SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. BADgers

AZSIOUX

Honestly, I think this sets up as a trap game for us this weekend, especially Friday.  Wisconsin has nothing to lose.  First time in a long time they'll play in front of anything resembling a decent crowd.

I'm a little worried that our extraordinarily weak schedule to date has created a bit of a paper tiger.  Our defensemen are going to have to be especially good, not only in their own zone, but offensively as well, methinks.

Also, they'll be minus Drake C.

Honestly, I think this sets up as a trap game for us this weekend, especially Friday.  Wisconsin has nothing to lose.  First time in a long time they'll play in front of anything resembling a decent crowd.

I'm a little worried that our extraordinarily weak schedule to date has created a bit of a paper tiger.  Our defensemen are going to have to be especially good, not only in their own zone, but offensively as well, methinks.

It will be the first time that the Badger freshmen will be playing in front of a rabid hostile crowd.  That could impact them on Friday night.

Our strength of schedule is bad but so is Wisconsin. We've beaten bad teams which bodes well for us against the badgers. 

And it's the first wweek of November, pretty early for the got nothing to lose, which means nothing at any point, to start getting thrown around. 

I get what you are saying but I absolutely hate the term "trap game". In fact they did a study on it disproving the theory there was such a thing. I see no letdown from last weekends sweep vs CC as we didnt even play that well Saturday, and I dont think they are looking ahead to Miami at this point. Perhaps we just suck and get beat but certainly not a trap of any sorts. Sorry for the rant just hate the term and its so called definition.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. Wisco will be as bad of a team as we've seen all season, very similar to CC or Maine. Now we obviously tied Maine because we ran into a hot tendy. But this term of "trap game" is kind of bogus to me. It's hockey, weird outcomes will happen, but not too often. The fact we tied Maine leads me to believe that situation wont pop up for a bit. And one could argue Maine is a better team the wisco (maybe).

Edited by scpa0305
  • Upvote 2

Seemed pretty borderline to me. It looks like he hit high on the guys shoulder, but maybe he clipped the front of the mask. I usually try to look at these objectively, as though it was a CC guy hitting a Sioux guy. I don't think I would be upset about that hit if it had been on a Sioux player.

Oh well, Drake better watch himself for the rest of the year. Which can also be dangerous because you don't want a guy playing with hesitation either.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. Wisco will be as bad of a team as we've seen all season, very similar to CC or Maine. Now we obviously tied Maine because we ran into a hot tendy. But this term of "trap game" is kind of bogus to me. It's hockey, weird outcomes will happen, but not too often. The fact we tied Maine leads me to believe that situation wont pop up for a bit. And one could argue Maine is a better team the wisco (maybe).

Wisconsin has some high end guys though in Besse and Kunin.  Hopefully we limit chances like we have thus far, but if Besse has a chance to get his shot off in the slot, we will find out just how much Hyrinkiw has improved since his first game.  If UND has the type of puck control they have had early in the season, that might not be a factor, but hopefully we don't find out.  Wisconsin did tie Northern Michigan twice who beat and tied Bemidji State like we did.  I know matching scores isn't much benefit, but it does give an idea if a team can be competitive in any given game.   

Edited by tnt

This will be a slightly tougher challenge than CC IMO, I dont know if you can be much worse than that CC team we just played. Never easy games in college hockey, no nights off.

If there are never easy games, what the hell are people worried about this weekend? No one knows what any of these teams will look like at the end of the year. To say that we're not as good as our #1 ranking is asinine. The boys have earned that ranking, and have gotten the business done in every game this season. Are there times they haven't looked as good, yes, but that happens in every game, every night.

• Upvote 4

If there are never easy games, what the hell are people worried about this weekend? No one knows what any of these teams will look like at the end of the year. To say that we're not as good as our #1 ranking is asinine. The boys have earned that ranking, and have gotten the business done in every game this season. Are there times they haven't looked as good, yes, but that happens in every game, every night.

A breath of fresh air.

• Upvote 1

They've earned it for sure. And the sign of a good team is one that wins even when they don't have their best.  One thing I've noticed from this year to past years is we are consistently outshooting and out-possessing teams.  Our team has looked quite veteran for having 11 freshmen on it.  So far it's fun to watch, hopefully they can continue to have success once we get into the meat of our schedule.

I think most people with common sense know this. We are #1 in nation for a reason. I for one am not worried, just think a rivalry game back in the Ralph will be awesome. Hoping for 2 blowouts.

• Upvote 3

They've earned it for sure. And the sign of a good team is one that wins even when they don't have their best.  One thing I've noticed from this year to past years is we are consistently outshooting and out-possessing teams.  Our team has looked quite veteran for having 11 freshmen on it.  So far it's fun to watch, hopefully they can continue to have success once we get into the meat of our schedule.

There's something to this, UND is 3rd in the nation for Corsi Numbers

Edited by Goon

Just watched the "water bottle" incident again, i just love listening to those announcers, It's all North Dakotas fault, they must not have seen Eades getting squirted with the water bottle. They're all bush league, no.... the Sioux just dont back down from anyone or hide behind anyone and that is awesome!!!!!!

GO SIOUX!!!

• Upvote 1

Just watched the "water bottle" incident again, i just love listening to those announcers, It's all North Dakotas fault, they must not have seen Eades getting squirted with the water bottle. They're all bush league, no.... the Sioux just dont back down from anyone or hide behind anyone and that is awesome!!!!!!

GO SIOUX!!!

...and North Dakota has done it again! 

• Upvote 2

Anybody else think that the announcer (whiner) sounded a lot like "Captain Binghamton" from the old "McHale's Navy" tv show?

I remember when I used to work the UND summer hockey camp, the kids always wanted to see this tape of the "water bottle incident."  I think that tape always seemed to be laying around near the vcr in the lecture room at the old Ralph.