SiouxSports.com Forum

ICE BREAKER TOURNEY - UND vs. LSSU / Maine

AZSIOUX

Exactly.  Shouldn't at least a webcast be a requirement for hosting?

That's one thing I like about the Big Sky Conference, they have great free broadcast for football. I think some in the college hockey world need to take notice.

Exactly.  Shouldn't at least a webcast be a requirement for hosting?

No doubt, webcast should be a requirement to host, at the very least. Even beyond that, there is not reason the tourney organizers can't work out a weekend deal with CBS Sports, NBC Sports, or Fox College Sports to air the Icebreaker Tourney annually.

No video is easier to swallow so long as there is footage for ND hockey with BB.

Midco appears to be in und's pocket with some pretty blatant recruiting shots.  Clips of attractive young women at the game and framing the scenes with Berry with championship banners is no accident. Through these doors gets more views but this show is great for us armchair coaches.

I did some more digging...mostly because it's my last shift at work before heading down to the tournament, and I need to pass the time.

It's funny that I noted LSSU's offensive against UND last season.  They scored 5 goals in 2 games.  Maybe I just remember it because Cam started and got pulled.  In the season preview article, USCHO noted that LSSU only scored 60 goals TOTAL last season.  That's absurd.  In addition, they gave up more shots than almost any team in the country.  I think their goalie is actually pretty good, but there's only so many times you can bail your team out.

As for Maine, the top two scorers turned pro in the off-season.  That's not exactly encouraging for a team that finished 10th in Hockey East last year.

All in all, it sounds like anything could happen this weekend.  Will Cam leave juicy rebounds in the slot all weekend?  Even if he does, do you dare pull him?  Will the freshman still play as well when the games actually matter?  So many questions...it should be fun!

Also, I've been informed that using the term 'New England' is incredibly lame to anyone not residing in New England.  So, to amend my previous statement...those of us living in the northeastern corner of the United States of America, generally including Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island, are very pleased with this October game schedule.

• Upvote 2

Also, I've been informed that using the term 'New England' is incredibly lame to anyone not residing in New England.  So, to amend my previous statement...those of us living in the northeastern corner of the United States of America, generally including Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island, are very pleased with this October game schedule.

or you could just say the northeast and everyone would know

An interesting read on what it is costing the University of Maine to host this tournament.  They are paying each school $15,000 plus providing the hotel rooms, a reception, and gifts for the coaches and players not to exceed $350 per person.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/10/04/umaine-has-higher-goal-as-host-of-hockey-tournament-in-portland/

• Upvote 1

Have arrived in Portland.  And to my surprise, I got a "GO SIOUX!" at a rest area in western Massachusetts today because of my t-shirt.

I was on a college campus road trip with a daughter of mine in early April of 2007 and spent the night at a small motel at Amherst College.   She and a friend went out to a movie and I stayed back to watch the best line in college hockey make BC eat some humble pie.   Should have gone to the movie.   . 

An interesting read on what it is costing the University of Maine to host this tournament.  They are paying each school $15,000 plus providing the hotel rooms, a reception, and gifts for the coaches and players not to exceed $350 per person.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/10/04/umaine-has-higher-goal-as-host-of-hockey-tournament-in-portland/

what kind of gifts do they get ?