SiouxSports.com Forum

The NCAA Championship Game Dream Match-Up: BU vs. PC

MafiaMan

I disagree with the whole parity argument.   This is all about having both good goaltending and role players in your lineup, which is the downfall of the teams that load up with a bunch of #1 prima donna picks.    I wonder how many more times the so called elite teams will have to get beaten in the playoffs by hard working blue collar teams that play better two way hockey before they figure this out.  I remember a time with UND had real role players and those Sioux teams polished off plenty of better on paper teams.  Have a great summer. 

I disagree with the whole parity argument. This is all about having both good goaltending and role players in your lineup, which is the downfall of the teams that load up with a bunch of #1 prima donna picks. I wonder how many more times the so called elite teams will have to get beaten in the playoffs by hard working blue collar teams that play better two way hockey before they figure this out. I remember a time with UND had real role players and those Sioux teams polished off plenty of better on paper teams. Have a great summer.

Real role players like the walk ons that were two of the captains for UND this year? Can you also point out the #1 prima donnas on UND's team?

Our fan base is so unbelievably spoiled.

• Upvote 1

Not in any game at any level, let alone an NCAA championship game, have I ever seen a team score an empty net goal (Miami, 2009) and then go on to give up two goals in the final minute (totie the score), and eventually lose in OT. Last night's game just evens up the score in improbable things happening to BU in national championship games. 1 amazing (2009), 1 crushing (2015).

I don't venture over to USCHO anymore - what are some of the comments?

Here's one from last night.

RossiRules

OMG, this news just out of Boston, BU goaile Matt O'Connor noticibly upset as a result of his horrifc play in the NCAA national champinship game, arrived back at campus and jumped directly in front of an MBTA bus on Comm Ave. in front of Marsh Chapel, No worries it went thru his legs! He is fine! LOL!

Not in any game at any level, let alone an NCAA championship game, have I ever seen a team score an empty net goal (Miami, 2009) and then go on to give up two goals in the final minute (totie the score), and eventually lose in OT. Last night's game just evens up the score in improbable things happening to BU in national championship games. 1 amazing (2009), 1 crushing (2015).

I don't venture over to USCHO anymore - what are some of the comments?

This one stood out as well. The one cberkas was another:

Feel bad for O'Connor? F him. He goes down alongside Bill Buckner as the biggest goats in Boston sports history. What a fvking idiot. Two games in a row no less. That is the worst goal I've ever seen given up on any level in my 35 years of watching hockey. He should take out a full page ad tomorrow in the Globe and Herald and apologize to the fans who had to shell out scalper level prices to make the game thanks to inept athletic department. 

Quinn gets some blame for clearly not getting these guys to match PC's intensity (and kudos to Providence). It was a Parker-esque performance, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Real role players like the walk ons that were two of the captains for UND this year? Can you also point out the #1 prima donnas on UND's team?

Our fan base is so unbelievably spoiled.

Actually the two walk-ons you speak of help prove my point.   The two you speak of were fully engaged and committed to the UND program and willing to do whatever was required of them to win.   The lineup needed more just like them.

• Upvote 1

I disagree with the whole parity argument.   This is all about having both good goaltending and role players in your lineup, which is the downfall of the teams that load up with a bunch of #1 prima donna picks.    I wonder how many more times the so called elite teams will have to get beaten in the playoffs by hard working blue collar teams that play better two way hockey before they figure this out.  I remember a time with UND had real role players and those Sioux teams polished off plenty of better on paper teams.  Have a great summer. 

<Emphasis added.> 

The bolded part is a great description of this year's UND team. 

*******Feel bad for O'Connor? F him. He goes down alongside Bill Buckner as the biggest goats in Boston sports history. What a fvking idiot. Two games in a row no less. That is the worst goal I've ever seen given up on any level in my 35 years of watching hockey. He should take out a full page ad tomorrow in the Globe and Herald and apologize to the fans who had to shell out scalper level prices to make the game thanks to inept athletic department.

Quinn gets some blame for clearly not getting these guys to match PC's intensity (and kudos to Providence). It was a Parker-esque performance, and I don't mean that in a good way.*****

Unbelievable. Anyone with a heart would tell you that that one moment in 1986 absolutely CRUSHED Bill Buckner. After Boston finally won the World Series, he was invited back to Fenway Park to throw out the first pitch at a game. Even then he was nervous about what kind of reception he would get from the fans. When the crowd erupted into cheers and gave Bill a standing ovation as he made his way from left field to the pitcher's mound, you could see how emotional he was - the man had tears running down his face. An incredible moment in sports history.

As far as paragraph two, well, it's good to know other program have delusional fans. Quinn took a team that won 10 games last season and brought them to within a goal of winning an NCAA title. Plus he threw in a shot at Jack Parker, too. What a piece of work.

Jeff Frazee somewhere just said "That's embarrassing, glad I never did that in a game." :D

I know we as Sioux fans love to razz Frazee about that one, but Andy Kollar had his own "whoops!" moment courtesy of a 160-170 foot puck courtesy of Jordan Leopold, I believe...

I know we as Sioux fans love to razz Frazee about that one, but Andy Koller had his own "whoops!" moment courtesy of a 160-170 foot puck courtesy of Jordan Leopold, I believe...

I didn't know about Kollers one, Frazee had one agaist St. Cloud that didn't count because of an offsides that sealed Kangas as the starter that year.

Remember Kollers last game though? He was unreal.

No I don't.

Against Minnesota at Mariucci.  He gave us a shot to win.

Also a good trivia question - even for Sioux hockey fans - who was the goaltender for the last game UND season didn't end in the NCAA tournament....

http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey/2002/03/09/north-dakota-vs-minnesota/

Against Minnesota at Mariucci. He gave us a shot to win.

Also a good trivia question - even for Sioux hockey fans - who was the goaltender for the last game UND season didn't end in the NCAA tournament....

Yea, 48 saves including many moments where he stood on his head. That was a rough year and he was the whipping boy but he finished his career showing serious mental toughness.
  • Upvote 1

Remember Kollers last game though? He was unreal.

No I don't.

Against Minnesota at Mariucci.  He gave us a shot to win.

Yea, 48 saves including many moments where he stood on his head. That was a rough year and he was the whipping boy but he finished his career showing serious mental toughness.

I didn't post that to rip on Andy Kollar - just wanted to show how we laugh at the the silly mistakes made by our opponents and push our own team's gaffes to the dark cavern of our brains - along with the thoughts of being a fan of the Penguins or Bruins. 

I didn't post that to rip on Andy Kollar - just wanted to show how we laugh at the the silly mistakes made by our opponents and push our own team's gaffes to the dark cavern of our brains - along with the thoughts of being a fan of the Penguins or Bruins.

I was just pointing out that Koller had the opportunity to bounce back from his gaffe and actually did unlike Frazee.

On the BU roster, it has players from Alberta, British Columbia, California, Minnesota & Texas.  UND's failures are not related to lack of talent in the West, or from lack of coaching.  I believe that it is more about recruiting.  Hockey East is more open to smaller, faster, more creative players and it recruits across North America to get them.  Those kinds of players don't seem to get a chance out West.

Hmmmm, that sounds like our 1990's teams.  And, IIRC, they did pretty doggone well against teams with more NHL draft picks.

And now we are the team getting beat by today's Eastern teams.  Ironic.....don't you think?

I know we as Sioux fans love to razz Frazee about that one, but Andy Koller had his own "whoops!" moment courtesy of a 160-170 foot puck courtesy of Jordan Leopold, I believe...

Didn't you see Kollars Twitter post, saying how could O'Connor give up a goal like that, then said oh, wait...