SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ St. Cloud - FRIDAY GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

That was Tom Satterdalen, former coach of Bloomington Jefferson HS, and winning coach of a LOT of MN tourney's.   And he's right, the game has changed.  We used to have guys who would make you pay for camping in front of the net.  But with penalties being what they are, it's not worth the risk anymore.  Now we need to have D-men who are mobile and can take the puck up ice with speed, and jump into the slot when we have opportunities for offense.  It's a different style of play, and requires different players to cover positions.

I've heard that for the past seven years.

so we are relegated to moral victories now?  so evidently this isn't as deep of a team as some say, cuz if you lose a rookie you now hope for the best?  und had troubles winning faceoffs tonight which is a focus issue.  win more faceoffs and you might get a few more opportunities to have a scoring chance instead of racing around chasing the puck the majority of the time.

To be honest, this is hockey.  Teams lose.  MN just lost to the U18 team at home (and got out shot by a lot).  SCSU is a good team for some odd reason, even though I have no idea where some of their players come from.  But they win games.  Plain and simple.

This is hockey, you won't win every game. No reason to overreact. They got beat.... But will have a great year, they are talented on the blue line, and in golie and Pattyn is a good captain and Caggula has become a guy with the puck.

They miss Nick on the power play obviously. And Luke isn't ready to be a top 6 forward, he will be next year just like Caggula and Knight a few years ago. But the problem is no one else should be a top 6 in place of Johnson.

My only complaint is Murphy should not be on the ice at this point. Let along be on the 2nd line, he is a flop of a recruit to this point. At least put a grinder out there who creates a presence like Trevor Olson.

This is hockey, you won't win every game. No reason to overreact. They got beat.... But will have a great year, they are talented on the blue line, and in golie and Pattyn is a good captain and Caggula has become a guy with the puck.

They miss Nick on the power play obviously. And Luke isn't ready to be a top 6 forward, he will be next year just like Caggula and Knight a few years ago. But the problem is no one else should be a top 6 in place of Johnson.

My only complaint is Murphy should not be on the ice at this point. Let along be on the 2nd line, he is a flop of a recruit to this point. At least put a grinder out there who creates a presence like Trevor Olson.

I actually completely disagree about Murphy tonight. I thought he played with great jump and was all around the puck tonight.

How many points has Murphyy produced? We are a quarter of the way through his sophomore season, by Sioux expectations: he has no business on a top 6 line. He has proven that.

Ummmmmmmmm...glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way. ZERO...count em...zero goals scored to date. Nuf said. A top 6 guy has to do more than be "all around the puck" IMO.

He is turning into OD 2.0. A guy that Hak really likes, "practices" well, has "potential" but rarely makes positive plays in games. Look at OD last night...what was his most memorable play. Hint...SCSU PPG.

I have a buddy who just hates St. Cloud......claims they're the ones who started the whole political correctness thing with the nickname/logo and all....I think I'll go along with  him and hate them too.....but not as much as the Gophers. 

That was their former President Potter's agenda - once he left so did any support of the issue. Ironically he left SCSU in financial distress - should have spent more time watching the budget. The story also goes that liberal professors would offer student's extra credit to go hold a sign at UND games, once the extra credit went away so did their concern about the nickname.

Toe to toe my ass - since when do we settle for this - this isn't Muss's football team for God's sake - this is Fighting Sioux Hockey

It's a long season. You lose games. You can't afford to lose games to bad teams or get swept. Neither happened last night.

This team is potentially a frozen four team, but they aren't going to beat the world on talent alone.

• Upvote 1

It's been mentioned, but not enough.  The Sioux were quick at the start of the game, and slow by the end.  What happened in between?  100 lost faceoffs, including every one in front of Zane.  Every whistle was basically handing possession to SCSU and chasing them for thirty seconds.  They're going to have to fix that.

I personally don't buy the "didn't show up."  I thought they played hard, missed the net on some good looks, and ran out of gas chasing the Huskies around trying to get the puck back.

I'm glad someone else noticed this. I couldn't believe how many faceoffs we lost clean in our own end. I don't recall winning one or even just tying up. Everyone was a clean loss and directly led to the 3rd St Cloud goal on the pp since we lost the draw and St Cloud controlled the puck and tired out our killers until they finally scored. This team needs to find a draw man as Mac is still our best with one arm.

IMO need to see Pattyn Gaarder and Olson tonight. This team lacks a tough, grind it out line. Top line keep the same. If Chyzyk can go, put him and Colton w LJ. That leaves Simonson to center Pogs and OD.

I agree. I've said all year Pattyn and Gaarder should play together since they are similar grind it out type players. Nothing flashy just hard work. I don't like spreading out grinders throughout your forward lines.

When NS comes back I'd like to see him w Bryn at wings and LJ at center.

Hope Bryn is not the next missing injured. Mark and Ladue still playing with their injuries, and not as effective as the were yet. Sioux can not afford another player going like Chyzyk to be out or playing less than 100%. 

At the moment, this team lacks a spark up front if your name is not Parks, Cags, Mac.

We need LJ, OD, or Murphy (to get the monkey off his back) to ignite the team. St. Clair given his role, has been that guy in certain games and added a goal here and there, but those three that I mentioned need to do more.

D-core last night, that was the wost offensive production game from them all year. St. Cloud is a good team, give them credit.

Team started out great for the first 10 mins. 2nd period was pretty even with at times, St. Cloud dictating the play. The 3rd period was just bad. OD you might as well sit tonight.

Lastly, when we have Olson in the line up, guess what? We win. He should be in the line up every game imo.

Poganksi looked great last night. HIs best game. Making hits and moving his feet. Just keep preaching two hands on the stick with him. He's getting there. What a big body for a freshie.

Regroup. Battle. Win tonight.

How many points has Murphyy produced? We are a quarter of the way through his sophomore season, by Sioux expectations: he has no business on a top 6 line. He has proven that.

I'm starting to agree with you.  Still cannot believe he is pointless.  I actually thought he looked ok last night but if your only presence on being on the ice is to provide offensive output you have to do just that.

I said he played well tonight. As he did. Nothing about what he's done in his career. Calm down. If you think he should come out tonight, fine, but he played well tonight.

You mean to tell me we didn't sweep? Good thing Frattins team his senior year, the deepest team I've ever seen, swept at SCSU otherwise it'd be a drought that goes back to 1998

Lol agreed. Was it frustrating not to win last night? Yes. I thought we were the better team, especially 5-on-5, tonight. But, we lost. Oh well. Let's roll tonight.