SiouxSports.com Forum

coaching changes around FCS

UND92,96

The PSU football program is on its way out. Idaho's football program is on a path back to the Big Sky. If and when that happens the commissioners plan would be to drop Cal Poly and Cal Davis also and then add USD, SDSU and NDSU making it a 14 team league split East and West. I'm not saying that's going to happen, just saying it's been discussed. But at the very least the PSU football program has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel!

Do you think such a plan has been discussed with SDSU?  I would be surprised...I think SDSU's vision is pointed east, not west.

Do you think such a plan has been discussed with SDSU? I would be surprised...I think SDSU's vision is pointed east, not west.

I have no idea if it has been discussed with any of the schools I mentioned, I just know it's been discussed with UND. I don't know if any of the other schools are even remotely interested. The football landscape is going to change a lot in the next few years and I think the big sky is just trying to in a strong position.

I am not positive on all the reasons but I know UT has blocked them getting in previously.  I think some at UT might think it will make pulling the best recruits out of Houston more difficult.  UH is a commuter school so it really doesn't have a very good "college" atmosphere and I doubt Houston in the Big 12 would hurt schools like UT when it comes to recruiting but you never know. 

Anne Richards blocked them when she was Governor, as she and the Lt Gov. and insisted the Baylor get in over Houston.  Houston actually had a chance to join the SEC with A&M in 1993, but A&M went with the Big 12.  The Big 12 would never accept Houston now, as four Texas teams is enough (the broadcast partners wouldn't go for it).  Houston has to wait until Texas leaves the Big 12 to get a call, or Houston and SMU could go to the PAC12, which would be good Texas markets to get into for the PAC12 (and their broadcast partners would likely approve, but first the PAC12 needs to digest Colorado and Utah).  Houston and SMU have enough academic and research components so they won't be blocked by Stanford and co, so other than Big 12 schools themselves, their the next possible PAc12 members (Boise St, BYU, and UNLV would be blocked). 

Anne Richards blocked them when she was Governor, as she and the Lt Gov. and insisted the Baylor get in over Houston. Houston actually had a chance to join the SEC with A&M in 1993, but A&M went with the Big 12. The Big 12 would never accept Houston now, as four Texas teams is enough (the broadcast partners wouldn't go for it). Houston has to wait until Texas leaves the Big 12 to get a call, or Houston and SMU could go to the PAC12, which would be good Texas markets to get into for the PAC12 (and their broadcast partners would likely approve, but first the PAC12 needs to digest Colorado and Utah). Houston and SMU have enough academic and research components so they won't be blocked by Stanford and co, so other than Big 12 schools themselves, their the next possible PAc12 members (Boise St, BYU, and UNLV would be blocked).

According to everything I've read on the subject, Baylor got in over TCU. Houston, SMU, and Rice had pretty much zero shot.

Wander what they're paying him? Whatever it is Nebraska is paying 1.8 Million dollars of his earinings  per year for the next 51 months (according to wikipedia). Not sure if it signifies a move to FBS. The team I believe hasn't made the playoffs since 2006, They average around 14,000-16,000 fans but are leaving 4000-6000 seats empty per game. Not sure FBS would bring much more interest, especially if they aren't winning.

Wander what they're paying him? Whatever it is Nebraska is paying 1.8 Million dollars of his earinings  per year for the next 51 months (according to wikipedia). Not sure if it signifies a move to FBS. The team I believe hasn't made the playoffs since 2006, They average around 14,000-16,000 fans but are leaving 4000-6000 seats empty per game. Not sure FBS would bring much more interest, especially if they aren't winning.

The Sun Belt would be the only option. Pres Tressel wants FBS bad, to put YSU on the map.