SiouxSports.com Forum

Twins ?

Fetch

Twins free agents are pitchers-Odorizzi, May, Hill, and Clippard. Of that group I think you need to bring May back, I'd like to bring Clippard back, and if they can bring Odorizzi back to fill out the back of the rotation I'd be all right with it. I think Hill is at the end and I'm not sure how much he could start over a full season.

Hitters-Cruz, Gonzalez, Adrianza, and Avila. I'm kinda torn on Cruz because I think he is a huge leader for this team and he still really produces. He also is really getting up there and it wouldn't be bad to have the DH spot open with some of the young guys coming. I do think I'd try to bring Cruz back for one more year. Gonzalez and Avila I'd let walk. Adrianza I'd try to bring back probably to fill that utility role.

I'd definitely explore what you can get on the trade market. Kirilloff we didn't get to see much of but he has been hyped up. Aside from Cruz's double he probably had the two other hardest hit balls today. Rooker only got 20 ABs but I thought he definitely made the case to earn a starting spot next year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins go into next spring planning on both Kirilloff and Rooker starting opening day and I'd be good with that. That would mean 2 spots open up and the obvious one that everyone points to is Rosario. Where does the other spot come. Maybe it is Sano, maybe they don't bring back Cruz and Sano spends a lot of time at DH, or maybe it is just more of a rotating lineup in some spots through the week? With Kirilloff and Rooker being able to play 1st/OF that gives you some flexibility. 

As far as free agents I'd like to see the Twins target I have a few in mind. A few of the top free agents don't really fit like 2B LeMahieu and outfielders like Springer, Brantley, and Ozuna If the Twins were to move Jorge Polanco I think Didi Gregorius would be a great fit.

On the pitching side we will go with starters first Trevor Bauer would be a dream fit at the top of the rotation with Maeda and Berrios. I don't know how realistic Bauer is though. Marcus Stroman would also be a great fit at the top of the rotation. Guys who probably won't be quite as high but would be good fits are Kevin Gausman and Taijuan Walker.  

There is some solid relief options as well with guys like Liam Hendricks, Joakim Soria, Blake Treinen, Yusmerio Petit, Greg Holland, Trevor Rosenthal, Alex Colome, Jake McGee, Tony Watson, Justin Wilson, and Jeremy Jeffress.

Most runs scored by homeruns, 0 in playoffs. Best era with 2 outs for pitchers, 6 of there 7 runs scored with 2 outs. Least errors in Al, 1 that cost us the game. Also haven’t lost two in a row at home until now. With all that said it was a perfect scenario for a Twins collapse and they came through

The issue the Twins face is a changing and toughening Central Division.

Indians seem to churn out starters like crazy and at some point they will get a competent offense to match.

White Sox have the bats and the arms in the pen, all they need is one more starter to pair with Gio and Dallas and they are an AL contender (*ew)

Tigers are going to get better with their youth and could be on a similar path like the White Sox had a few years ago. 

Royals might be the furthest away, but they have some arms again. 

4 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'll say stuff about the players in another post, but for the coaching staff

Rocco.... you and your staff need to do some soul searching this offseason and decide what changes you need to make in your in-game decisions.  

When the offense isn't going that's your time as a manager to try and create offense.  Hit and run, steal, bunt, etc.  The numbers can say all they want, but when your team is lacking an approach you've got to make something happen instead of sitting back and letting nothing happen.  For God sakes, its okay to have a runner thrown out from time to time.  

Losing Romo should help his bullpen management, although the only way to go from here is up with pitching decisions. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'll say stuff about the players in another post, but for the coaching staff

Rocco.... you and your staff need to do some soul searching this offseason and decide what changes you need to make in your in-game decisions.  

So many head scratching decisions throughout the season and especially in the last 2 games with his pitchers. I’d be fine if they brought someone else but no way that happens for now 

9 hours ago, sioux rube said:

So many head scratching decisions throughout the season and especially in the last 2 games with his pitchers. I’d be fine if they brought someone else but no way that happens for now 

Rocco can't take many more flameouts and keep his job. 

• Upvote 1

Rotation:  I would like them to see them add a starter by trade or FA.  If Bauer is being serious about taking 1 year deals... I would overpay to see if he would come here. Worst case:  I'd see if Odo wouldn't come back for another "prove it" deal The fifth spot, let Dobnak, Duran, and even Balazovic battle for it.  Maeda needs to repeat next year, Pineda needs to pitch for his next and final contract, Berrios needs to put it together and finally be a top flight starter.

Pen:  Try and keep Clippard and May around.  Have a legit discussion for the closer role.  Wild Card:  I would consider grooming Alcala for the role. See if you can't snag another power arm in free agency.  

Outfield:  Decide between Kepler and Rosario to trade.  Give the kid Kirilloff the job.  Bring Rooker as well to be the 1B/OF/DH.  I'd consider letting Cave go and give the at bats to Wade.  I'd consider giving Buxton an extension (with a couple million more than he should get to smooth hard feelings from 2018) and hold my breath.  Find a way to keep him healthy.

Infield:  Mar-go is gonzo.  Sano needs to fix his swing or consider moving him next offseason.  Give Donaldson some breaks in the infield if calves are going to be an issue.  Polanco needs a bounce back or perhaps he could be shipped out since Lewis is nearly ready.  At some point, need to see what Gordon can bring to the table at the major league level.  Hope Luis can get healthy and make a run for a batting title. 

Catcher: Jeffers and Garver.  Starting position should be up for grabs.

DH: Split it between Rooker/Sano/Donaldson.  I don't think Cruz comes back

This season the main question is going to be:  How much does the Buxton/Sano/Rosario/Kepler/Polanco/Berrios core remain when the team heads back to Florida in February. 

Sounds like Cruz will be back from what I read today.  Let Marwin walk and throw money at Bauer to see if he hates Cleveland enough to pitch against them for a year.  I try to keep May and Clippard too. 

Rotation could be:  Bauer, Maeda, Pineda, Berrios, Dobnak. 

Bully:  Stashak, Rodgers, Clippard, May, Thielbar, Duffy, Alcala. 

Teams like Miami have clamored over Rosario in the post season.  That trade could get done now. 

• Upvote 2

My evil heart is happy all the AL Central teams lost other than us.  Cleveland has a situation with Lindor that won't end well, but their pitching is set....again....

The White Sox are now the team to beat in the AL Central.  With that said moves have to be made with the intention of staying in the arms race.  The Twins can't allow them to get Bauer or the division is decided without the Sox having major injuries.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...