SiouxSports.com Forum

What has changed at REA in 10 years?

Fedorov

The lights on the outside of the building that once proudly shined the news HOME OF THE FIGHTING SIOUX now proudly shine the words HOME OF NORTH DAKOTA HOCKEY.

Look for my tent, lawn chair, and hot plate outside of the Northwest Entrance. I am too slow to get myself out of the prevailing winds.

Go Sioux!!

Fedorov, if you run into NDH this weekend, don't forget to ask him about the golden days of yore when Bob May was a wee mite hockey player in the youth program. NDH sat little Bob down on his lap after practice one day and told him "son, someday you'd make a great coach at the University of North Dakota. Maybe even win their first championship." True story.

It was always easy for me to park by the nursing building.  It is a shame that the jerseys are different.  I still have the good ones.  The yoga pants sound promising!  

It sounds like I need to get there early to see all of these differences.  What is the best way, other than this site, to find people re-selling tickets?

PM sent.

It was always easy for me to park by the nursing building.  It is a shame that the jerseys are different.  I still have the good ones.  The yoga pants sound promising!  

It sounds like I need to get there early to see all of these differences.  What is the best way, other than this site, to find people re-selling tickets?

I have two available

The Ralph website has a ticket exchange now too I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

It was really fun to be back in Grand Forks for a few hours.  I of course had to enjoy Blue Moose before the game.  It seems like the concourse is a little more energetic than I remember, but the crowd certainly isn't.  I was really surprised with how quiet the students are.  Maybe CC just isn't as exciting as before, but that part was disappointing.  It is still such a nice arena to be watching a game and the #1 team in college hockey.  

I did not see enough yoga pants.  That feels like false advertising!

It was really fun to be back in Grand Forks for a few hours.  I of course had to enjoy Blue Moose before the game.  It seems like the concourse is a little more energetic than I remember, but the crowd certainly isn't.  I was really surprised with how quiet the students are.  Maybe CC just isn't as exciting as before, but that part was disappointing.  It is still such a nice arena to be watching a game and the #1 team in college hockey.  

I did not see enough yoga pants.  That feels like false advertising!

Consider yourself lucky about the pants. For every one that should be wearing yoga pants.....there is five that under no circumstances should be.

It was really fun to be back in Grand Forks for a few hours. I of course had to enjoy Blue Moose before the game. It seems like the concourse is a little more energetic than I remember, but the crowd certainly isn't. I was really surprised with how quiet the students are. Maybe CC just isn't as exciting as before, but that part was disappointing. It is still such a nice arena to be watching a game and the #1 team in college hockey.

I did not see enough yoga pants. That feels like false advertising!

The crowd at the ralph is a bit tame. Unfortunately that is just how it has gotten. I really don't get it why some say it's the most intimidating college hockey arena to play in.

I thought Friday was louder, at least early in the game, but it definitely isn't nearly as loud as even 4-5 years ago.

I was in the student section back than I remember standing and cheering the whole game.  I went to a game earlier this year and I was dissapointed in the student section.  I started cheering/student chants and the guy next to me said I'm glad your here the other games people don't get involved.  I was disappointed again I wonder how we can bring back the energy that was there.  I mean if the #1 team in the nation can't get people that involved I don't know what will.

I was in the student section back than I remember standing and cheering the whole game.  I went to a game earlier this year and I was dissapointed in the student section.  I started cheering/student chants and the guy next to me said I'm glad your here the other games people don't get involved.  I was disappointed again I wonder how we can bring back the energy that was there.  I mean if the #1 team in the nation can't get people that involved I don't know what will.

I think it's interesting as we no longer have a nickname, the "let's go sioux" chants with the crowd has become almost non-existant. I remember growing up and going to the new and old ralph and loved joining in on that chant to get the team fired up.

Too bad that's regressed....

The crowd at the ralph is a bit tame. Unfortunately that is just how it has gotten. I really don't get it why some say it's the most intimidating college hockey arena to play in.

A lot of those people are coaches and players so it must not be too bad... I personally think after a goal that place gets as rocking as any other rink. However, I do agree that between goals more could be done for the atmosphere.  I've actually noticed a few new student chants so at least a step in the right direction.

Just because it's not as loud through a game doesn't mean it's not intimidating to players. Heck most will play in front of 1-5k tops their entire careers then a stadium packed with 11/12 is night and day. Just is. It isn't as loud as it used to be but still can get cranked up louder than any. road players always say it's a tough and fun atmosphere and it is. Go sioux

Just because it's not as loud through a game doesn't mean it's not intimidating to players. Heck most will play in front of 1-5k tops their entire careers then a stadium packed with 11/12 is night and day. Just is. It isn't as loud as it used to be but still can get cranked up louder than any. road players always say it's a tough and fun atmosphere and it is. Go sioux

A couple examples that come to mind for me......

I remember when students at the Ralph would have personal notes on every opposing player for when he was in the penalty box. That opposing player would get lit up by the students.

Not at the ralph but when the sioux travelled to Ithaca to play Cornell. Malone lost his helmet and the entire crowd let him have it. Anywhere from fire crotch to ugly was yelled at him from every direction. Then the student section started a "cover it up" chant.

I know these examples might be a little dirty but this is hockey! This atmosphere has disappeared from the Ralph.