SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Maine - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

USCHO has MS beating LSSU 4-1

State lost to LSSU.  So they had a tie and a loss.

LSSU had a loss and a win.

Maine had two ties.

UND had a win and a tie.

Hmm...I see that now CHN also has Mich State with a win over LSSU.  Last night their scoreboard was flipped, with LSSU taking the win.  And both LSSU and MS websites credit Mich State with the win, so...

LSSU had two losses.

Maine had two ties.

Michigan State had a tie and a win.

UND had a tie and a win.  

Hmm....it would seem that the hardware should be split?  Or is there some other tiebreaker stat?

Hmm...I see that now CHN also has Mich State with a win over LSSU.  Last night their scoreboard was flipped, with LSSU taking the win.  And both LSSU and MS websites credit Mich State with the win, so...

LSSU had two losses.

Maine had two ties.

Michigan State had a tie and a win.

UND had a tie and a win.  

Hmm....it would seem that the hardware should be split?  Or is there some other tiebreaker stat?

goals against was the tiebreaker

Its hilarious some people on here are getting worked up over a tie...  At the beginning of the season... With 11 freshmen... Where we vastly outplayed them... In their home state

I'm nothing but excited for this teams potential when they get going.

• Upvote 2

Its hilarious some people on here are getting worked up over a tie...  At the beginning of the season... With 11 freshmen... Where we vastly outplayed them... In their home state

Blais woulda had them ready to play

Feel the same way! 

Read on here last night someone was "embarrassed"! I don't get it? Apparently the only way this team is loved, is undefeated and steam rolls every other team:unsure:

Edited by bigskyvikes
  • Upvote 1

Feel the same way! 

Read on here last night someone was "embarrassed"! I don't get it? Apparently the only way this team is loved, is undefeated and steam rolls every other team:unsure:

That was me.  More knee jerk reaction than anything.  We obviously dominated the play so i was happy about that.  Initially frustrated we didn't get the win.  Maine is not a good team.  I guess it could have been worse, we could have lost to Vermont at home to open up the year :)

Edited by scpa0305

That was me.  More knee jerk reaction than anything.  We obviously dominated the play so i was happy about that.  Initially frustrated we didn't get the win.  Maine is not a good team.  I guess it could have been worse, we could have lost to Vermont at home to open up the year :)

I was disappointed also at the tie, but the way these guys buzz (according to what TH said) and the excitement they are causing with media chatter! I'm still a believer in Cam, and the talk of Tomek, I am nothing but excited!

With that said, the Beavs look good?

What's with this website and all the clitchy letter stuff that happens with my phone? 

Go Sioux! 

From our vantage point this was not a hot goalie issue.  UND fired way too many pucks  at the center of the net, right into the goalie.  And they missed a number of prime opportunities.  He did not have to play spectacular, just make the basic save and not give up an easy rebound.  UND dominated this game from start to finish except for very late in the second period when they got tired.  Knowledgeable Maine fans recognized that they got outplayed.  Unfortunately there were many Maine fans who thought they won an NCAA tournament.  They could not understand that this goes into the books as a tie for NCAA purposes.  Cam Johnson got a good game under his belt.  He played solid, although Maine did not have a ton of shots.

This team could do some really good things this year, although the NCHC will provide much better competition than the Icebreaker did.

I think Maine has had some lean years recently, so I can understand them being excited with a tie against us. It's not much different than with us and our football program right now, just looking for some light at the end of the tunnel.

Hopefully those who made the trip enjoyed good hospitality, and didn't  leave without sampling some good brews and the best seafood this side of Anchorage.

As for fans at the game, lots of casuals unfamiliar w college game. And the diehards are just starved for optimism. It's been a lean couple years since Nyquist turned pro. Jury's still out on whether the new staff can avoid being LSSU-east. I think we all agree: it's encouraging to see freshman playing well. Now that the tie is in the books, here's hoping y'all go on a nice, long win streak. Cheers!

Hey, thanks a bunch! It's nice to hear from people like you.

I'll disagree with siouxman a bit. NoDak definitely had a bunch of shots that dotted the I on the sweater of Maine's goalie. With almost 50 SOG, that'll happen. But they also made him move side to side a bunch of times. He didn't make any flashy glove saves, but he definitely made some good kick saves on shots following  crossing feeds. For a freshman in his first start, the kid had himself a game. I think depth and strength were what impressed most about the Sioux (yeah, I know but I don't  care). Every third shift or so, Maine got a line out there that could skate w the Sioux. The other shifts, though... Strength was also key for NoDak. Very apparent on faceoffs and strength in corners forced Maine to counterattack. Almost no cycling 5x5.

I should have clarified my comments a little bit.  Yes, UND did make him move side to side, but the passes typically were not turned into quick shots, but the UND player mishandled the pass slightly, delayed getting the shot off, etc. so that most of the time the Maine goalie had time to slide across and mostly square up to the shooter.  There were a few exceptions where there was good side to side puck movement with a quick shot.  Several were shot wide, but there was one where the goalie made an excellent toe save to rob the Sioux player.  We just did not see the good quality back door shots that we are used to seeing that pretty much leave the goalie helpless unless he pulls off an extremely difficult save.  Those were not evident in this game with those few exceptions.  The Maine goalie definitely had a better start to his career than Cam Johnson did, but I believe that Johnson made great strides in the two games to step up to this level of hockey.

And I am guessing that the Maine coach had a few words for his team after the Friday night game because we did not see the bad penalties on Saturday that Maine was taking on Friday.  One other observation that I made is that Wolanin had a pretty good first game on defense.  He was not hesitant at all and his offensive instincts kicked in pretty well.  He was deep into the corner a number of times to help with the offense, or to cut off the puck coming around the net along the boards.

I did talk with a number of Maine fans who expressed thanks, and some amazement, that we had traveled so far for hockey.  Then I would explain we arranged a family reunion around the tournament.  We had a good time, but way too short.  And, unfortunately our 23 month old grandson now believes his Daddy eats spiders, because he thought lobster was a spider.  :)

This weekend was a huge positive, in my opinion, even with the tie.  The team looked good and very fast.  The major penalty kill on Friday was nothing short of amazing.  I wouldn't be surprised if UND got more shots during it than LSSU did.  It brought a lot of energy to the team.  The ability to endlessly cycle in the offensive zone on Saturday was something that we often don't see from Sioux teams until midway through the season.  There's a TON of chemistry with these lines, which is pretty awesome considering how many freshman were brought in.

I'm pretty excited about Boeser and Schmaltz being on the same team.  A lot of times last year, Schmaltz would make a pass that the other guy didn't anticipate and, therefore, wasn't ready for.  But Boeser had quite a few passes this weekend that showed a great vision for the ice.  I think Schmaltz finally has someone to play with who sees the ice the same way he does.  I think there are great things ahead for that line.

It's nice to see Sanderson out there.  The kid has busted his butt and had a positive attitude for years, and he's finally being rewarded.  Though the bench got shortened Friday with Caggiula and Simonson out, the fourth line got a decent amount of playing time against Maine on Saturday.  I actually thought Sanderson was more noticeable out there than Olson, and Janatuinen seemed to be everywhere on the ice.

I think the most unexpected thing from this weekend was Poganski.  It's like a completely different player than last year.  He was an absolute beast out there.  He's so much stronger on his skates.  There were numerous instances when he just bowled through defensemen rather than bothering to go around them.  And he won almost every puck battle along the wall.  I think he's definitely going to have a breakout season.

• Upvote 2