SiouxSports.com Forum

Twins ?

Fetch

On 10/11/2023 at 8:45 AM, The Sicatoka said:

The buy-outs would be $2M never better spent. And yeah, take the dollars and bolster pitching. 

List of "there's no such thing as too much":

- pizza
- money
- goaltending
- pitching 

would make more sense to pick up the options and then look at trade possibilities.  Both Kepler and Polanco are very productive at 10 million.  There is also a lack of offense on the free agent market this season, so there should be trade options available even if its some bullpen arms and prospects. With Jasson Dominguez' injury, the Yankees might have interest in a year of Kepler.  Don't forget that Joey Gallo's 11 million comes off the books, so there will be money for pitching.  If you feel confident in Paddack, look at a short term extension, maybe 3 for 40 or something in that range.  With his injury history he might take it.  Lewis should be an extension candidate as well, before it's too late.

• Upvote 1

Post 2023 season thoughts:

I'll give credit again to @SiouxBoys for putting me in my place on Correa way back when.  The guy is a winner, and a leader.  I wish we saw it more throughout the season, but the guy is our shortstop for the next five years thankfully (please get healthy).  I think there is some promise there with the young kids.  Our young bullpen arms give me a lot of hope.  Duran should be here forever, Varland, Jax, Stewart, tons to be excited about.  I could see them holding on to Pagan as a low leverage guy, but his numbers will get him some bigger money elsewhere.  I don't know what you do with a Thielbar because the new face three batters rule just doesn't set up nicely for him, but you have Funderburk, who just doesn't have the velocity at this point.  We've got Pablo, Ryan, Ober, Paddack as starters coming back, maybe Sonny sticks around, but thats going to cost them some money.  Lineup wise we need to add a right handed hitter with some pop to play left field or first base.  Or maybe you trade for one, we have a million outfielders at the moment.  Got to get guys healthy now and 100% going into spring.  Buxton has had two at bats since August.  There are no excuses for him not to be 100% next April.  If he was needing surgery they should have done it in August.

Lastly, we need to take advantage of playing in the AL Central.  There is no reason that this team coming back can't win 95 games next year and get a bye and host an ALDS series.  You've can't lose 3 of 4 at home to Detroit, can't get swept by the Royals, can't let a Cleveland team stay with you down the stretch.  I know its an unbelievably long season and you are going to lose a lot of games along the way, but win those series that you are supposed to win.  The longest winning streak they had this year was 5 games.  No reason they can't get on an 8-10 game streak with the division opponents that they have, albeit they don't play them as much anymore, but they do have stretches where they play them a lot.

Fun run at the end, nice to see them get the monster losing streak off their back.  

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of factoids I have heard in the media:

On PTI, the Diamondbacks are the second team ever to make it to the World Series having been outscored in the regular season. The other was the Minnesota Twins.

On the Dan Patrick Show, the Rangers (84) and Diamondbacks (90) combined have the fewest Regular Season wins for any World Series in which a full season was played.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 1:36 PM, Wilbur said:

No more Pagan....sigh.....:whistling:

Got a lot of pitching to replace.  Hope there is a plan. 

I’m sure there’s a plan…unfortunately too often the plan is not very good. I’ve become resigned over the years to ignore the Twins unless they make the playoffs. If the owners don’t want to spend the money every year to be competitive that’s their choice (maybe even a good financial decision for them). I just don’t want to waste my time watching meaningless games. For me, the baseball season has way too many games when you’re not competitive. 

3 hours ago, rochsioux said:

I’m sure there’s a plan…unfortunately too often the plan is not very good. I’ve become resigned over the years to ignore the Twins unless they make the playoffs. If the owners don’t want to spend the money every year to be competitive that’s their choice (maybe even a good financial decision for them). I just don’t want to waste my time watching meaningless games. For me, the baseball season has way too many games when you’re not competitive. 

The Twins lobbied hard for public money to build Target Field, telling us they could financially compete with a new stadium. What happened to that?

24 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Then the Twins shouldn't be surprised when people lose interest in them. All I think about in the summer is when Vikings training camp starts.

And I’m waiting for hockey season. With that said whenever the Cubs are at Target Field then I’m there regardless if both teams stink 

• 2 weeks later...

According to Twins Daily, the Twins are expected to sign two of the top 50 prospects during the International Free-Agent signing period (starting Jan 15). under MLB rules, the Twins can spend up to $6.5-million this year on international players. 

Daibel De Los Santos, SS, Dominican Republic. 17 yrs old 6'1" 160 pounds. bats, throws Right
-ranked as the 8th-best prospect by MLB Pipeline. Scouting report - plus raw power and a plus arm. athletic enough to stay at SS. shows gap power at plate. 

Eduardo Beltre - OF - Dominican Republic. 17 yrs old 6'0" 170 lbs - bats/throws right. 
- ranked as the 39th best prospect by MLB pipeline. Currently plays CF. shows good bat speed, runs well and has an above-aver

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In a strategic move set to infuse fresh talent into their roster, the Minnesota Twins have recently made headlines by securing top international prospects to bolster their farm system. Among these promising new additions is Cuban sensation Yandro Hernandez, a switch-hitting outfielder whose skills have placed him among the cream of the crop within Cuban baseball circles. This acquisition highlights the Twins’ commitment to strengthening their lineup with versatile, global talent, aiming to cultivate a future star in Hernandez, who shows considerable potential to become a power hitter.

https://fanrecap.com/twins-secure-cuban-sensation-yandro-hernandez-lauded-as-ultimate-slugger-in-bold-800000-move/?utm_source=minnesota-twins&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=mlb-mk&fbclid=IwAR06filQsvWko9y0vuoPhOua1ToJ95q5RrmArd7F0NFFYSgKDfmGW7Gzenk_aem_ASgKVgUU4PbRBcn7LvycfMRGVELRswdwyjMCRHyQVTD-WMemkeE2Zdnx3EEOqFP1KO0#lsotqctc2jt4jdp7mer

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...