SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoffs or bust

Nodak78

Is this right!?  S Utah has the 16th hardest schedule????  There wins include teams that are currently 5-5, 5-5, 4-6, 5-5, 2-8, 1-9 and the 0-11 d2 team.  Their losses are utah st 5-5, sdsu 8-2 and 8-2 port st.  The combined L-W record of the opposing teams are 43-58 includes d2 team and only sdsu playoff bound. Unds combined 45-55 includes fbs and montana ( potential) and ndsu as playoff bound.  Something doesn't add up 

It didn't make any sense to me either.

Schedule strength based off Massey Ratings.

I do think if its Southern Utah vs UND, UND gets in. 

Where do you draw the line? Do you punish a team for scheduling a D2 team, instead of Incarnate Word, yet they finish ahead of the others in the polls and conference standings (isn't that sorta what conferences are about to see how those teams compare against the same teams?) And have a harder schedule.

.....the committees history has said yes.

Basically if Southern Utah losses and UND wins and gets into the playoffs we can thank Southern Utah for its  scheduling mistake.

Edited by Cratter

Right or wrong it doesn't matter much, SUU either wins and gets the autobid or is out of the field with only 6 DI wins and zero impressive wins. 

SOS doesn't mean a ton to the committee unless it is either very strong or very weak. Impressive wins carry more weight, you guys should be the biggest PSU fans in the country on Saturday. Gets rid of EWU and that beefs up your big win a well. 

• Upvote 4

Right or wrong it doesn't matter much, SUU either wins and gets the autobid or is out of the field with only 6 DI wins and zero impressive wins. 

SOS doesn't mean a ton to the committee unless it is either very strong or very weak. Impressive wins carry more weight, you guys should be the biggest PSU fans in the country on Saturday. Gets rid of EWU and that beefs up your big win a well. 

Absolutely.  Also big fans of Montana State to eliminate the Griz.  Too lazy to look it up - are most of the other games schedule much earlier than UNDs game?  So we may have an idea what's going on before UND even takes the field?

Absolutely.  Also big fans of Montana State to eliminate the Griz.  Too lazy to look it up - are most of the other games schedule much earlier than UNDs game?  So we may have an idea what's going on before UND even takes the field?

Yeah, looks like your game is the last one on the FCS slate so you should know just where you stand.

Nova is another team to watch out for, if they beat JMU they would have three wins over playoff teams. Lose and they are done. 

griz/mtu at 1(root), others start at either 2 or 4 (all cst on eversport), UND at 8, so all should be done when und/cp starts

Edited by sprig

Don't forget that losing to ISU hurts a lot too.  Yes they look at SOS but also who you lost to.  That loss was a very bad one for a team that will be hanging on the bubble.  I would like to see UND make it in and hopefully some of those other games play out in your favor. 

Then, they look at trends and see UND lost 3 in a row there.  Why I wonder?  Oh, then they won 3 in a row to end the year.  Why I wonder?  How you finish is as big as any loss you have.  Who you beat is way bigger than who you lost to when you're 7-4.  

Losing to Idaho State is not going to keep UND out of the playoffs.

Yes but if you have a bunch of 7-4 teams with similar SOS, do you think they would take a 7-4 team losing to ISU over a 7-4 team having their worst loss to say Montana?

What was there best win?  UND's look pretty good compared to most 7-4 teams right now, with Montana having as good of wins.  

A big win, or two in UND's case, are way more important than a bad loss.

For the record that Wyoming win is starting to look about the same as beating a Northern Colorado team.  They are 1-10 and have hardly even been that close in a large chunk of their games.  Yes it's an FBS win but it's a very weak FBS win.

At this point might as well draw them out of a damn hat. 

For the record that Wyoming win is starting to look about the same as beating a Northern Colorado team.  They are 1-10 and have hardly even been that close in a large chunk of their games.  Yes it's an FBS win but it's a very weak FBS win.

It is FBS  and FBS counts more than FCS period.

• Upvote 1

yes and the losses count too.

You have no clue.  You are so hung up on 1 bad loss, one.  The rest of the losses are to winning or .500 teams. 

You completely ignore PSU win and Wyoming win.  Committee won't even care about that loss after seeing rest of the schedule.  

Oh, and Simple Rating System.  Heard of it?

Don't forget that losing to ISU hurts a lot too.  Yes they look at SOS but also who you lost to.  That loss was a very bad one for a team that will be hanging on the bubble.  I would like to see UND make it in and hopefully some of those other games play out in your favor. 

That doesn't have anything to do with SOS.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's how UND doesn't get in?: 

Eastern Washington beats Portland State. EWU is in.

Montana beats Montana State. Montana is in.

Winner of SSU and NAU.

Portland State is already in.

.....I'm not sure five teams would get in from the Big Sky.

It would be do they choose EWU or UND with identical records. Do they choose UND with the FBS win or EWU with the better conference record?

Another reason to cheer for Southern Utah, Montana State, and Portland of course, because otherwise EWU losses could all potentially be against playoff teams (If UNI wins they are probably in...Go Southern Illinois) and the Oregon Ducks.

Edited by Cratter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's how UND doesn't get in?: 

Eastern Washington beats Portland State. EWU is in.

Montana beats Montana State. Montana is in.

Winner of SSU and NAU.

Portland State is already in.

.....I'm not sure five teams would get in from the Big Sky.

It would be do they choose EWU or UND with identical records. Do they choose UND with the FBS win or EWU with the better conference record?

Another reason to cheer for Southern Utah, Montana State, and Portland of course, because otherwise EWU losses could all potentially be against playoff teams (If UNI wins they are probably in...Go Southern Illinois) and the Oregon Ducks.

Yes