SiouxSports.com Forum

Two Deep Speculation

geaux_sioux

Lets make 1 thing clear here.....Studsrud didn't lead anything, he was simply along for the ride, Garman Led the offense in those two games. I guess I have never understood the thought process that because he is mobile and young he will be a stud, especially when game film reveals the exact opposite.

I really don't know anything about either running back, so much like my drives on a golf course I will just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Mollberg couldn't hit a wide open receiver early in the year either.  Just look at the threads on people wondering why Bartels wasn't put in.  And both those guys had the expectation that they would be playing.  Studsrud was thrown into a situation and basically fed to the wolves, so I am with the philosophy to see how he does in spring ball.  

So you enjoy negative conversation more than positive?

I don't think its negative to keep that conversation alive.  With the upcoming change in the college athletic landscape (full cost of attendance), every dollar is going to be important for recruiting, etc.  If we have another college whom we are recruiting against for every sport that is going to bend every rule they can to put additional dollars in their athletic budgets, we better be willing to do the same or call them out because if they keep doing it and we do nothing, it will change the 2 deep for spring of 2016, 2017, etc.

• Upvote 3

I'm late to the 2 deep discussion but wondering if anyone one has insight into if the TE's will have more of an impact this year. With Ruhe healthy and Fiedler now a red shirt freshman. Any one know how Fiedler will fit into the 2 deep discussion. During the signing day someone asked if he may be a down field threat this year?

I'm late to the 2 deep discussion but wondering if anyone one has insight into if the TE's will have more of an impact this year. With Ruhe healthy and Fiedler now a red shirt freshman. Any one know how Fiedler will fit into the 2 deep discussion. During the signing day someone asked if he may be a down field threat this year?

Ruhe was looking good before he got hurt. I'm guessing you may see Fiedler and Adler with Ruhe or maybe Adler sees reps at FB as well.

Hey, I'm not a "great football mind*", I just know when I watch football that the team that: 

- can't keep the opposing defense from running loose, wild, and free through the line of scrimmage into their backfield loses

- can keep their QB upright and looking down field for five second or more, wins

Don't believe me? Look at the success formula for the guys in yellow hats and pants from Fargo. As I've said, they don't do anything exceptional; they do the fundamentals, line of scrimmage play, exceptionally well. 

*© Paul Allen, Nine To Noon Show, KFAN

The nice thing is we will have the benchmark of where the line of scrimmage is at right off the bat in September with Wyoming and the ac.

Simmons is done for good. 

That's unfortunate. Ensures Olivera will have his redshirt taken off barring some unforeseen event. Here's my stab at the two deep.

QB: 

Mollberg

Bartels

(it could really be any of the three, QB's will be interesting to watch this offseason)

RB:

Arrington

Olivera

Sharp

FB:

Iverson

Vesledahl

WR:

Siebel

Georges

WR:

Walker

Cerriteno

TE:

Adler

Ruhe

OL:

LT: Camy

LG: Anderson

C: Francis

RG: Meehan

RT: Stockwell

Boas

Miller

Hellman

Bell

Beck

(came down to Boas and Meehan for the last starting spot. I expect Boas to be the first lineman in if there are injuries to Francis or either guard)

DE:

Dranka

Woodsmall

(Woodsmall should get some snaps at both DE and DT. Loss of Cheatom hurts the depth on the DL.)

DT:

Hinojosa

Harris

DE:

Carrothers

Greely

OLB:

Idowu

Disterhaupt

ILB:

Ratelle

O'Brien

ILB:

Rich

Bakker/Norberg

OLB:

Labat

Harmstrom/Butler

CB:

Brown

James

CB:

Carter

Harris

FS:

Reyes

Johnson

SS:

Arnell

Smith

(Safties are up in the air other than Reyes. Hard for me to imagine Smith beating out both transfers we brought in at safety but I can't picture Smith redshirting as he such a rare talent that the coaches need to find a way to get him involved. 

K: Taubenheim

P: Bolduc

That's unfortunate. Ensures Olivera will have his redshirt taken off barring some unforeseen event. Here's my stab at the two deep.

QB: 

Mollberg

Bartels

(it could really be any of the three, QB's will be interesting to watch this offseason)

RB:

Arrington

Olivera

Sharp

FB:

Iverson

Vesledahl

WR:

Siebel

Georges

WR:

Walker

Cerriteno

TE:

Adler

Ruhe

OL:

LT: Camy

LG: Anderson

C: Francis

RG: Meehan

RT: Stockwell

Boas

Miller

Hellman

Bell

Beck

(came down to Boas and Meehan for the last starting spot. I expect Boas to be the first lineman in if there are injuries to Francis or either guard)

DE:

Dranka

Woodsmall

(Woodsmall should get some snaps at both DE and DT. Loss of Cheatom hurts the depth on the DL.)

DT:

Hinojosa

Harris

DE:

Carrothers

Greely

OLB:

Idowu

Disterhaupt

ILB:

Ratelle

O'Brien

ILB:

Rich

Bakker/Norberg

OLB:

Labat

Harmstrom/Butler

CB:

Brown

James

CB:

Carter

Harris

FS:

Reyes

Johnson

SS:

Arnell

Smith

(Safties are up in the air other than Reyes. Hard for me to imagine Smith beating out both transfers we brought in at safety but I can't picture Smith redshirting as he such a rare talent that the coaches need to find a way to get him involved. 

K: Taubenheim

P: Bolduc

With confidence......and if healthy, Reyes and Johnson start at the safeties. Harris starts at one corner, the other corner is open. We have good options for nickel. Not sure where Awarri Smith will fall into the mix, that will be interesting.

I am a little surprised at the hype over studsrud. If we have an offensive line and a run game, then by far the biggest thing we need out of our qb is passing accuracy, and I think bartles and molberg are way ahead of stuezrud in that category. I still think it makes a lot of sense to redshirt studsrud.

• Upvote 1

I dunno, maybe Studsrod will make some gains in the off-season with accuracy. Accuracy can be affected by confidence and mechanics. He's had a full year in the program, now an offseason. That should give coaches a good chance to tweak some mechanics. 

If you are judging by what happened last season.  Mollberg was playing a lot better before the injury and if he continues to improve could be very good.  Obviously the injury is a factor for him but I saw a lot of improvement during the season.  I have always liked Bartels and basically feel he has been smarter with the football than Mollberg overall and think given the chance will be very effective.  I actually like the improvement I saw in Studsrud over the last several games as well.  He was put in an extremely difficult situation by having his redshirt pulled late and with little to no WR talent around him.  The offensive line was run blocking better at the end of the year the pass pro was still pretty bad. 

Any of the three could be really good players as the team develops but I don't think any are superstars.  I hope they prove me wrong. 

If you are judging by what happened last season. Mollberg was playing a lot better before the injury and if he continues to improve could be very good. Obviously the injury is a factor for him but I saw a lot of improvement during the season. I have always liked Bartels and basically feel he has been smarter with the football than Mollberg overall and think given the chance will be very effective. I actually like the improvement I saw in Studsrud over the last several games as well. He was put in an extremely difficult situation by having his redshirt pulled late and with little to no WR talent around him. The offensive line was run blocking better at the end of the year the pass pro was still pretty bad.

Any of the three could be really good players as the team develops but I don't think any are superstars. I hope they prove me wrong.

I thought Joe was on the verge of a breakthrough before he got hurt. He played so well late against Montana and was nearly perfect and in total control before his concussion against PSU. There's no way of knowing how he'll be coming off of thay injury though....
  • Upvote 1

Personally, I think all three could be good, not great, quarterbacks THIS season. That's all the offense needs though, considering how Bubba wants to play defense and run his offense. One must remember Studsrud was a TRUE freshman last season and he did manage to win his last two starts. I think he could be a much better QB this upcoming season. As for Mollberg, he was definitely improving and I hope the injury doesn't set him back. Bartels played well in his two main opportunities and also has potential. However, without question, the biggest potential difference maker this season is the offensive line and skill position players. Last season, the o line was inexperienced and the skill position players were stripped thin. It's quite useless to make an evaluation of the QBs given what they had to work with. The additions at RB and WR for this season should make a huge difference, along with the returners at OL.