SiouxSports.com Forum

SJSU Preview

UNDColorado

This game may be closer than some people think.

Huh, some people are expecting a blowout?    I'm thinking that we will probably lose by 7 or less and maybe with a couple of breaks pull off the win.   No way should this be a huge loss for us and I'm going to be pissed if we lose by more than 10.   SJSU isn't a real powerhouse and we had better be able to stick with them.    If we should get run off the field then we need to regroup immediately or it's going to be a long, long season.

San Jose State has plenty of youth on their squad, including a first time starting QB, a young o-line, and their leading rusher from last year is suspended. And to top it off, I think UND's best unit this season will definitely be their defense due to the coaching emphasis and talent (Carrothers, Hinojosa, Ratelle, Tillman, Reyes, etc.).

I expect a win or a close game; nothing else. Remember, no more Mussman; there's an actual leader in charge now in Bubba.

Go UND!

• Upvote 1

Huh, some people are expecting a blowout? I'm thinking that we will probably lose by 7 or less and maybe with a couple of breaks pull off the win. No way should this be a huge loss for us and I'm going to be pissed if we lose by more than 10. SJSU isn't a real powerhouse and we had better be able to stick with them. If we should get run off the field then we need to regroup immediately or it's going to be a long, long season.

UND aren't 23 point underdogs for the heck of it.

i thought maybe tt, fsu, and sdsu might be blowouts yet the only fbs game taht wasn't close was idaho???

who knows what the result will be but if we have the ball down a td with two minutes to go and we punt i will blow up my tv.

How the hell does that work? We play tough against a Texas Tech team from the Big 12 but get destroyed by WAC member Idaho. Hopefully Bubba can get us an FBS win and confidence back in this program that has been lost since 2007.

How the hell does that work? We play tough against a Texas Tech team from the Big 12 but get destroyed by WAC member Idaho. Hopefully Bubba can get us an FBS win and confidence back in this program that has been lost since 2007.

We'll play tough and compete right to the end. With that effort, I'm sure the San Jose State game will be relatively close. Hopefully in a close game, we end up on top. 

Huh, some people are expecting a blowout?    I'm thinking that we will probably lose by 7 or less and maybe with a couple of breaks pull off the win.   No way should this be a huge loss for us and I'm going to be pissed if we lose by more than 10.   SJSU isn't a real powerhouse and we had better be able to stick with them.    If we should get run off the field then we need to regroup immediately or it's going to be a long, long season.

I hope many aren't pissed if we lose by more than 10.  We were 3-8 last year, have tons of new players this year (still learning Bubba's system, etc.) and playing our first game against an FBS opponent on the road

I am a believer!  Bubba will turn things around for us but no one should be too upset if we lose by 15-20 points - AS LONG AS we play disciplined and passionate football!

Also remember, we are playing an FBS team on the road. If we at least play them tough (especially if we win or lose by single digits), then there's a legitimate chance we win the next 3 and start 3-1.

Point is, have faith in the leadership and philosophy of Bubba. Let's not celebrate or panic til we see the product on the field.

Idaho was a horrible matchup for us. They could pass really well and we couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Mussman screwed that game up. Idaho went 2-10 that season and yet we got blown out.

The defense self-destructed and the offense couldn't produce.

Are you talking the first or second one? The second one I agree about screwing it up. As evidence by Fresno St. The first one we weren't good and our secondary was hapless.

Just listened to the Monday press conference; featured MLB Will Ratelle and Bubba.

Both Ratelle and Bubba emphasized increased discipline from the beginning of fall camp to now. Ratelle even went as far as to say that from last year to this year, the defense is more disciplined and runs to the ball better (gang tackling will greatly improve run defense).

Bubba said the team has greatly improved in the penalty department since the beginning of camp, as well.

I expect the team to be ready and produce a close game on Thursday; both Bubba and Ratelle seemed confident, but yet unsure what the team will ultimately look like come Thursday. It was reassuring in my mind to hear Bubba say that the coaching staff is ready to make adjustments come game time; that in itself is an improvement from Mussman. I'm not sure Mussman and his staff were regularly prepared for the chess match that occurs between football coaches on gameday. 

The unknown factor is very suspenseful but yet exciting at the same time! Go UND!

To be noted, the following players will be making their first college start for San Jose State on Thursday:

QB Blake Jurich, Sr.

LG Jeremiah Kolone, Fr.

RG Nate Velichko, Fr.

RT Evan Sarver, So.

RB Thomas Tucker, So.

DE Adrian Blake, Sr.

LB William Ossai, Fr.

SS Akeem King, 5th yr Sr.

P Michael Carrizosa, Fr.

What this tells me is that San Jose State's offensive line will be young and inexperienced; that should certainly help out UND's defense. Also, San Jose State's defense will have a few new faces on a unit that was not very good last year (35.1 ppg allowed in 2013; 105th in FBS). Lastly, UND will not be the only team in the game relying on a freshman punter.

GO UND!!

• Upvote 2

Really looking forward to seeing how the team performs.  I have a feeling the offense will not be able to run the ball much (I really don't trust the right side of the line) and will have to rely on the short passing game to move the chains.  Would love to be proven wrong on the running game, but I don't see it.  Defensively, we have so many new starters and contributors that it will be interesting to see how everyone gels and if we can put together a solid effort.  By all indications the defense is miles ahead of where we were last year and playing quite agressive.  I really wish we were a little deeper on the d-line for the first couple games, but maybe some of the people pushed into some playing time will surprise.  Like everyone else, I really want to see us be competitive and cut down on stupid penalties.  And please, please, please no cocking off after giving up a 12 yard reception for a first down.

To be noted, the following players will be making their first college start for San Jose State on Thursday:

QB Blake Jurich, Sr.

LG Jeremiah Kolone, Fr.

RG Nate Velichko, Fr.

RT Evan Sarver, So.

RB Thomas Tucker, So.

DE Adrian Blake, Sr.

LB William Ossai, Fr.

SS Akeem King, 5th yr Sr.

P Michael Carrizosa, Fr.

What this tells me is that San Jose State's offensive line will be young and inexperienced; that should certainly help out UND's defense. Also, San Jose State's defense will have a few new faces on a unit that was not very good last year (35.1 ppg allowed in 2013; 105th in FBS). Lastly, UND will not be the only team in the game relying on a freshman punter.

GO UND!!

With almost half their starters first time starters UND should take advantage to that. They see us and they see 3-8 and FCS, they don't care if we have players that are good or not, thats how FCS teams catch FBS teams off-guard. I think this game will be like the Fresno State game where it comes down to the wire in the 4th quarter. But hopefully UND this time comes out on top, if not at least be competitive, no Idaho scores.

With almost half their starters first time starters UND should take advantage to that. They see us and they see 3-8 and FCS, they don't care if we have players that are good or not, thats how FCS teams catch FBS teams off-guard. I think this game will be like the Fresno State game where it comes down to the wire in the 4th quarter. But hopefully UND this time comes out on top, if not at least be competitive, no Idaho scores.

Pat Hill, the Fresno coach at the time when we played them will be the color commentator for the game Thursday. I am interested to hear his thoughts on UND after the close call they had against us.

• Upvote 1

I have no idea what to expect in this game, and really, no one else should either.

There will be 5, maybe even 6 or 7, true freshmen getting significant playing time in their first ever college football game. 

Potentially, we could surprise SJSU and keep it close, maybe even pull off the upset.

On the other hand, and probably more likely, UND's youth and inexperience could lead to a real tough lopsided game. 

All and all, no way to know until the game is played. With that said, I like the confidence of UND's team and of course the leadership/philosophy of Bubba and staff going into the game. 

SJSU might be a good match up for you guys to start the season and Bubba era--not like they have a long, sustained winning history. Plus, looks like they are searching for an identity too (no smack intended)-->klick it-->http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_26393494/san-jose-state-football-seeks-consistency