SiouxSports.com Forum

What makes a great sports logo?

The Sicatoka

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So, we're going with the Green and White......interesting....

You may not have noticed, but they have used Green and White, which happen to be the school colors, in cheers for as long as they have been the school colors. They aren't going to stop just because of a new nickname.

2 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

You may not have noticed, but they have used Green and White, which happen to be the school colors, in cheers for as long as they have been the school colors. They aren't going to stop just because of a new nickname.

sorry I wasn't clear.   I meant still going with green and white, with hardly a mention of fighting hawks at some events.  

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

sorry I wasn't clear.   I meant still going with green and white, with hardly a mention of fighting hawks at some events.  

They will always use green and white, just as they have always used green and white. They used green and white when the nickname was Fighting Sioux. Hawks was picked during the last half of last semester. Then most people went home for the holidays. This semester started this week. It will take time to integrate a new nickname, it doesn't happen overnight. Some sports are probably putting more of an effort into making the change than others. They aren't going to drop everything they normally do to insert Fighting Hawks into everything. It will be a work in progress throughout this year and into next year, especially since a new logo won't be fully available until next year.

10 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Well I was watching the game on NCHC.tv so I can't speak to the start of the Game, but I don't think I heard "Fighting Hawks" once by the commentator or the announcer in the arena... wonder why that is...

Oh yes and... SIOUX YEA YEA!

But the football team chanted Lets Go Hawks at the Betty, I think there is a line of who the non supporters of the nickname is.

56 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Not sure why, Football has never used the logo before and likely will not start, same story for basketball.

Is that a reasoned analysis, or wishful thinking? I think it's fairly clear that UND is going all-in on the new name AND logo. Athletics (not just hockey) has multiple seats on the design firm selection committee. Football helmets are a great canvas for showcasing logo art, preferable in many ways to team uniforms and other types of athlete apparel. A great design will look awesome on the huge HD jumbotrons, even if the Alerus midfield turf remains bland. Football needs a boost in both attendance and gameday presentation, and for far too long has languished in the area of merchandise availability. Branding Fighting Hawk football will be job # 1, IMHO.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Not sure why, Football has never used the logo before and likely will not start, same story for basketball.

Actually when the Sioux logo was alive and well, UND football used the logo on the chest of their uniforms. Basketball used to have the geometric logo (prior to the latest Sioux logo) on their shorts along with the Sioux name on the jersey. It's been used just not lately.

On 1/17/2016 at 10:02 PM, ArchyAlum11 said:

Well I was watching the game on NCHC.tv so I can't speak to the start of the Game, but I don't think I heard "Fighting Hawks" once by the commentator or the announcer in the arena... wonder why that is...

The PA announcer used it to announce the coaches and while announcing penalties.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

http://www.prairiebizmag.com/event/article/id/26284/ - Checked out the work of some of the desingers listed in the article and I wasn't overly impressed, hope all the Hawk lovers are ready for a dumb cartoony hawk that will look dated in about 5 years.

I hope you Hawk haters are ready for a dumb cartoony hawk that will look dated in about 5 years. If that name and logo bothers you that much, that you can't watch a game without cringing at the sound of the word Hawk or will be blinded by seeing a Hawk on a jersey, you can always jump on the Bison bandwagon.

• Downvote 6

14 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I hope you Hawk haters are ready for a dumb cartoony hawk that will look dated in about 5 years. If that name and logo bothers you that much, that you can't watch a game without cringing at the sound of the word Hawk or will be blinded by seeing a Hawk on a jersey, you can always jump on the Bison bandwagon.

Enough of this garbage. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

I guess Archy was watching the wrong game.

To be fair I was watching on NCHC TV so I couldn't hear the arena announcer for every announcement, and I had work Saturday so I missed the 1st period. Though honestly I am just tired of all this, I probably won't ever acknowledge or like the new name and I doubt I will go out of my way to buy anything with the new name, but I will always cheer for University of North Dakota. So yea whatever happens with the new nick and logo I am totally going apathetic now.

15 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

To be fair I was watching on NCHC TV so I couldn't hear the arena announcer for every announcement, and I had work Saturday so I missed the 1st period. 

Then don't make a post like this:

On January 17, 2016 at 10:02 PM,  ArchyAlum11 said: 

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Enough of the booing garbage enough of the dumb cartoon logo garbage. See it works both ways.

Telling those people to go be fans of UND's rival isn't the answer. Time will ebb at the no nickname crowd. Allow it to work. As iluvdebbies said, the booing and Sioux forever chants are already showing signs of losing steam. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Telling those people to go be fans of UND's rival isn't the answer. Time will ebb at the no nickname crowd. Allow it to work. As iluvdebbies said, the booing and Sioux forever chants are already showing signs of losing steam. 

Maybe it's losing steam because when the media exposed it on social media the comments and reaction were less than favorable. But by continuing to bash the new nickname and predict a less than good logo by calling it cartoonish is just childish. I know it will take time to get used to this (cooling off period did nothing to help this), but the name is here to stay and the best thing to do is cheer for UND (people don't need to say Hawks), but leave the booing for a bad call.

20 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

To me, and I was only at Saturday's game, it seems the booing is losing some steam. It didn't seem as loud and the Sioux forever chant wasn't as enthusiastic either.

People are eventually going to just get bored with it.  The nickname selection is starting to become old news.  The emotions of the moment are fading, as will much of the energy behind the booing of the new nickname, UNLESS there is ever a sign that it might actually result in some sort of reconsideration.   Since that's likely not going to happen, the booing will eventually fade away.