SiouxSports.com Forum

EARLY Departures 2015

AZSIOUX

NHL wants him to sign to save money right?

He stands to make tons if he waits right?

I don't understand the confliction, and why would his dad pressure him to sign?

We were having drinks in Boston and his mom was there, I should have asked her...lol.

Opportunity cost.  The shelf life of a pro athlete is short.  Does LaDue want to wait until he's 25 until he signs his first professional contract?

Dont the Kings think he's developing fine at UND?

Sorry, I was probably vague.  Kings have told LaDue that if he signs, they want him to develop in the AHL.  So the question he's facing is whether to start making money as a 23-year old professional, but in the AHL for a year minimum, or does he want to play at least another year for his hometown team?

I can definitely understand how he's struggling with the decision, particularly when a family member is pushing him to sign.

Figured Jordan would have signed a long time ago. You really think Nick is leaving? I cannot imagine him leaving whatsoever.

I dont think Nick will sign, i think this will be a big year for him if Hak puts him on the right line. And i say he could get 10 to 15 more goals if he gets more selfish with the puck which he should and needs to get!

Schmaltz will be the only one to leave that hasn't made a decision yet.

Jordan leaving is not that big of a deal IMHO...  we got him an extra year with his brother coming in, one that we saw him take many a shift off.  He should have been hands down our best d-man this last year but clearly was not.  If I had to pick only one of Schmaltz, LaDue, or Stecher to leave I would have picked him.   On the other hand, If Nick leaves that will be a joke.  He is clearly not ready for the next level.

Jordan leaving is not that big of a deal IMHO... we got him an extra year with his brother coming in, one that we saw him take many a shift off. He should have been hands down our best d-man this last year but clearly was not. If I had to pick only one of Schmaltz, LaDue, or Stecher to leave I would have picked him. On the other hand, If Nick leaves that will be a joke. He is clearly not ready for the next level.

Spot on.....thanks for sharing your personal insight Mike.

Figured Jordan would have signed a long time ago. You really think Nick is leaving? I cannot imagine him leaving whatsoever.

Nick has no reason to leave due to the depth of prospects Chicago has. They can afford not to rush him. Ladue is curious, I think it would be smart of him to get his pro career started now with his age but at the same time LA is loaded with defensemen in Manchester. Heck Forbort is still stuck down there. Tough decision for the kid when your own family is trying to force your hand...

Chicago is going to have enough cap issues this off-season; they really don't need to try to fit signing a first-rounder into that already complex equation. 

PS - Chicago left Jon Toews for two years and Toews had a better freshman season. 

Jordan leaving is not that big of a deal IMHO...  we got him an extra year with his brother coming in, one that we saw him take many a shift off.  He should have been hands down our best d-man this last year but clearly was not.  If I had to pick only one of Schmaltz, LaDue, or Stecher to leave I would have picked him.   On the other hand, If Nick leaves that will be a joke.  He is clearly not ready for the next level.

I disagree with this.  Any number of posters have complained about Schmaltz' play, suggesting he plays without passion, takes shifts off, etc...

Part of it is his game.  He is not, and is never going to be, a Stecher or Genoway type of player who goes on these mad rushes up the ice.  And because of his height/size, he's one of those guys who never really looks like he's skating.  He never delivered the booming hits.  In other words, he never did the things that fans get a kick out of, but which may not necessarily be what is required for playing his position.

He was always played perfect position defense.  You never had to worry about him when the opposing team rushed the puck because his spacing was impeccable.  I think UND fans have terribly underestimated the quality of Jordan's play while at UND.

• Upvote 3

It would be nice to have Schmaltz back; always good to have the experience and leadership there, but if he is gone it sounds like we have some guys ready to step in and play. I don't know much about Shaw or Wolanin, but everything I have read seems pretty positive. With Ladue and Stecher back we should still have a pretty solid D core. Biggest question will be goalie; hopefully Tomek is ready to step up and play.