SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Miami - FRIDAY

AZSIOUX

Bad 1st period cost us tonight and I thought we looked real average tonight. The powerplay as a whole struggled tonight and I thought LaDue and Thompson really were bad together on the one unit. The defense overall needs to be better tomorrow and limit the quality chances Zane made a couple real big saves to give us a chance. Need to come out ready to play from the drop of the puck tonight and can't miss the net so much make Williams make some tough saves and really test him and really go hard to the net since he wants to dive around. Really liked the physical play from the Johnson line and hope we see more of that throughout the lineup.

Agreed, actually the first ten minutes or so we're just putrid, cost us the game. I thought our D looked poor at times. Poolman a huge mistake on that shorty. That pinch was "men's league-ish". He'll fix that though. Additionally, our PP is getting pretty bad. Hopefully tonight isn't the night where the refs decide to give Miami the PPs because it seemed like we had them last night, haven't checked the box score though.

Anyone notice that Mac was the one taking most of St. Clair's shifts after he got his game misconduct? I think that's a good sign that a player out for a few weeks comes back and is double-shifted. He also took and won the last draw of the game. I think we may see him back at center tonight. Lots of comments about Thompson needing to be better but I thought he was alright last night. #24 has to be a lot better. That 1st period was as bad a period as he has played maybe since his freshman season.

Yeah, there are certain people on this board that like to call out every single mistake Thompson makes however he played ok last night. I did happen to notice his reaction time was slow on the PP but that's probably because he hasn't played that much.

Hopefully tonight isn't the night where the refs decide to give Miami the PPs because it seemed like we had them last night, haven't checked the box score though.

6 pp for the good guys, 2 for Miami.Miami was prone to holding and interference when in trouble, and the calls were made, although I thought the marbles were getting heavy when the call on Pattyn was made. Hopefully they emptied their pockets after the game.

Replace "UND" with "Minnesota" and "Miami" with "UMD" and you would likely find this same exact post over on Gopher Puke Live this morning. I'm quite confident not being "up" for the game had nothing to do with the early play...

I hear ya and maybe my choice of words was not the best. My analysis of the game was handicapped by only reading comments in the live chat. But all the posters were saying how UND looked like they weren't ready to play. The team must have realized from the opening drop of the puck that MU was hungry, fast & bringing their A game; that it took them more than 10 minutes to wake up and start playing was the frustrating part. That's what I don't get, especially at this level. I accept losses a lot better when the team plays a full 60 minutes. Maybe it's time to sift through the line-up and sit a couple guys who weren't contributing 100 percent and setting bad examples to their teammates. Laughter is the best medicine in health and winning is the best medicine in sports..

Hak was quoted as saying he felt they played pretty well for 50 minutes...one can easily decipher which 10 minutes he wasn't happy with.

Hak seemed to say a lot with his facial expressions in his interview with Katie Hale after the game. He seemed extremely heated compared to any interview I've seen him do in a while. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that's what it seemed like.

I dont think any of Miami's big guns (Coleman,Barber, Czarnick) had a single point last night. Not sure if thats good or bad for tonight. Hoping for the same tonight.

Kuraly had two goals and an assist, and he's definitely still considered one of their 'big guns'. 

I think it's good for this team to be challenged.  Let's face it, that winning record involves a lot of 'should beat' teams.  The thing that most surprised me was how incredibly dependent the PP is on Nick Schmaltz.  I expected it to be a little rougher without him...I did not expect it to be that abysmal.

Here's hoping the boys come out and pull off a split tonight.

I would guess Blasi popped some video in the old Miami VCR on Thursday night and showed his team last year's debacle in GF as a little reminder of how not to play...and I'm sure many of Miami's players are out to prove that last uear's entire RedHawk season is not the norm...

From what I had read, this was the story line that Miami was coming into this game with a chip on their shoulder. They also celebrated every goal as if they had scored the game-winning goal in the Stanley Cup.

Kuraly had two goals and an assist, and he's definitely still considered one of their 'big guns'. 

I think it's good for this team to be challenged.  Let's face it, that winning record involves a lot of 'should beat' teams.  The thing that most surprised me was how incredibly dependent the PP is on Nick Schmaltz.  I expected it to be a little rougher without him...I did not expect it to be that abysmal.

Here's hoping the boys come out and pull off a split tonight.

Miami may have potent front lines, but their goalie ain't no Ken Dryden. Just roll 4 lines, play 60 passionate minutes & introduce him to a lot of rubber. Exploit their weakest link: their goalie.

We learned a lot last night, we'll learn even more tonight with how they respond; tonight will be a big character test. Will they pass or fail this character test?

First, I think Miami played a good road game last night. Credit and kudos to them. They're a good hockey team. That being said, they’re not world beaters. Sure their top-six forwards are awesome… No doubt about it. To be honest with you, I wouldn’t trade their defenders/D-Core for UND’s. I also think UND has more depth through their forward lines after lines one and two.

In my opinion, UND lost on a bad bounce off the end boards and UND still almost ended tying the game at the end. It was a fluke in my opinion. I remember that happening a few times last season and the season before as well. Right behind that net is a stanchion from the Zamboni door and the puck comes off the end boards like that. It was like the puck was in slow motion.

This may seem strange, but I have no problem with getting beat by a good team this time of year if we've been beating so-so teams.   As long as they learn.

I was thinking the same thing.  Sure, I was bummed nothing came out of that flurry right at the end.  But I don't mind them losing to this Miami team...once.  I certainly don't think Miami is unbeatable, but I think it gave the Sioux a decent look at a better team than what we've played thus far.