SiouxSports.com Forum

coaching changes around FCS

UND92,96

The PSU football program is on its way out. Idaho's football program is on a path back to the Big Sky. If and when that happens the commissioners plan would be to drop Cal Poly and Cal Davis also and then add USD, SDSU and NDSU making it a 14 team league split East and West. I'm not saying that's going to happen, just saying it's been discussed. But at the very least the PSU football program has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel!

The PSU football program is on its way out. Idaho's football program is on a path back to the Big Sky. If and when that happens the commissioners plan would be to drop Cal Poly and Cal Davis also and then add USD, SDSU and NDSU making it a 14 team league split East and West. I'm not saying that's going to happen, just saying it's been discussed. But at the very least the PSU football program has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel!

Like the idea, but why would NDSU/SDSU leave Missouri Valley?

What are Poly and Davis going to do?  Be independent?

The Big 12 is looking at adding Colorado State and one other team (I'm hearing UCF) which would leave an open spot in the Mountain Division of the Mountain West.  Idaho could be an option, although Boise will likely fight that.

The Big 12 has been busy in the last 24 hours.  Depending on who you believe, they are looking at BYU, Colorado St., Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, USF, SMU, Houston, or San Jose St.

I would be shocked if they are looking at Houston.  It has been a sore spot for years with UH people and I think UT doesn't want them in. 

Pelini will still make his $3 mill / yr courtesy of Nebraska and it doesn't cost YSU much.  I bet YSU Pres Jim Tressel gets YSU in the Sun Belt and goes FBS.  He has the coaching star power for that now.

Houston has a brand-new stadium and some history from the old SWC...why wouldn't UH be a good fit in the Big XII?

I am not positive on all the reasons but I know UT has blocked them getting in previously.  I think some at UT might think it will make pulling the best recruits out of Houston more difficult.  UH is a commuter school so it really doesn't have a very good "college" atmosphere and I doubt Houston in the Big 12 would hurt schools like UT when it comes to recruiting but you never know. 

I am not positive on all the reasons but I know UT has blocked them getting in previously. I think some at UT might think it will make pulling the best recruits out of Houston more difficult. UH is a commuter school so it really doesn't have a very good "college" atmosphere and I doubt Houston in the Big 12 would hurt schools like UT when it comes to recruiting but you never know.

Lots of politics with this stuff...had it not been for Ann Richards and other Baylor alum politicians back in the day, the Bears would have never gotten into the Big XII.