SiouxSports.com Forum

Target Center Upgrades

MafiaMan

The X is available??  Then why would the NCHC even consider the Target Center!  The Xcel is a hockey first venue, and a very nice one at that.  St. Paul is a hockey town, and we've always enjoyed the area around the arena before and after games.  If the vast majority of players and fans prefer the X, that should take precedence over some kind of "branding" opportunity for the league in Minneapolis. Lots of folks I know who travel all over during the season and postseason are talking about skipping the NCHC tourney.  If UND fans don't support it, who will?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I have attended every WCHA and now NCHC Final 5 since 2000 I believe. This year it is going to be a coin flip as to whether I attend or not. Most of the group I usually go with have all expressed a less than overwhelming desire to attend another hockey game at the Target Center.

Yes it is getting much more difficult for me finding people to attend each year as well and I'm getting close to not going myself. There should be an email chain sent to the NCHC and Fenton stating the desire to move the tourney to the X.

9 minutes ago, hky said:

The X is available??  Then why would the NCHC even consider the Target Center!  The Xcel is a hockey first venue, and a very nice one at that.  St. Paul is a hockey town, and we've always enjoyed the area around the arena before and after games.  If the vast majority of players and fans prefer the X, that should take precedence over some kind of "branding" opportunity for the league in Minneapolis. Lots of folks I know who travel all over during the season and postseason are talking about skipping the NCHC tourney.  If UND fans don't support it, who will?

Yep.  The WCHA has moved on-campus for its playoffs and the B10 is in Detroit in 2017.  Next year, they'll be on-campus too.  I said it before and I'll say it again:  Whatever the buyout cost for Target Center is, Fenton should be writing the check TOMORROW.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Yep.  The WCHA has moved on-campus for its playoffs and the B10 is in Detroit in 2017.  Next year, they'll be on-campus too.  I said it before and I'll say it again:  Whatever the buyout cost for Target Center is, Fenton should be writing the check TOMORROW.  

Nearly bankrupt a conference to move to a different arena? I'd definitely prefer a move to the X as its facilities will benefit me personally during the Frozen Faceoff week.  But we've seen that a vocal part of SiouxSports does not speak for the general UND fan.  There were a lot of people who said after year 1 at TC that they'd never go back.  Yet, attendance went up nearly 6,000 people in year two.  There were more people who said they'd never go back after year 2 and attendance only dropped 500 people from year 2 to year 3.  

Remember, Fenton didn't sign the deal with the Target Center. That happened before he arrived.  However, realize that the NCHC is a business and the Target Center is/will offer significantly more in return compared to the X.

And please don't get me started on the quote below.  UND fans do support it, that's why there's been more than 22,000 people there the last two years.  That's not going to change despite you and your "lots of folks."

1 hour ago, hky said:

If UND fans don't support it, who will?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hky said:

I believe it was originally signed as a 5-year deal with an opt-out after 3 but don't quote me on that. We are now entering year 4 so obviously no opt-out and like I mentioned in an earlier post I believe I have heard that Fenton is in the process of negotiating a new deal with TC.

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Remember, Fenton didn't sign the deal with the Target Center. That happened before he arrived.  However, realize that the NCHC is a business and the Target Center is/will offer significantly more in return compared to the X.

Like what?  Frozen ice this year as opposed to slush?  Crunch shooting Timberwolves t-shirts into the crowd during time-outs?  The Target Center promised a lot of changes and has to this point failed to deliver anything.  Target Center is a business, indeed, and I will continue to voice my own opinion by not attending games there.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Like what?  Frozen ice this year as opposed to slush?  Crunch shooting Timberwolves t-shirts into the crowd during time-outs?  The Target Center promised a lot of changes and has to this point failed to deliver anything.  Target Center is a business, indeed, and I will continue to voice my own opinion by not attending games there.  

Guessing he's referring to the share of ticket sales.

On 7/29/2016 at 6:36 AM, I Ranger said:

100% agree. Minneapolis has more hotel options therefore you can usually find decent rates. I paid under $100 a night the past two years in Minneapolis. In St. Paul, you were almost certainly paying $200/night but I would make that trade any day for the tourney to be back at the X. Huge difference between Minneapolis and St. Paul. St. Paul is a hockey town and Minneapolis simply is not.

On 7/29/2016 at 8:04 AM, bigskyvikes said:

That's crazy, we always stayed in the 3m district, $150 a night. Bar connected, newer motel, very clean and the rooms were very quiet.

I miss that yearly trip, bringing it back to the X would be awesome! 

Oh, it was a $20 cab ride to the X including the tip, or a free shuttle ride from the Holiday inn, but only on their schedule. Hard to beat that...

I always used to get the Best Western Regency Plaza Hotel-St. Paul East, located in Oakdale, MN. It is one mile north of the I94-I494-I694 interchange and has several restaurants nearby (Demori's, IHOP, Sgt. Peppers Bar & Grille). It is an easy drive from the east to downtown St. Paul. I also have figured out how to get a room there for about $50 using Priceline's Name Your Own Price feature every single time. If the NCHC moves the tournament to the X, I am definitely staying there again.

23 hours ago, southpaw said:

Nearly bankrupt a conference to move to a different arena? I'd definitely prefer a move to the X as its facilities will benefit me personally during the Frozen Faceoff week.  But we've seen that a vocal part of SiouxSports does not speak for the general UND fan.  There were a lot of people who said after year 1 at TC that they'd never go back.  Yet, attendance went up nearly 6,000 people in year two.  There were more people who said they'd never go back after year 2 and attendance only dropped 500 people from year 2 to year 3.  

And please don't get me started on the quote below.  UND fans do support it, that's why there's been more than 22,000 people there the last two years.  That's not going to change despite you and your "lots of folks."

How in the HECK are they getting any kind of "significant return" with the crowds they have drawn to Target Center since this tournament started? Nothing but empty seats if one of the teams isn't North Dakota. What happens if we don't make it one year? It will look like the B1G tournament last year at the X. It would make the league look bad. We should seriously think about getting rid of the post-season tournament like the B1G and WCHA have done.

On 10/5/2016 at 10:58 AM, I Ranger said:

Yes it is getting much more difficult for me finding people to attend each year as well and I'm getting close to not going myself. There should be an email chain sent to the NCHC and Fenton stating the desire to move the tourney to the X.

You don't think the X would want a bigger chunk of revenue than what the TC is getting? What happens if all "these fans" that don't show up at the X? Yes, the TC has its faults but it takes time for things to get remodeled when you still have a main tenet that has to play there. 

If you are looking for someone to attend it with you, I will be there with my wife...

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

How in the HECK are they getting any kind of "significant return" with the crowds they have drawn to Target Center since this tournament started? Nothing but empty seats if one of the teams isn't North Dakota. What happens if we don't make it one year? It will look like the B1G tournament last year at the X. It would make the league look bad. We should seriously think about getting rid of the post-season tournament like the B1G and WCHA have done.

Those empty seats to the non-UND games have already been sold.  The NCHC still makes money if UND fans only go to their games.  Concessions may be less but they've still got the money from selling those seats.

UND not making it one year is why the NCHC won't buy out their contract with the Target Center.  The conference is well-prepared for UND to not make it a couple years.  It won't be pretty but it is a reality.

It also costs a lot less to fly (or bus) four teams to the cities on 4-day notice instead of trying to find flights for four teams into places like Grand Forks and Oxford.  The first weekend of playoff travel  already costs enough headaches and money.  The return on tickets would be a lot less at home venues compared to the Frozen Faceoff as well.

• Upvote 2

I have said for awhile that the Sanford Center in Sioux Falls would be a better option.  The place hosts hockey all winter long, so they know how it should be done.  Centrally located for the majority of the conference but still a short drive for most schools (most importantly UND fans, only 4 and half hours from GF).  Holds just over $10,000 for hockey.  The Summit Tournament is 2 weeks before so that is not a problem. Just have to schedule the Stampede around it.  Sioux Falls would make the Frozen Faceoff a huge deal if it moved the tournament there.  Get er done!!

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I have said for awhile that the Sanford Center in Sioux Falls would be a better option.  The place hosts hockey all winter long, so they know how it should be done.  Centrally located for the majority of the conference but still a short drive for most schools (most importantly UND fans, only 4 and half hours from GF).  Holds just over $10,000 for hockey.  The Summit Tournament is 2 weeks before so that is not a problem. Just have to schedule the Stampede around it.  Sioux Falls would make the Frozen Faceoff a huge deal if it moved the tournament there.  Get er done!!

I call BS, the Sanford Center could hold way more than $10,000

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I think the reason it should stay in Minneapolis is because there is a huge alumni base to draw from.

I'd be willing to try the Sandford Center & Sioux Falls 

TC center I'm done there

NCHC is making a huge mistake not going back to the X at the 1st opportunity  - It has never been about cost to me or my family - It used to be one of our favorite weekends of the year - now we stay home & watch on TV

Having a home Saturday day game with the Wild made it even better