SiouxSports.com Forum

ISU Game Day Thread

Sioux94

We had them dead to rights if we get a stop up 31-15 with the offense steam rolling them. Couldn'tget pressure to stop their wrs. Magnum is the second best in the conference and showed it today. Bartels needs to be third string and that's pretty clear after today. We need Georges back and Reyes back and need to get back to work. We have a good team this year but can't have 3 turnovers to start the game. That cost us. We could have killed their spirit early and put them away. Instead we let them hang around and spotted them points and the monster awoke and it bit us in the ass. Hopefully the team learns from today.

actually had them dead to rights and just slightly overshot Iwarri Smith on a great play call.  He catches that and we are 1 and 10 at the 30 with minimum of a field goal likely and chance to go up 19. That was a big play. 

Tried watching online, but that feed killed me so I went golfing instead.

Am I correct that the core of this team is Freshmen and Sophomores who really need another year to experience what winning is? I know Ratelle and other leaders will be gone, but I'm remaining hopeful in the process. I just don't think this is the playoff year though.

Let's not sugar-coat it: This was a bad loss. Pure and simple.

I do not want to hear from anyone what an outstanding football team Idaho State is because they are not outstanding. They are just not very good. And we blew a big lead at home and lost to them. This feels like the Weber State game last year. Weber State comes to Grand Forks winless and leaves Grand Forks with their first W of the season. Prediction: Idaho State does not win another game this season.

Also, is anyone else sick to death of opposing fans having victory parties in our house? That is getting really old. I know that will change as Bubba gets better talent in here, but I have just about had my full of watching that over the past 3 years or so. There was a time when a trip to the Alerus Center was difficult for opposing teams and fans, not a cure for what ails them.

This is a case of two steps forward (last week vs. Portland State) and one step back (today vs. Idaho State). This team simply does not have the depth to withstand the inevitable injuries that happen in a sport like this. That will come with more recruiting classes and that will take time.

As Bubba would tell us, #daybyday

• Upvote 2

One last point, we put ZERO pressure on their QB. You cannot let a QB sit back in the pocket and go through all his reads before he has to throw it. You could have Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Darrell Green and Ed Reed back there, but if the QB can just sit there and zing it all game, you are going to give up yards through the air. If we are banged up on the back end, we will need to do something to generate more pressure from the front seven. What happened today must not happen week after week or this season might go into nuclear meltdown.

One last point, we put ZERO pressure on their QB. You cannot let a QB sit back in the pocket and go through all his reads before he has to throw it. You could have Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Darrell Green and Ed Reed back there, but if the QB can just sit there and zing it all game, you are going to give up yards through the air. If we are banged up on the back end, we will need to do something to generate more pressure from the front seven. What happened today must not happen week after week or this season might go into nuclear meltdown.

The QB didn't need to go through any reads. Just tossed it out to a wide open #7 every play. 

• Upvote 1

The QB didn't need to go through any reads. Just tossed it out to a wide open #7 every play. 

Today's game reminded me of the Denny Green-led Minnesota Vikings of the mid-1990's. Stuff the run, rely on the back four to cover receivers and you are good to go. Except it doesn't work. It didn't work in the 1990's with the Vikings and it didn't work today. Every great defense I have ever seen has been predicated on terrorizing the QB and disrupting the flow of the offense. Once you accomplish that, INTs and fumbles soon follow, and usually in bunches. Obviously, this team does not have the depth or talent to do this right now, but that is where we need to get to or today will happen again. And again.

Also, this makes CB Chris Brown's decision to leave the team a few weeks ago look even more selfish and shortsighted. He almost definitely would have gotten a chance to get back on the field with our injury situation right now, but he chose to take his ball and go home. Unfortunate really, for him and the team.

• Upvote 1

All you guys wonder why the hell students don't show up, this is why. We finally get a good team and a good crowd at a home game. Yet we go and take a giant dump, against arguably a very crappy team. This kind of game does not instal confidence in our student body.

Nearly all the students left before the collapse. So not too much harm done there. 

All you guys wonder why the hell students don't show up, this is why. We finally get a good team and a good crowd at a home game. Yet we go and take a giant dump, against arguably a very crappy team. This kind of game does not instal confidence in our student body.

Totally fair point. Obviously, the fan base is still a little gun-shy from the poor teams we have had since we moved up. It will take some time to get them back.

It has to be pointed out that ISU has a very good offense. They aren't good because their defense sucks. Our offense isn't explosive enough on the outside to exploit them the way others have this year. We need Clive and his speed.

I still think this was a bad loss. ISU was totally dependent on the passing game. They had been giving up tons of yards and points this year, especially on the ground. At home, this is a game you absolutely must win. That is a hurdle our program has to re-learn how to overcome.

• Upvote 1

the drop off from zach and cole to the guys that played today is night and day...bubba will get this fixed but it will take time....

but really a bomb to the end zone on fourth down??? really?

I didn't really have a problem with that call. There wasn't much time left. Your offense had stalled against the "vaunted" ISU defense. You could have gotten either a) a touchdown or b) a PI call (which I think there should have been). But it just didn't happen. Sometimes, you just gotta pull out all the tricks to win games. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

I still think this was a bad loss. ISU was totally dependent on the passing game. They had been giving up tons of yards and points this year, especially on the ground. At home, this is a game you absolutely must win. That is a hurdle our program has to re-learn how to overcome.

It's a horrible loss. We gave them 3 turnovers in the first half, otherwise we smoke them. Any time you let a team with an explosive offense hang around it's dangerous because as we saw they can explode at any time.

there were many times... Pretty much every ssnap it felt like... I thought ISU was called for penalties and I just hadn't heard the whistle because their QB was literally just standing there as if there was a whistle. Zero pass rush. 

Not sure where you guys go from here other than to keep working. The atmosphere in there reminded me of the BSA. You can tell football is second class up here. Gets the basketball treatment I saw in Fargo.

the drop off from zach and cole to the guys that played today is night and day...bubba will get this fixed but it will take time....

but really a bomb to the end zone on fourth down??? really?

You can't judge a play-call on its result. Rudolph likely expected Idaho State to playing the chains, just as you apparently were thinking. If Santiago was able to run wide open and catch that for the win, I'm pretty sure no one would be critical of the call. 

• Upvote 1

Today shows us that luck cannot support wins all year against mediocre opponents. Let's get real and realize this was the second best offense we have played this year. We are still young and made some big mistakes with the turnovers. I think we played very well in the first half despite the TOs. That late half drive by studs was very promising. We have a good team but it will take a while to become a playoff one. I only see one more for sure win the rest of the year and the rest will be tough games that we could easily lose. I honestly didn't think we were a 4-1 type of team today and we played more like a 2-3 team. It's pretty  sad to see us lose this game in he 4th quarter. If studs is out it will be good to see bartles in action for a full game

there were many times... Pretty much every ssnap it felt like... I thought ISU was called for penalties and I just hadn't heard the whistle because their QB was literally just standing there as if there was a whistle. Zero pass rush. 

Not sure where you guys go from here other than to keep working. The atmosphere in there reminded me of the BSA. You can tell football is second class up here. Gets the basketball treatment I saw in Fargo.

Well, like Bubba said when he took this job, #daybyday. Rome wasn't built overnight and neither will this program. And I am a little surprised that NDSU Men's Basketball doesn't get more love with some of the success they have had since moving up. That is really too bad for those guys; they work just as hard as anyone on the football team.

Today shows us what an average QB and a good passing offense can do against our defense. This is what the bison did and isu was the next team to do this to us. I loved being 4-1 but we never were as good as that shows. We have a good future ahead but we still need to work on things and try out other players .

• Downvote 1

Today shows us that luck cannot support wins all year against mediocre opponents. Let's get real and realize this was the second best offense we have played this year. We are still young and made some big mistakes with the turnovers. I think we played very well in the first half despite the TOs. That late half drive by studs was very promising. We have a good team but it will take a while to become a playoff one. I only see one more for sure win the rest of the year and the rest will be tough games that we could easily lose. I honestly didn't think we were a 4-1 type of team today and we played more like a 2-3 team. It's pretty  sad to see us lose this game in he 4th quarter. If studs is out it will be good to see bartles in action for a full game

Like I said above, two steps forward and one step back. Last week's win was not a fluke and this week's loss does not necessarily mark the end of the season for this team. A winning record is definitely within reach for this team. And that would be yet another two steps forward.