SiouxSports.com Forum

Extremely Hypothetical: 7-5 = playoffs?

geaux_sioux

True but in the case of your fan base, you don't seem to get it.

1.) 7 win at large teams generally do not make the playoffs unless you have some impressive wins. Beating 7 non ranked teams in the big sky will not get you in the playoffs as Darell thinks it will.

2.) wins against FBS teams are great for FCS teams and trying to diminish those wins, because you are 0-7 against FBS teams and are jealous, does nothing for your own program.

Not trying to be a jerk. Just trying to help you guys understand what it takes to make the playoffs. Finish with a minimum of 7 wins AND actually beat a few good teams.

You need to not try a LOT harder.

Listen turd, we fully understand what it would take to make the playoffs. We also understand that so far our teams have not made the playoffs because they have not achieved enough wins. This is a hypothetical thread. No need to read between the lines on this one. 

You are clearly very insecure for some reason and it boggles me because your team has won three straight and is looking pretty good this season. What gives?

Listen turd, we fully understand what it would take to make the playoffs. We also understand that so far our teams have not made the playoffs because they have not achieved enough wins. This is a hypothetical thread. No need to read between the lines on this one.

You are clearly very insecure for some reason and it boggles me because your team has won three straight and is looking pretty good this season. What gives?

Not insecure about anything. I hope UND runs the table and gets selected for the playoffs this year. They would almost certainly be in NDSU's bracket and it would be great to see that game.

True but in the case of your fan base, you don't seem to get it.

1.) 7 win at large teams generally do not make the playoffs unless you have some impressive wins. Beating 7 non ranked teams in the big sky will not get you in the playoffs as Darell thinks it will.

2.) wins against FBS teams are great for FCS teams and trying to diminish those wins, because you are 0-7 against FBS teams and are jealous, does nothing for your own program.

Not trying to be a jerk. Just trying to help you guys understand what it takes to make the playoffs. Finish with a minimum of 7 wins AND actually beat a few good teams.

However, it is possible for 7-win teams to get in the playoffs! Just accept it and move along. This season, if UND won 7 games and one was against #2 EWU they probably wouldn't make the playoffs, but if Montana or MSU falters a bit in the end, UND might. Stop repeating the obvious.

Beating FBS schools are good accomplishments, but they still need to be normalized. NDSU's wins vs MAC schools were not that big of a deal. Even if UND beat a team like Bowling Green or Eastern Michigan, I don't think UND fans would get too crazy. Winning in the playoffs is still the ultimate goal. We know moo U has beat some good Big 12 teams, but now, just calm down and stop getting all defensive because you presume UND is "jealous". We're not jealous of your "only-football" Ag school at all, trust me.

Lastly, stop acting like you're some FCS playoff committee member. You may be an alumnus of a very good FCS football school, but you're still not in a position to preach.

I am tired of threads being ruined by trolls looking to stir the pot. As pointed out in the past there are some great post from fans of other teams but it is clear that this is not one of those situations. 

Best way to get rid of trolls is to ignore them.  Trolls are looking to stir the pot, when you respond to them, they are getting exactly what they are here for.  There is an ignore button.  Although 2011 BA is posting stuff UND fans don't care to hear, I wouldn't necessarily consider his posts as trolling.  He's just here to make sure nobody says anything bad about the bisons or make sure that UND fans don't get too excited about the progress of our team...not sure why he feels the need to do it, but I would guess it's because he leads a lonely life and has nothing better to do than monitor message boards of non-rivals.  Anyways, if people stop responding to him, he'll be less likely to post...

• Upvote 2

Why did you throw Kansas on here? Because NDSU played them that year? Who cares , NDSU took care of them and won the game.

I just think it is funny that Dbag1976 tries to tear down FBS wins while at the same time was pumping it up when UND went toe to toe with SDSU. 0-7 against FBS teams. When/if UND ever beats an FBS team you know dang well you and the entire UND fan base claim it to be the best UND win ever, even if it is against a team like Idaho.

Doubt it....

Best way to get rid of trolls is to ignore them. Trolls are looking to stir the pot, when you respond to them, they are getting exactly what they are here for. There is an ignore button. Although 2011 BA is posting stuff UND fans don't care to hear, I wouldn't necessarily consider his posts as trolling. He's just here to make sure nobody says anything bad about the bisons or make sure that UND fans don't get too excited about the progress of our team...not sure why he feels the need to do it, but I would guess it's because he leads a lonely life and has nothing better to do than monitor message boards of non-rivals. Anyways, if people stop responding to him, he'll be less likely to post...

I am just discussing playoff possibilities. I am not trying to take anything away from UND. They seem to be playing better under Bubba, but discussing playoffs they haven't, yet, accomplished anything. Like I said earlier I hope they run the table and make the playoffs. I think even at that, they have to have a lot fall their way. The Big Sky as a conference is too weak this year to have 4 teams get in. If UND,Montana, and Montana State get 8 wins, Montana and Montana State will get the nod due to head to head wins over UND and the fact that they will draw more fans to their games.

Don't have a lonely life. Have the day off and waiting to get my vehicle back from the mechanic so I can get back in my bow stand.

I asked an EWU fan (Red & Black on AGS) if he thought Adams would be back for the UND game, this was his response:

I don't think anyone really knows, but my guess is it's extremely doubtful. He is actually dealing with an MCL sprain as well as a broken foot, who knows which takes longer to heal. My personal opinion is that we won't see him back in pads until the Montana game at the earliest, and even then West may still get the start. I don't think the break was that bad, but at the same time I don't think this kinda stuff can be rushed. If we make the playoffs and he can be back on the field by then, I'll be pretty happy. 

Would be great news for UND's defense if he doesn't come back, we may have a shot at an upset.   Montana is their next game after UND.

UND plays 3 opponents with a combined record of 3-20 (SUU, WSU, UNC), host NAU who losses include UNC and USD so that leaves EWU who beat UNC by 8, ISU by 3 at home. If UND's offense can play with confidence and the defense can produce turnovers and don't break, 8-4 could become a reality.

I stated if they can upset EW they could make the playoffs and will if they get to 8 wins.

What are the odds that UND and Idaho State can get in. ISU if they run the table will finish 9-3 with just MSU as their biggest hurdle. They play 3 poor teams, Cal Poly at home, and at MSU. The thing about ISU is they have 2 wins vs non DI teams so the most DI wins they would have is 7.  UND with 8 DI wins hopefully will be a guarantee in, but to put both, plus the Montana's and EWU would give the BSC 5 teams. Plus who knows about Cal Poly as they could end up (including a loss to ISU) with an 8-4 record. 

ISU 9-3

UND 8-4

CP 8-4.

Hell of a log jam for 1 possible spot.

True that's tough, didn't realize how tight that would put it.  BSC won't get 5 in, heck the MVFC won't get 5 in and they have the toughest conference in the FCS.  They might not get 4 in. 

How many did the Big Sky get in last year?  

You're probably right though, the MVFC dedicated the majority of their media day to bitching about the playoff selection process and taking jabs at the Big Sky so it will more than likely change.

How many did the Big Sky get in last year?

You're probably right though, the MVFC dedicated the majority of their media day to bitching about the playoff selection process and taking jabs at the Big Sky so it will more than likely change.

BSC had 4 teams last year.

The MVFC is the best in the FCS.  They had a point in not getting teams in.  I don't agree that they should automatically get 4-5 teams in but if any other conference gets 4 then they should likely too unless a team has 5+ losses.  Big Sky is maybe 3rd best I'd say.

Which will even make it harder for UND and ISU to get in as they should get more teams than the Big Sky.

Which will even make it harder for UND and ISU to get in as they should get more teams than the Big Sky.

Two quick questions for you. 

1.) Has the 7th best conference in the FCS, according to the Sagarin rankings, ever had 4 teams in the playoffs?

2.) Has a team that was unranked and not receiving a single vote, in either the coaches poll or Sports Network poll,  as of Week 10, ever went on to then make the playoffs? 

I thought teams, not conferences, were selected for playoffs. 

Is it Week 10 already? 

Teams are selected but in conferences that are not strong, the 4th best team does not tend to get in due a quality of wins factor.

Last week was week 10 of rankings. I think there are 1 or two that come out before the season starts. 

Two quick questions for you. 

1.) Has the 7th best conference in the FCS, according to the Sagarin rankings, ever had 4 teams in the playoffs?

2.) Has a team that was unranked and not receiving a single vote, in either the coaches poll or Sports Network poll,  as of Week 10, ever went on to then make the playoffs? 

You do understand what 'Extremely Hypothetical' means in this case, correct?   It's not like the topic is named 'Playoffs Here We Come!!'