SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Assistant Job Posted

The Sicatoka

Shaw is more than qualified for this job, his son is a hell of a player. Hiring HS coaches happens all over the nation in college BBALL and most probably aren't qualified. Hayden has been commited to und. This isn't that type case. Nothing wrong with a little outside thinking for a team who hasn't won a natty I'm 15 years.

Shaw looks like an interesting addition.  A lot of pretty good experience, working with good coaches.  Did a pretty solid job developing young players with the Houston Aeros.  Quite a few former UND players have also played for him, including Russ Romaniuk, Curtis Murphy, Travis Roche, Brad Williamson, Bryan Lundbohm, Aaron Schneekloth and Travis Zajac.

Perhaps most impressive of all, it looks like he was on the roster of the juggernaut U.S. International team that came into Grand Forks and thumped the Hrkac Circus in the 1986-87 season. 

• Upvote 1

Shaw looks like an interesting addition.  A lot of pretty good experience, working with good coaches.  Did a pretty solid job developing young players with the Houston Aeros.  Quite a few former UND players have also played for him, including Russ Romaniuk, Curtis Murphy, Travis Roche, Brad Williamson, Bryan Lundbohm, Aaron Schneekloth and Travis Zajac.

Perhaps most impressive of all, it looks like he was on the roster of the juggernaut U.S. International team that came into Grand Forks and thumped the Hrkac Circus in the 1986-87 season. 

Impressive information here too SJH!

Ha! I saw that! small group that can say they beat that team!

Shaw is more than qualified for this job, his son is a hell of a player. Hiring HS coaches happens all over the nation in college BBALL and most probably aren't qualified. Hayden has been commited to und. This isn't that type case. Nothing wrong with a little outside thinking for a team who hasn't won a natty I'm 15 years.

? He was much more than a high school coach.

He has a son, but he's not much of a hockey player. We played pond hockey with him at University Park during the WJC tourney when it was in GF.

I think he's a very good baseball player though.

Yes solid baseball player and Ty skated before coyotes games a lot and had a shirt stint at shattuck as he got older. I worked under wayne and others two who were UND grads in front office that season. wayne was super cool! Yes Paulina is smokin

He has a son, but he's not much of a hockey player.  We played pond hockey with him at University Park during the WJC tourney when it was in GF.

I think he's a very good baseball player though.

Trevor is part of the Angels organization.

Ty played at Shattuck-St. Mary's in 2005-06 and 2006-07.

Tristan is the youngest son.

He also has 2 daughters.

Trevor is part of the Angels organization.

Ty played at Shattuck-St. Mary's in 2005-06 and 2006-07.

Tristan is the youngest son.

He also has 2 daughters.

I didn't realize he had three sons.  Not sure which one we played hockey with then...he would have been like mid-teens when the WJC was going on.

I think a more interesting question, assuming Shaw does get the job, is the "coach's kid" effect.  I don't think we've ever really had to handle anything like that at UND.  Probably the closest situation is Poolman.

Those are always delicate situations, I don't care how good a player the kid is or how good a coach the father is.  I think it helps that Shaw won't be the head coach, but it's something to watch.

We're in pretty good shape in that Hayden Shaw will be walking into a situation where there are five really good, proven defensemen ahead of him.  But issues of playing time between him and Wolanin, time on the power play at the expense of guys like Thompson or Poolman, or similar issues are sure to surface at some point.

I think a more interesting question, assuming Shaw does get the job, is the "coach's kid" effect.  I don't think we've ever really had to handle anything like that at UND.  Probably the closest situation is Poolman.

Those are always delicate situations, I don't care how good a player the kid is or how good a coach the father is.  I think it helps that Shaw won't be the head coach, but it's something to watch.

We're in pretty good shape in that Hayden Shaw will be walking into a situation where there are five really good, proven defensemen ahead of him.  But issues of playing time between him and Wolanin, time on the power play at the expense of guys like Thompson or Poolman, or similar issues are sure to surface at some point.

This is the first thing I thought about.  Both Shaw and Wolanin are very good and they will be battling for that 6th spot.  I've seen it go both ways, either the kid's dad plays him when he shouldn't have won the spot, or the dad is too hard on the kid and the kid sits only due to the perceived perception that could arise.  Either way, it's good Berry is there to make the final call on everything.  He knows that side of the ice pretty well :)

• Upvote 1

Valid points.  Asking a bunch of high end talents (and even the grinders are high end at this level) to accept a role that is different from how it has been for them in the past is difficult in any situation but something UND coaches have excelled at IMO.  But father/son would probably increase the level of difficulty at least somewhat.

But if they do hire Shaw, I'm sure they will have considered all the personality and character factors involved.