SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-16 Looking Ahead

niouxsiouxfan

Jones is under contract through the 2016-17 season. I believe it would be pretty unusual for a division I coach to actually work into the last year of a deal. For that reason, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say it would take a complete meltdown to cause Faison to make a change after this season.

I hate lame duck coaches.  Lose-lose all around.

extend or relieve.

• Upvote 2

I think that at minimum, this team needs to finish in the top half of the league for Jones to keep his job.  It is pretty sad that the bar has been set so low, but after last year's disaster of a season, a top half finish would be a big improvement.  IMO, that's a pretty low standard but my opinion doesn't count for much.  Faison has terminated 5 coaches during his tenure before their contracts were up, so I am confident that he will be watching this season especially close.

• Upvote 1

Obviously we will probably never win a NCAA championship. I am just looking to be one of the top teams in the BSC year in and year out. I don't think Jones has that in him. I would love him to prove me wrong.

His teams have finished in the top 3 of the Big Sky 2 out of the 3 years he has been a coach.  I don't think he deserves to stick around after the year regardless of results, but his teams have performed well in conference most of the years he has been around.

If someone finished with the following spot in their conference standings the last five years, would they be on the hot seat especially after losing a big senior class?

10th, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd.

And how about this for the post-season tournament the last 5 years:

DNQ, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 1st.

Again, that's with losing a big senior class prior to last year.

His teams have finished in the top 3 of the Big Sky 2 out of the 3 years he has been a coach.  I don't think he deserves to stick around after the year regardless of results, but his teams have performed well in conference most of the years he has been around.

If someone finished with the following spot in their conference standings the last five years, would they be on the hot seat especially after losing a big senior class?

DNQ, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 1st.

look at his overall record, tournament wins, road OOC record he would be gone at most schools. How can a school 70 miles to the south get a new coach and win an NCAA tournament game, while we ooh and ahh about the CIT which we have zero wins. Jones does not have a good track record dating back to his NCC days. The CIT was good for the GWC but not in the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

look at his overall record, tournament wins, road OOC record he would be gone at most schools. How can a school 70 miles to the south get a new coach and win an NCAA tournament game, while we ooh and ahh about the CIT which we have zero wins. Jones does not have a good track record dating back to his NCC days. The CIT was good for the GWC but not in the Big Sky.

That's some fantastic information that has nothing to do with my post.

I replied to a poster who said he wanted a team that was one of the top teams in the Big Sky year in and year out.  Last time I checked, tournament wins, road OOC records, NCAA tournament games and the CIT don't make you a good or bad Big Sky Team.

In case you missed this part of my post:

I don't think he deserves to stick around after the year regardless of results, but his teams have performed well in conference most of the years he has been around.

That was what I was discussing.

Edit: Way to follow through with the mention of NDSU.  It wouldn't be a Darrel post without that.

Now we just need FS4L to come in and say we should just go to NAIA, then Darrel to reply with a fire Jones, and Fetch to talk about getting an AHL hockey team named the Fighting Sioux and we've covered all our bases.  :):):)

Edited by southpaw
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

That's some fantastic information that has nothing to do with my post.

I replied to a poster who said he wanted a team that was one of the top teams in the Big Sky year in and year out.  Last time I checked, tournament wins, road OOC records, NCAA tournament games and the CIT don't make you a good or bad Big Sky Team.

In case you missed this part of my post:

That was what I was discussing.

Edit: Way to follow through with the mention of NDSU.  It wouldn't be a Darrel post without that.

Now we just need FS4L to come in and say we should just go to NAIA, then Darrel to reply with a fire Jones, and Fetch to talk about getting an AHL hockey team named the Fighting Sioux and we've covered all our bases.  :):):)

So you think we are going to go all season without mentioning NDSU? Where the hell have you been. Our in-state rival is the talk of the state from its multiple trips to the dance, their OT win against Big 12 Oklahoma, and another conference title but with a first year head coach. Jones won 8 games last year with a highlighted win over Idaho and lost the last 9 games of the season. I'm sorry I brought up NDSU but thats all you hear about when basketball season starts and Faison better think of a way to end that.

• Upvote 1

So you think we are going to go all season without mentioning NDSU?

No, but I'm guessing he was hoping you'd make it at least until UND actually had the opening tip off for the season.

It does however seem that you care about their basketball team more than the majority of their football fans.

No, but I'm guessing he was hoping you'd make it at least until UND actually had the opening tip off for the season.

It does however seem that you care about their basketball team more than the majority of their football fans.

Drops the mic!

https://www.google.com/search?q=drops+mic&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIs6zwzY2LyQIViNgeCh2PeQkb#imgrc=vlA4sADssE03QM%3A

Edited by Teeder11

every fan of every team would like to expect their team to be champs... The odds of jones getting fired last year were as likely as Coach K replacing him ...People actually think if a great coach like coach K came to UND  then The All American prospects would follow and UND would contend for NCAA titles...Why settle for less than that.

No they don't, quit the extreme example arguments. Makes you sound even stupider.  

He has been here nine years and has a 127-153 record.  All the newbies on the board defending him have vested interests, that much is quite obvious.  

• Upvote 2

No they don't, quit the extreme example arguments. Makes you sound even stupider.  

He has been here nine years and has a 127-153 record.  All the newbies on the board defending him have vested interests, that much is quite obvious.  

Please, do tell.  <getting comfortable and grabbing the popcorn>

So you think we are going to go all season without mentioning NDSU? Where the hell have you been. Our in-state rival is the talk of the state from its multiple trips to the dance, their OT win against Big 12 Oklahoma, and another conference title but with a first year head coach. Jones won 8 games last year with a highlighted win over Idaho and lost the last 9 games of the season. I'm sorry I brought up NDSU but thats all you hear about when basketball season starts and Faison better think of a way to end that.

People in these forums would usually rather ignore NDSU, that acknowledge that they have been successful in Football and Basketball in a way that we desperately want. I hope this year's team can surprise us a bit, given that they are pretty young, but ultimately I think Jones has had his shot, and not done much with it.

The other side to this is if you want to replace Jones, then a better basketball coach needs to be available and willing to come to UND. Not sure who that is, and I'm certainly not a great basketball mind. Whatever they decide to do, hopefully they can retain some of the more talented recruits, and avoid a complete rebuild.

• Upvote 1

So is every attempt to discuss the team and the season going to be allowed to turn into the ever-popular Fire Jones discussion? 

I'll try to re-direct this. I'm NOT a great basketball mind, not even a big basketball fan. I barely watch NBA, but I will watch college from time to time. Sometime the Gophers, but I'll usually follow UND fairly closely.

How is this team supposed to do this year? It sounds like we are young, but played well in Europe. Sounds like we have some really good young talent, and some more coming in next year, especially with that transfer.

Any chance we shake things up and make a run this season?

I'll try to re-direct this. I'm NOT a great basketball mind, not even a big basketball fan. I barely watch NBA, but I will watch college from time to time. Sometime the Gophers, but I'll usually follow UND fairly closely.

How is this team supposed to do this year? It sounds like we are young, but played well in Europe. Sounds like we have some really good young talent, and some more coming in next year, especially with that transfer.

Any chance we shake things up and make a run this season?

UND is picked 8th and 10th in the preseason polls, if that gives you an idea.  I could see them making a mini-run to finish in Top 5 or so.  Don't think they got the fire power to win it or anything.

It seems like the staff is able to recruit players with some pedigree - time will tell how they stack up against the Big Sky - the better teams have broad shoulders that can score on the inside. We had many games that were single digit loses last year where we just didn't make the plays and the other team did. The Europe trip won't hurt and might help us to be a surprise team - at finishing in the top 5. 

DNQ, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 1st.

It's called running a program. Losing a big senior class is not an excuse.

People in these forums would usually rather ignore NDSU, that acknowledge that they have been successful in Football and Basketball in a way that we desperately want. I hope this year's team can surprise us a bit, given that they are pretty young, but ultimately I think Jones has had his shot, and not done much with it.

The other side to this is if you want to replace Jones, then a better basketball coach needs to be available and willing to come to UND. Not sure who that is, and I'm certainly not a great basketball mind. Whatever they decide to do, hopefully they can retain some of the more talented recruits, and avoid a complete rebuild.

That is why we have an Athletic Director. He should be scouting now, making a few what-if inquiries, etc.

Might be able to find a coach within 75-80 miles of campus?