SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

Harvard beats #1 BU 3-2 (OT)

BU's time as #1 didn't last long.

I don't necessarily think that should knock them off the top of the list.  I believe that is only their second loss of the year....and to a pretty darn good team is appears.  Harvard has only lost once and they have 11 draft picks.  I think they'll be top 16 come the end of the year.

I don't necessarily think that should knock them off the top of the list. I believe that is only their second loss of the year....and to a pretty darn good team is appears. Harvard has only lost once and they have 11 draft picks. I think they'll be top 16 come the end of the year.

Plus they're smaäHt kids

With the NCHC results in non conference it is only a matter of time before all NCHC schools start moving up.  Where as last years the non conference killed us, this year the non conference will likely get 5 or 6 teams into the national tournament.  

I'd be shocked to see that many. Four is probably what it will be. 

Nice write-up in Goon's blog on the B1G Hockey Conference:

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2014/11/what-to-make-of-big-10.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FZTZqA+%28Goon%27s+World%29

I suppose their comeback would be: "But our games are on the all-powerful BTN, so it doesn't matter." :silly:

I strongly suspected that this conference would be mediocre before it got started.  It sure looks that way so far.

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2014/11/what-to-make-of-big-10.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FZTZqA+%28Goon%27s+World%29

I suppose their comeback would be: "But our games are on the all-powerful BTN, so it doesn't matter." :silly:

I strongly suspected that this conference would be mediocre before it got started. It sure looks that way so far.

I'm no fan of the B1G, but in all seriousness we are only a year and a half into this whole realignment. Tough to draw any conclusions until we get a few more years in.

I strongly suspected that this conference would be mediocre before it got started.  It sure looks that way so far.

The B1G writer Paula on USCHO didn't sound worried all that much as she broke down each team in the B1G. In both articles it showed that the B1G is weak conference, I would have like to see both writers show each team and the conference, as a whole, out of conference record. One commenter of the USCHO article said "The B1G really needs to add more teams to the conference". and the team he lists in UND. He also said that there are no other B1G schools thinking about adding hockey.

To put it nicely, let's just say some SB Nation college hockey writers completely disagree with it being a nice write up.  :D

It's to early in the realignment chaos to say they're not one of the better conferences. It's literally been just over a year of hockey.

Here's how I see the B1G:

Minnesota is one of the best teams in the country, whether you want to admit it or not. They've played the #1 SOS thus far according to RPI and have had decent results. For comparison, UND's SOS is currently #18. 2 of Minnesota's 3 losses are to a pretty damn good UMD team. Injuries to Skjei and Boyd have hurt them and they'll need them healthy at the end of the year.

"Minnesota needed overtime to beat SCSU at home."  Yes, and UND needed OT and a horseshoe up their arse to beat AF at home. This wasn't meant to ruffle feathers, when I was talking to the SB Nation writers they just said part of the reason that article was so bad is because it made exactly zero points, and that was an example. It was 100% opinionated on how the writer feels about the B1G conference.

Michigan - I think it's gotten to the point where there needs to be a coaching change. They have talent, but Red can't put it together anymore. It's time they move on from him. 

Wisconsin - If you expected much more out of Wisconsin this year you don't know what they lost from last year. They lost over 200 points from last years team. I don't care what team you are, that's a lot of points to lose. If you expected them to be competitive most nights you're crazy. This was bound to be a bad year far before it ever began. They'll be relying on Rumple to steal them some games.

Penn State seems like they're good enough to make some noise this year. Last Saturday at Michigan just shows that they're still a young program that will have hiccups and also that Michigan does have the ability to play good hockey.

Ohio State and MSU are just kind of meh to me. They're average NCAA hockey teams. 

Flat out, the conference needs more teams. With 6 teams they're going to be very up and down. There are years where they might be one of the best and there are years where they might not be. Remember, going into the last weekend last year there was a possibility of them getting 4 of their 6 teams in the NCAA tournament and it took Wisconsin beating Ohio State and knocking them out to get UND into the tournament in the first place.

To put it nicely, let's just say some SB Nation college hockey writers completely disagree with it being a nice write up. :D

It's to early in the realignment chaos to say they're not one of the better conferences. It's literally been just over a year of hockey.

Minnesota is one of the best teams in the country, whether you want to admit it or not. They've played the #1 SOS thus far according to RPI and have had decent results. For comparison, UND's SOS is currently #18. 2 of Minnesota's 3 losses are to a pretty damn good UMD team. Injuries to Skjei and Boyd have hurt them and they'll need them healthy at the end of the year.

"Minnesota needed overtime to beat SCSU at home." Yes, and UND needed OT and a horseshoe up their arse to beat AF at home. This wasn't meant to ruffle feathers, when I was talking to the SB Nation writers they just said part of the reason that article was so bad is because it made exactly zero points, and that was an example. It was 100% opinionated on how the writer feels about the B1G conference.

Michigan - I think it's gotten to the point where there needs to be a coaching change. They have talent, but Red can't put it together anymore. It's time they move on from him.

Wisconsin - If you expected much more out of Wisconsin this year you don't know what they lost from last year. They lost over 200 points from last years team. I don't care what team you are, that's a lot of points to lose. If you expected them to be competitive most nights you're crazy. This was bound to be a bad year far before it ever began. They'll be relying on Rumple to steal them some games.

Penn State seems like they're good enough to make some noise this year. Last Saturday at Michigan just shows that they're still a young program that will have hiccups and also that Michigan does have the ability to play good hockey.

Ohio State and MSU are just kind of meh to me. They're average NCAA hockey teams.

Flat out, the conference needs more teams. With 6 teams they're going to be very up and down. There are years where they might be one of the best and there are years where they might not be. Remember, going into the last weekend last year there was a possibility of them getting 4 of their 6 teams in the NCAA tournament and it took Wisconsin beating Ohio State and knocking them out to get UND into the tournament in the first place.

There may be years they might be the best and there are years they might not be. So far this year it appears they may be one of the worst.

To put it nicely, let's just say some SB Nation college hockey writers completely disagree with it being a nice write up. :D

"Minnesota needed overtime to beat SCSU at home." Yes, and UND needed OT and a horseshoe up their arse to beat AF at home. This wasn't meant to ruffle feathers, when I was talking to the SB Nation writers they just said part of the reason that article was so bad is because it made exactly zero points, and that was an example. It was 100% opinionated on how the writer feels about the B1G conference.

Yeah you could see Wisconsin struggling, but 0-8? No way you saw that coming.

I'm no fan of the B1G, but in all seriousness we are only a year and a half into this whole realignment. Tough to draw any conclusions until we get a few more years in.

I just think that there aren't enough schools in the B1G that put a premium on hockey.  Minnesota does; it's their best sport for both men and women.  Wisconsin has a loyal fan base, but most people in Madison seem to care way more about FB and MBB.  Michigan is a FB school first and MBB school second, same for Ohio State.  Michigan State seems to be MBB 1st and FB 2nd.  Penn State is just starting their program and MH might catch on as a popular winter sport whenever FB is not playing, but we'll just have to wait and see.

In order for the current incarnation of the B1G to be solid year in and year out, at least 3 of their 6 teams will have to be good on a perennial basis.  My thinking is that hockey doesn't rank high enough on the food chain at 4 out of the 6 schools (Minnesota and Wisconsin being the exceptions).  We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I just think that there aren't enough schools in the B1G that put a premium on hockey.  Minnesota does; it's their best sport for both men and women.  Wisconsin has a loyal fan base, but most people in Madison seem to care way more about FB and MBB.  Michigan is a FB school first and MBB school second, same for Ohio State.  Michigan State seems to be MBB 1st and FB 2nd.  Penn State is just starting their program and MH might catch on as a popular winter sport whenever FB is not playing, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Given how bad the men's basketball team is at Penn State, I'd say that men's hockey could become the #1 winter sport in Happy Valley quite easily.

There may be years they might be the best and there are years they might not be. So far this year it appears they may be one of the worst.

I agree with it this year. I even made a joke a couple weeks ago. I said Minnesota has to go undefeated in conference play because the rest of the conference is so bad they'll drop out of NCAA tournament contention with a loss  :lol:

In order for the current incarnation of the B1G to be solid year in and year out, at least 3 of their 6 teams will have to be good on a perennial basis.  My thinking is that hockey doesn't rank high enough on the food chain at 4 out of the 6 schools (Minnesota and Wisconsin being the exceptions).  We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

As a Gopher fan for all sports I can tell you straight up, that even at Minnesota, hockey is far behind football and basketball in popularity. So that should give you a grasp on how little hockey is to some of the other B1G schools. Like MafiaMan said, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see it be the most popular sport at PSU because their basketball team is historically bottom of the B1G, and from what it seems as of right now hockey very well could be more popular.

Given how bad the men's basketball team is at Penn State, I'd say that men's hockey could become the #1 winter sport in Happy Valley quite easily.

It was nice of the B1G to add Rutgers to give PSU a buddy in basketball  :whistling: