SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

Half the conference is a pretty good batting average.  The B1G will get two at the most (probably just Minnesota).

That is a very good batting average. It's nice to see the NCHC's non-conference record is much better this year than last year. Really has quieted the critics. As for the BI6 conference, given their record so far I bet they'll have one or two teams in the tournament. 

And students haven't even been showing up for football games in one of their best teams in recent years at minnesota.

I go the the u and this is just sad. They don't do anything to incentivize the students to stay at the game. The games are just way too long to keep a buzz going and $9 beers isn't going to cut it. Much easier to just watch at home and just as exciting to watch at the bar

And students haven't even been showing up for football games for their best team in 50 years at minnesota.

They did better this year, and I do believe it'll get better now that they had a really good year. Doesn't help that Minnesota was relegated to 11am games all damn year. College students don't like to get up that early, let alone get up early enough to drink and get to the game. Most of them wake up later and just drink while watching the game at home or the bar.

Very interesting article and breakdown of Wisconsin's horrible start.  Lots of stats looking at the Saturday game against North Dakota, as well as a comparison of Eaves to other similar coaches (including Hakstol) towards the bottom.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2014/11/28/7274049/wisconsin-hockey-mike-eaves

And people want to fire Haksol, Eaves wouldn't last a season at UND. Eaves' buyout will keep him in Wisconsin for a while.

Alvarez doesn't give 2 craps if the hockey team sucks. In fact I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he's happy to see the hockey team suck so that even more people will gravitate towards football and basketball. Those are the only 2 teams that he cares about.

Alvarez doesn't give 2 craps if the hockey team sucks. In fact I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he's happy to see the hockey team suck so that even more people will gravitate towards football and basketball. Those are the only 2 teams that he cares about.

Wasn't Alvarez the one who was complaining when Wisco was in the WCHA that he didn't like playing BSU, Mankato, etc because they were D-2 teams in other sports?

I thought I heard/read that somewhere and didn't he also said that he was excited for the Big 10 hockey conference?

Wasn't Alvarez the one who was complaining when Wisco was in the WCHA that he didn't like playing BSU, Mankato, etc because they were D-2 teams in other sports?

I thought I heard/read that somewhere and didn't he also said that he was excited for the Big 10 hockey conference?

Alvarez was a big-time cheerleader for the B1G Hockey Conference.  Minnesota, on the other hand, hated the idea and probably still does.  One of the few times I will ever side with Minnesota vs. anybody else.

That doesn't sound like Alvarez.  He just isn't engaged enough in hockey to make that kind of statement unless it was a blanket statement about all sports.    

Unless you're a hockey fan at Wisconsin, I suppose you have to feel good about how things have gone under Alvarez.  He brought football back to prominence as a coach, and the BB has been very good during his tenure as AD.   The hockey, though . . . .  And that's a shame. 

I'm sure he did say it because he's a B1G guy, but that doesn't mean he cares about the hockey team. He can't flat out say he doesn't like it. It's pretty obvious that hockey isn't of much concern to him. He cut a lot of non-revenue sports when he became AD to funnel more money to football and basketball, and if the hockey team sucks I'm sure he can make a case to spend less money on it and put that money in the 2 big sports instead.

To his credit though, look how good they are in those 2 sports. Consistent contender in football and had a Final Four appearance in bball last year and are figured to be title contenders this year.