SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-16 Looking Ahead

niouxsiouxfan

They didn't play well against UNO last week, haven't heard about today's scrimmage.

I still haven't heard how we played against USD but a couple other bits of info:

• Crandall is nursing an injury - probably minor but the coaching staff was quite concerned until they heard the results of some tests (that should have happened earlier this week).
  • All four of the true freshmen are playing well and there is a good chance none will redshirt.  Avants has been a very pleasant surprise.  
  • I think the starting line-up will be: Crandall (if healthy) at the 1, Hooker (2), Seales (3), Bernstine (4) and Shanks (5).

I still haven't heard how we played against USD but a couple other bits of info:

• Crandall is nursing an injury - probably minor but the coaching staff was quite concerned until they heard the results of some tests (that should have happened earlier this week).
  • All four of the true freshmen are playing well and there is a good chance none will redshirt.  Avants has been a very pleasant surprise.  
  • I think the starting line-up will be: Crandall (if healthy) at the 1, Hooker (2), Seales (3), Bernstine (4) and Shanks (5).

All four not redshirting? Surprising. I'm excited to see Avants play, I feel like he could be similar to what Brekke was for us.

Bottom 1/3 of the league.  A .500 record would really exceed my expectations. 

I really hope I am wrong.

So do I. I think anything less than  a top 4 league finish and/or top 4 tournament finish and it is time to move on.

Edited by petey23
  • Upvote 2

If the talent is there, play em... but give them the minutes to justify it.

I have no issue with this.... right now;)

I agree too if they have talent play em, there is no rule that says you have to redshirt a player, but i hope it's not an excuse if we have another crappy year just to get more years of coaching. This has to be Jones' make or break year. 

I agree too if they have talent play em, there is no rule that says you have to redshirt a player, but i hope it's not an excuse if we have another crappy year just to get more years of coaching. This has to be Jones' make or break year. 

5 upperclassman and out of those 5...

1 All-Big Sky talent (Hooker)

1 great role player/spot starter (Hobaugh)

2 mop up players (Benton, Blake)

1 Unknown quantity (Baldwin)

We lack the talent/depth in the upperclassman in the 2,3 and 4 spots.  The only 2 spots on this team that are set are at the 1 and the 5 

I see this lineup

Hooker

Geno

Seales

Brick

Cashman/Shanks (flip a coin)

Bench

Hobaugh

Cashman/Shanks

Avants

Baldwin

Adam

Collins

Now if you want real chaos... wait til next year when Baker is eligible...

Edited by SWSiouxMN

We lack the talent/depth in the upperclassman in the 2,3 and 4 spots.  The only 2 spots on this team that are set are at the 1 and the 5. 

I see this lineup

Hooker
Geno
Seales
Brick

Bench
Hobaugh
Cashman/Shanks
Avants
Baldwin
Adam
Collins

I don't disagree with much other than I'm pretty sure Shanks will start.  My complete shot in the dark how on average it would break down would be something like this:

Q - 32-35 minutes (5-8 minutes available left at the PG spot)
Geno - 25-30 minutes with some being at PG (10-15 minutes at the SG spot)
Seales - 20-25 minutes (15-20 minutes at SF)
Drick - 25-30 minutes with some at C if UND goes small (10-15 minutes at the PF spot)

Shanks/Cashman - splitting almost all 40 minutes at the 5 spot with Drick stepping in if UND goes small-ball

Basically gives you 50ish minutes or so to split up between Hobaugh, Avants, Baldwin, McDermott and Collins however necessary. Guessing the skillset of the freshmen varies, so depending on opponent or what's needed it could change. Still a little surprised that there is no one redshirting, though maybe someone does next year when Baker is eligible?

This tells me the new players are talented.   It also tells me Jones needs to win this year if you know what I mean.     I have no problem with pulling redshirts if they can help.    Our fan base needs  a great year sooner than later.    I do think this group of players has the potential to be very good not to far into the future.

Doing some roster scanning and I see Shanks is up to 245#  up from last years listed weight of 230#.   Is that extra 15# significant on a 7-footer?  What is a good weight for a 7-foot post so they don't get knocked around too much in lane and can dish out some punishment if need be?

Edit: I think Mitch Wilmer at 6'11" was 235 in his senior year for comparison sake.

Edited by Teeder11

Collins physically mature ,possible role player of bench skill set , limited upside.... Staff figures that better to get him done in 4 rather tie up scholarship for 5 years and not do much like Benton.... Shanks is a dead mortal lock of the year to start. Baldwin will play a lot, Cashman will play when Carson gets winded or in fall trouble , Carson was a real hackmaster last season.  Jones not likely to lose job this season unless a complete meltdown occurs....I pointed out last season that Brian was safe...posters thought Jones was in trouble were all dead wrong.  . The big shots do not concern themselves with 5-10 posters who get off on calling for jones to get canned. 

Edited by hoops44

We lack the talent/depth in the upperclassman in the 2,3 and 4 spots.  The only 2 spots on this team that are set are at the 1 and the 5 

I see this lineup

Hooker

Geno

Seales

Brick

Bench

Hobaugh

Cashman/Shanks

Avants

Baldwin

Adam

Collins

I hope those kids took a lot out of that Europe trip, especially the wins and cash in on the road games that has plagued this program under Jones. If we can win those games winning at home becomes a little easier especially if the BESC is rocking.

I think most assumed his job was safe but don't agree with it. If you're okay with mediocrity or less then Jones is your guy. I think a lot of the fans on here have higher expectations though and not many think Jones can lead us to that. He has had a couple good runs in postseason play but the junior and senior years of Huff and Anderson should have been so much better then they were. 

Exactly. I don't want to hear well we lost some valuable seniors from last year or other excuses. That is college basketball and you are running a college basketball program and have for 10 years now so year to year excuses ring pretty hollow. It is your job to build depth in the program, it's not like this is your second season at the helm.

I think most assumed his job was safe but don't agree with it. If you're okay with mediocrity or less then Jones is your guy. I think a lot of the fans on here have higher expectations though and not many think Jones can lead us to that. He has had a couple good runs in postseason play but the junior and senior years of Huff and Anderson should have been so much better then they were. 

every fan of every team would like to expect their team to be champs... The odds of jones getting fired last year were as likely as Coach K replacing him ...People actually think if a great coach like coach K came to UND  then The All American prospects would follow and UND would contend for NCAA titles...Why settle for less than that.

• Downvote 2

every fan of every team would like to expect their team to be champs... The odds of jones getting fired last year were as likely as Coach K replacing him ...People actually think if a great coach like coach K came to UND  then The All American prospects would follow and UND would contend for NCAA titles...Why settle for less than that.

Obviously we will probably never win a NCAA championship. I am just looking to be one of the top teams in the BSC year in and year out. I don't think Jones has that in him. I would love him to prove me wrong.

• Upvote 1

Geno is the primary lead guard not Q.  That being said Brian views this team as starting to point guards.

No reason to doubt you, but seems surprising with how well Q has done as the PG in past. Just another interesting thing to watch play out this year I guess.

Collins physically mature ,possible role player of bench skill set , limited upside.... Staff figures that better to get him done in 4 rather tie up scholarship for 5 years and not do much like Benton.... Shanks is a dead mortal lock of the year to start. Baldwin will play a lot, Cashman will play when Carson gets winded or in fall trouble , Carson was a real hackmaster last season.  Jones not likely to lose job this season unless a complete meltdown occurs....I pointed out last season that Brian was safe...posters thought Jones was in trouble were all dead wrong.  . The big shots do not concern themselves with 5-10 posters who get off on calling for jones to get canned. 

Jones is under contract through the 2016-17 season. I believe it would be pretty unusual for a division I coach to actually work into the last year of a deal. For that reason, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say it would take a complete meltdown to cause Faison to make a change after this season.