SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

I realize Minnesota is struggling and in the danger zone in the PWR, and I take as much enjoyment as anyone in the current state of things; but you'd think Sioux fans would be the first group to understand that there is still a lot of hockey to be played and that teams still have time to right the ship and save their season at this point.  While they certainly can't afford any more slip-ups in their conference games, Minnesota has a pretty good opportunity to help themselves at the North Star College Cup this weekend. 

I, for one, am still nervous about a late run from Minny because they are very talented and capable, but, they aren't playing very well. If they lose two at the NS Cup this weekend, which they could very well do, they will need to win the Big 10 tourney.

I, for one, am still nervous about a late run from Minny because they are very talented and capable, but, they aren't playing very well. If they lose two at the NS Cup this weekend, which they could very well do, they will need to win the Big 10 tourney.

winning the big 10 tournament shouldn't be too difficult after all there are really only two teams:minny and michigan.  so they really would only have to beat one team along with a cupcake.

winning the big 10 tournament shouldn't be too difficult after all there are really only two teams:minny and michigan. so they really would only have to beat one team along with a cupcake.

Penn State could give them a run for their money.

winning the big 10 tournament shouldn't be too difficult after all there are really only two teams:minny and michigan.  so they really would only have to beat one team along with a cupcake.

Or they could lose to Ohio State. The way they're playing I don't think any cupcake is a guaranteed win.

EXACTLY. They aren't good defensively. Until that changes, they can lose to any team in the Big 10.

winning the big 10 tournament shouldn't be too difficult after all there are really only two teams:minny and michigan. so they really would only have to beat one team along with a cupcake.

Penn State or Michigan State could surprise someone though...plus that tournament is at The Joe this year, which will not help Minnesota at all.

Agree.  I think we find out a lot this weekend against Mankato and whoever else they end up playing.  If they swarm Mankato this weekend, then I think the turnaround will have begun.  If not, they may just sleepwalk for the rest of the season and need to win their conference tournament.  Hopefully Mankato will be ready for the gophers, knowing it is now or never for them.  

Agree.  I think we find out a lot this weekend against Mankato and whoever else they end up playing.  If they swarm Mankato this weekend, then I think the turnaround will have begun.  If not, they may just sleepwalk for the rest of the season and need to win their conference tournament.  Hopefully Mankato will be ready for the gophers, knowing it is now or never for them.  

Honestly, still not convinced Mankato is that good. They split with UMD and Omaha and beat the WCHA. I'm really not trying to be a hater, but I've only seen them a couple times and wasn't very impressed.

I think UMD could give Minny fits. Their front line speed will test the blue line pylons of Minnesota. I think that is a good litmus test for Minnesota. I hope they beat Mankato and get to play Duluth. Or, Mankato rolls Minny and we all realize that Minny is really average. I'm fine with either lol. :)

• Upvote 1

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/

I know polls are meaningless but und is up to #2.

The nchc has 5 teams in the top 11. All while the big ten doesn't have one team in the top 15!

its interesting that Mankato is ranked #1...how many of those 42 people that voted them 1 have actually seen them play? Probably not many, which then begs the question why are they getting all these votes? They are 1 in the pairwise; does the media look at that before voting? Or are they just throwing darts?

its interesting that Mankato is ranked #1...how many of those 42 people that voted them 1 have actually seen them play? Probably not many, which then begs the question why are they getting all these votes? They are 1 in the pairwise; does the media look at that before voting? Or are they just throwing darts?

couldn't you make that argument about any team though? How many people saw Bu play when voting for them? MTU? MN? UND?

Why wouldn't they be voted #1? They haven't lost in 8 games. I hope they beat the snot out of Minnesota.

couldn't you make that argument about any team though? How many people saw Bu play when voting for them? MTU? MN? UND?

No...you can catch a lot of Hockey East on NBCSports, and the NCHC gets a few games on CBSSports...Pig 10 has their own network...unless you live in the Midwest, it's tough to see Mankato, Tech, Bowling Green, etc. Not a lot of natl tv exposure for the WCHA.

I realize Minnesota is struggling and in the danger zone in the PWR, and I take as much enjoyment as anyone in the current state of things; but you'd think Sioux fans would be the first group to understand that there is still a lot of hockey to be played and that teams still have time to right the ship and save their season at this point.  While they certainly can't afford any more slip-ups in their conference games, Minnesota has a pretty good opportunity to help themselves at the North Star College Cup this weekend.

Snake makes a valid point. It seems under Hakstol most years (last year maybe the best example) we're always having to make a run come the new year to right the ship.

They sure can't be too bad.... We split with UMD and won/tied with UNO. And I think we're pretty damn good.

I don't disagree. I'm just going off what I've seen of them (admittedly not much... I've watched parts of three games) and looking at some of their scores against other opponents they've played. I'm not saying their bad, whatsoever. You don't win that many games by being bad. I just don't know if they are No. 1 in the country good.

I can honestly say, even though we've lost a few games, that I believe we are better than every opponent we've played up to this point in the season. Some may disagree, obviously. I think Miami, UNO and UMD are the best three teams we've played and when we played our best against those squads, we were unquestionably the better team. Again, just my opinion.

No...you can catch a lot of Hockey East on NBCSports, and the NCHC gets a few games on CBSSports...Pig 10 has their own network...unless you live in the Midwest, it's tough to see Mankato, Tech, Bowling Green, etc. Not a lot of natl tv exposure for the WCHA.

Point is though....you're crazy if you think those voters are watching all the teams theyre voting for and if they are it's only 2-3 games. It's just not possible. The more likely scenario, they're reading box scores, looking at pairwise/krach/rpi and making their best judgement.

MSU has 4 losses on the year. 3 of them to teams ranked in the top 8. They are scoring almost 4 goals a game. Had a stretch of over 400 minutes if not trailing (8+ games) and play solid defense (only giving up 21 shots per game). With all of that combined, voting for them seen or unseen is a pretty valid judgement.

MSU-M over Minnesota

BSU shocks UMD

BSU completes the weekend double and stuns MSU-M (call it the Goldie hangover). 

UMD works Goldie like a streetwalker works the Sunset Strip. 

You think so? Couple that with a weekend sweep, UND may find themselves at No. 1 in the PWR, no? Would surely flip the MSU-M comparison, right?

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2015/01/17/boyds-two-goals-help-propel-minnesota-past-wisconsin/

The recap of Wisco/MN on USCHO has several actual Sioux references (lucia, haven't had this many players in the box since the last time we played north dakota) and veiled comments (no handshake line fights). Guess Lucifer and the writer will never be over the Sioux.

Gotta love the Eaves quote as well: “We’ve used the analogy of puppies in a box; they always want to get out and when they do something good you want to scratch them behind the ear and the next thing you know they’re crapping on the carpet,” he said. “We crapped on the carpet tonight.

how about Lucia blowing it off by saying "these things happen in spirited rivalry games" but all of his belly aching about games against the Sioux. What a whiner
  • Upvote 2