SiouxSports.com Forum

MacMillan to have surgery, listed as 'out indefinitely'

rhenry8439

This stinks but I think we all knew this would be it for him. Great career with it's share of adversity. Mac is as tough as they come and is the true meaning of a team player. Did it the Sioux way. Thanks Mark.

Yup, the only silver lining I can find is in the way he went out.  He gave up his body to kill a penalty that led to a 5 on 3 penalty kill which catapulted us to a sweep.  It takes a lot of f'in guts to do that, and it's what Sioux hockey is all about. Giving up your own goals, ambitions and health(in this case) for the betterment of the team. The penalty kill literally was a key moment in us capturing the Penrose Cup as well.

Also, this was one of the loudest standing ovations I've ever heard, definitely the loudest for a penalty kill. The crowd truly appreciated what Mark, Stecher, and Caggiula were laying on the line when they blocked those shots.

Thanks for your dedication and being a fun player to watch.  True to the Sioux tradition.

Most people remember the great goals, but it is more than that as fans watching the Sioux.  I remember watching Oshie against Michigan Tech near the end of the season take a puck to the chest killing a power play when we were ahead 3-1 with under 4 minutes to play.  He did not get hurt, but I am sure Mark Mac was just doing what needed to be done just like Oshie did.  You see the same from Stecher, Ausmus, etc. on this team which makes it special as the young kids are seeing what needs to be done.

Best wishes for a great career ahead.  Looking forward to watching you in the future.  Hopefully see you in Boston at the Hockey Humanitarian ceremony.

Yup, the only silver lining I can find is in the way he went out.  He gave up his body to kill a penalty that led to a 5 on 3 penalty kill which catapulted us to a sweep.  It takes a lot of f'in guts to do that, and it's what Sioux hockey is all about. Giving up your own goals, ambitions and health(in this case) for the betterment of the team. The penalty kill literally was a key moment in us capturing the Penrose Cup as well.

Also, this was one of the loudest standing ovations I've ever heard, definitely the loudest for a penalty kill. The crowd truly appreciated what Mark, Stecher, and Caggiula were laying on the line when they blocked those shots.

Burn the Ships. Mac definitely personified this.

Thanks for your dedication and being a fun player to watch.  True to the Sioux tradition.

Most people remember the great goals, but it is more than that as fans watching the Sioux.  I remember watching Oshie against Michigan Tech near the end of the season take a puck to the chest killing a power play when we were ahead 3-1 with under 4 minutes to play.  He did not get hurt, but I am sure Mark Mac was just doing what needed to be done just like Oshie did.  You see the same from Stecher, Ausmus, etc. on this team which makes it special as the young kids are seeing what needs to be done.

Best wishes for a great career ahead.  Looking forward to watching you in the future.  Hopefully see you in Boston at the Hockey Humanitarian ceremony.

It reminded me of Mario blocking a shot against the Gophers that hit him so hard he could only stand on one leg. He hobbles around on one skate then dives in front of the next puck too. I believe MN scored on that PP but you couldn't even be mad, you knew Mario literally left everything on the ice.

• Upvote 1

It reminded me of Mario blocking a shot against the Gophers that hit him so hard he could only stand on one leg. He hobbles around on one skate then dives in front of the next puck too. I believe MN scored on that PP but you couldn't even be mad, you knew Mario literally left everything on the ice.

I remember Mario blocking that shot. It was at Mariucci. I thought the second one hit him in the neck and thought he was damn near dead. No joke. 

• Upvote 1

Yup, the only silver lining I can find is in the way he went out. He gave up his body to kill a penalty that led to a 5 on 3 penalty kill which catapulted us to a sweep. It takes a lot of f'in guts to do that, and it's what Sioux hockey is all about. Giving up your own goals, ambitions and health(in this case) for the betterment of the team. The penalty kill literally was a key moment in us capturing the Penrose Cup as well.

Excellent post, IHTINB. Well-put.

-Dan

It absolutely sucks that he ended up 1 point shy of the Century Club. I hope he's able to celebrate a title with the team in Boston to make up for it.

If this was women's basketball, Mac would be brought onto the ice and allowed to score a goal so he could get his 100th point. Then CC would be allowed to score to even it up.

It absolutely sucks that he ended up 1 point shy of the Century Club. I hope he's able to celebrate a title with the team in Boston to make up for it.

Well if one of the goals he had disallowed over the years (2 vs Miami in a blow out game last year come to mind) that should have counted would have counted, he wouldn't be 1 point shy of the Century Club. 

I blame the refs.

I am a UND fan, it's in my nature ;)

Well if one of the goals he had disallowed over the years (2 vs Miami in a blow out game last year come to mind) that should have counted would have counted, he wouldn't be 1 point shy of the Century Club. 

I blame the refs.

Hah, I well remember that game!  Crushed Mia 9-2 despite being jobbed 2 or 3 goals by the refs!  Didn't realize MacM had 2 of those disallowed goals.  Review them NCAA/NCHC now and give him that 1 extra point!

I blame the refs.

Personally, I vote we "review" one of the goals from this year and take an assist away from a freshie to give to Mark.  They have three more years to hit the Century Club...Mark doesn't.  Sometimes, you have to sacrifice one for the team.  Mark sacrificed his knee...they can surely sacrifice a point.