SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoffs or bust

Nodak78

that guy is awesome.  He had about 3 Northern Colorado players ready to jump into the bleachers last weekend.  Two of them had to be held back.  

I saw that too....heard commotion from section over. Looked over and saw a coach restraining a UNC player. :lol:

Would love to know what he said that got under his skin. 

That's why I'm against moving the student section.

I wasn't too far away when that commotion happened.  I like to think my constant yelling and whistling took an emotional toll on UNC too. 

I agree that the student section was pathetic.  When I was there 98-03 I got to experience Memorial Stadium.  We would get so sauced and walk to the game from Wash Hall; chests painted and annoyingly loud, but we were awesome fans.

I just think no one wants to deal with heading/driving/shuttling to the Alerus when they are half in the bag.  If Memorial Stadium got revamped there would be no excuse not to go, cause you can walk there.

Anyone see that tuba player running around the field before the game?  We joked that Bubba was going to have him suit up after we went up 45-Nuts.

Edited by Descartes

pretty sure you're referring to Brandon Quesenberry's little brother. He's pretty funny during games and stands up the entire time.

I saw he was razzing the UNC bench pretty good... Couldn't hear everything he said but he finished it with "the State of North Dakota loves you."  Haha, great stuff.

• Upvote 2

I wasn't too far away when that commotion happened.  I like to think my constant yelling and whistling took an emotional toll on UNC too. 

I agree that the student section was pathetic.  When I was there 98-03 I got to experience Memorial Stadium.  We would get so sauced and walk to the game from Wash Hall; chests painted and annoyingly loud, but we were awesome fans.

I just think no one wants to deal with heading/driving/shuttling to the Alerus when they are half in the bag.  If Memorial Stadium got revamped there would be no excuse not to go, cause you can walk there.

Anyone see that tuba player running around the field before the game?  We joked that Bubba was going to have him suit up after we went up 45-Nuts.

When I was a rug rat I would always meet up with friends on the track at Memorial and go right behind the opposing teams' players sitting on their bench. We were maybe 9-10 and would yell things at the opposing OL about how fat they were. One time a hog from Augustana turned around after a good hour of "hey, 72, hey 72, hey 72....... you're fat." and yelled at us to shut the f up. One of his coaches chewed his ass big time as we stood there laughing. It's right up there with the times we would throw snow balls at the refs and opposing players.

Well, if UND beats Cal Poly and has to play on the road against a school with a 6,000 seat capacity stadium, I'll be upset. 

No reason UND and Faison shouldn't expect at least 6,000 or 7,000 people (maybe more) for a first round playoff game.

With that said, outbidding UNI or SDSU would be tough but not impossible.  

UNI is usually cash strapped, as they pay Jacobson a ton of coin.  Iowa and Iowa St games often take a toll on their attendance too.  But they own the UNI DOME, so they keep the gate.  The Alerus takes a chunk of each ticket.

UNI is usually cash strapped, as they pay Jacobson a ton of coin.  Iowa and Iowa St games often take a toll on their attendance too.  But they own the UNI DOME, so they keep the gate.  The Alerus takes a chunk of each ticket.

Certainly all makes sense.

When it comes down to it, if UND wants to compete for FCS titles, they need to be willing to make legitimate payouts at times. Northern Iowa and South Dakota State are no better institutionally than the University of North Dakota, and everyone should agree with that. Now, are Northern Iowa and South Dakota State more invested in their football programs? That is a question that gets a little iffy. In the past, no question, but where is UND's mindset now? 

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/stats-fcs-top-25

According to the STATS poll, UND has enough votes for the #32 spot.

If they were to beat Cal Poly, they could rise into the high 20s (29 or 28); would that be enough to get in?

Obviously the # of DI wins and the FBS win will be looked at, but I think a legitimate position in the polls will also be important for UND to get an at-large bid out of the Big Sky Conference. Losing that Idaho State game when UND was ranked #25 really hurt as far as poll positioning goes...

I would guess that the same 7-8k people would be at the alerus if we host a playoff game...I don't think the lease at the alerus says anything about playoff games?? what if the game was at the old memorial stadium...pack the west side and have standing room only all around the track and east side...bring as many food vendors and have them set up shop....turn this into a huge party and hope for poor weather with high winds so our secondary would be not exposed so much....and we keep all the gate receipts....

I would guess that the same 7-8k people would be at the alerus if we host a playoff game...I don't think the lease at the alerus says anything about playoff games?? what if the game was at the old memorial stadium...pack the west side and have standing room only all around the track and east side...bring as many food vendors and have them set up shop....turn this into a huge party and hope for poor weather with high winds so our secondary would be not exposed so much....and we keep all the gate receipts....

ABSOLUTE DISASTER

You're probably joking, but in the event you're not, its just not capable of hosting anything right now. It would be a mess and, quite frankly, an embarrassment. The lease with the Alerus Center should cover playoff games; it did from 2001 to 2007. Why wouldn't it cover playoff games now? Faison really would be a screw-up if they couldn't host games; he probably wouldn't even bid if that was the reality of the situation. 

half serious half joking...if the same 7k people would show up at either why not?? we keep all revenue imagine a chuck and duck team coming here in a couple weeks when its 15 degrees and 45mph wind...no one can run on us and if you can't throw I would say we would have a 90% of beating almost anyone...plus it might breath a little life into these fans...I sit all the way up in 217 and I can hear the opposing teams coaches talking to their players all the way up there....open up the hpac and have tailgating in the old east lot (whats left of it) and lets have a big old party

I say only 6,000 at most would show up to the Alerus Center for a football game on November 28.  I say about 3,000 at most would show up to Memorial for a football game on November 28.  It's a terrible facility and everyone who has been there knows it, some just aren't willing to admit it.  And I'm talking about before it sat vacant for 15 years.

half serious half joking...if the same 7k people would show up at either why not?? we keep all revenue imagine a chuck and duck team coming here in a couple weeks when its 15 degrees and 45mph wind...no one can run on us and if you can't throw I would say we would have a 90% of beating almost anyone...plus it might breath a little life into these fans...I sit all the way up in 217 and I can hear the opposing teams coaches talking to their players all the way up there....open up the hpac and have tailgating in the old east lot (whats left of it) and lets have a big old party

I understand what you're saying, but there needs to be some renovations done before playing on campus again can be a possibility. The capabilities of Memorial are not fit for hosting games right now. 

I say only 6,000 at most would show up to the Alerus Center for a football game on November 28.  I say about 3,000 at most would show up to Memorial for a football game on November 28.  It's a terrible facility and everyone who has been there knows it, some just aren't willing to admit it.  And I'm talking about before it sat vacant for 15 years.

Agreed. 

I disagree about 3k...yeah its a dump but it would definitely create a home field advantage and the novelty of it might get around 5k there or more... the tailgating part would be crazy....

I'm pretty sure that the NCAA gets most of the revenue from playoff games just like they do for all NCAA tournaments. The venues make some money as a rental and off concessions. The traveling schools get expenses paid. The host schools make some money if there are enough tickets sold, but I also believe that they have to guarantee whatever the minimum amount is in their bid. So games can cost schools money if not enough tickets are sold to meet the minimum in the bid. But schools are not making huge piles of cash on the playoffs even if they sell out their stadiums.

3,000 is probably the max that would show up outside at the end of November. If the weather turned cold, windy, or snowy that number would drop.

Pretty sure Montana thought the same thing when CCU went to Missoula on an incredibly cold bad weather day, and handed to the Griz

Edited by jacksfan29

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/stats-fcs-top-25

According to the STATS poll, UND has enough votes for the #32 spot.

If they were to beat Cal Poly, they could rise into the high 20s (29 or 28); would that be enough to get in?

Obviously the # of DI wins and the FBS win will be looked at, but I think a legitimate position in the polls will also be important for UND to get an at-large bid out of the Big Sky Conference. Losing that Idaho State game when UND was ranked #25 really hurt as far as poll positioning goes...

The selection committee does not consider polls when determining the playoff field.  It might be an indicator for the teams in, but I'm not sure what extent?

Yes. Gate is how they determine the amount they bid and the bids are put in for all rounds  before the first round is played.

I'm pretty sure that the NCAA gets most of the revenue from playoff games just like they do for all NCAA tournaments. The venues make some money as a rental and off concessions. The traveling schools get expenses paid. The host schools make some money if there are enough tickets sold, but I also believe that they have to guarantee whatever the minimum amount is in their bid. So games can cost schools money if not enough tickets are sold to meet the minimum in the bid. But schools are not making huge piles of cash on the playoffs even if they sell out their stadiums.

3,000 is probably the max that would show up outside at the end of November. If the weather turned cold, windy, or snowy that number would drop.

Everything you said is correct.  In places like Fargo or Mizzoula it is easier to count on the sellout making it less risky to bid high and fargo likes the hotel, restaurant, and mall commerce created by a playoff game and that may be factored in somehow.  Being city owned would make a home playoff game a revenue generater for the city of GF

• Upvote 1