SiouxSports.com Forum

SJSU Preview

UNDColorado

SJSU might be a good match up for you guys to start the season and Bubba era--not like they have a long, sustained winning history. Plus, looks like they are searching for an identity too (no smack intended)-->klick it-->http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_26393494/san-jose-state-football-seeks-consistency

Thanks for the link. I think you are right, they have a lot of new guys too so hopefully it will be a competitive game.

Really looking forward to seeing how the team performs. I have a feeling the offense will not be able to run the ball much (I really don't trust the right side of the line) and will have to rely on the short passing game to move the chains. Would love to be proven wrong on the running game, but I don't see it. Defensively, we have so many new starters and contributors that it will be interesting to see how everyone gels and if we can put together a solid effort. By all indications the defense is miles ahead of where we were last year and playing quite agressive. I really wish we were a little deeper on the d-line for the first couple games, but maybe some of the people pushed into some playing time will surprise. Like everyone else, I really want to see us be competitive and cut down on stupid penalties. And please, please, please no cocking off after giving up a 12 yard reception for a first down.

Although the right side of the line is a bit shaky, the left side of Devin Barton and Brandon Anderson is more than capable. With that, I expect UND to have at least moderate success running the ball. UND has to or else it will be hard to have success offensively. Plus, no reason San Jose State should give our offensive line too many fits; their defensive line is more of a pass rushing line than run stopping line, IMO.

I say SJSU by 5. But i would sure love to be wrong on who wins.

UND lost by an average margin of 22 PPG last year...all against FCS teams.  This is vs. a FBS team and is being played on the road ...albeit not a good FBS team. If UND keeps this within 14 I'd be surprised.  This team will get much better as the year goes along but not going to drink the Kool-Aid just yet.

UND lost by an average margin of 22 PPG last year...all against FCS teams. This is vs. a FBS team and is being played on the road ...albeit not a good FBS team. If UND keeps this within 14 I'd be surprised. This team will get much better as the year goes along but not going to drink the Kool-Aid just yet.

San Jose State shut out Sacramento State 24-0 in last year's home opener...Sac State rolled UND in GF 31-7 several weeks later...I guess we'll find out if progress has been made soon...

UND lost by an average margin of 22 PPG last year...all against FCS teams.  This is vs. a FBS team and is being played on the road ...albeit not a good FBS team. If UND keeps this within 14 I'd be surprised.  This team will get much better as the year goes along but not going to drink the Kool-Aid just yet.

Thats last year Muss's team, this is Bubba's team. Plus Muss's team with its horrible defense almost beat SDSU, Fresno St, and NIU. Only Idaho and TT has beaten UND by more than 8 points.

Thats last year Muss's team, this is Bubba's team. Plus Muss's team with its horrible defense almost beat SDSU, Fresno St, and NIU. Only Idaho and TT has beaten UND by more than 8 points.

You still just charging fifty cents a cup at the end of your driveway...if so I'm on my way!

I am excited to see what UND has.  I don't respect SJSU at all, they are a sub-par, watered down FBS team (that should actually be in FCS).   But, I didn't respect Idaho and look what they did to a Muss led team...twice!

In Bubba we trust?

SJSU has a ton on unknowns as well.  New QB and OL.  Both staffs are going to be seeing what the other has to offer in the first quarter.  

I'm absolutely jacked for this game. The homer in me likes what we have in common, a lot of new faces. In our case, it's reason for excitement. For them, it's not having David Fales. I'm looking for an Tillman  pick, big sack, forced fumble, etc... something of that ilk to get me perked up and say "Soooo you're saying there's a chance." This isn't an impossible game, even with what little we know. This team was .500 with a preposterously good quarterback. I'd feel a lot better if Bubba had another year under his belt going into this, but we have other fish to fry that year.

• Upvote 2

I'm absolutely jacked for this game. The homer in me likes what we have in common, a lot of new faces. In our case, it's reason for excitement. For them, it's not having David Fales. I'm looking for an Tillman  pick, big sack, forced fumble, etc... something of that ilk to get me perked up and say "Soooo you're saying there's a chance." This isn't an impossible game, even with what little we know. This team was .500 with a preposterously good quarterback. I'd feel a lot better if Bubba had another year under his belt going into this, but we have other fish to fry that year.

We are going to have a ton of inexperience out on the field.  Really hope it doesn't hurt us on a few big plays.  I could not imagine being a true freshman and your first game is vs. an FBS team on the road.  Wow.

I live in Bismarck and am going to MPLS for the weekend and would like to stay night in Fargo, but will any of the Fargo bars show the UND football game? I have no problem wearing my Sioux football jersey in Fargo!

Do the internet providers in Fargo even get the channel?

Cable one has ESPN 3

I am excited to see what UND has. I don't respect SJSU at all, they are a sub-par, watered down FBS team (that should actually be in FCS). But, I didn't respect Idaho and look what they did to a Muss led team...twice

That "sub-par, watered down FBS team (that should actually be in FCS)" came within 3 points of knocking off Stanford (at Stanford Stadium) in the season opener just two years ago. SJSU went on to an 11-2 season...Stanford finished 12-2 and was the Pac-12 and Rose Bowl champion that year.

They will also be missing their projected starter at running back. I believe an un-tested sophomore is starting. We are essentially in the same boat here. Really looking forward to seeing us compete! 

That "sub-par, watered down FBS team (that should actually be in FCS)" came within 3 points of knocking off Stanford (at Stanford Stadium) in the season opener just two years ago. SJSU went on to an 11-2 season...Stanford finished 12-2 and was the Pac-12 and Rose Bowl champion that year.

That was in 2012. Last years squad went 6-6 and had a horrid defense. On top of that, they lost their quarterback and 3 offensive linemen.

Tomorrow, they will be starting 2 freshmen offensive guards and their quarterback will make his first start. Plus, I doubt their defense will be a strength after one offseason.

No one can predict this game, other than it will be closer than the line has it, IMO.

I'm certainly hoping for a UND win, but if they lose in a competitive game, then it will still likely mean UND can exceed expectations this season and go 0.500.

That was in 2012. Last years squad went 6-6 and had a horrid defense. On top of that, they lost their quarterback and 3 offensive linemen.

Tomorrow, they will be starting 2 freshmen offensive guards and their quarterback will make his first start. Plus, I doubt their defense will be a strength after one offseason.

No one can predict this game, other than it will be closer than the line has it, IMO.

I'm certainly hoping for a UND win, but if they lose in a competitive game, then it will still likely mean UND can exceed expectations this season and go 0.500.

And last year's squad smoked a Sac State team that came to GF and hammered UND...and, yes, they gave up 52 points to conference champion Fresno State in the season finale, but put 62 of their own on the board.

Everything can change from season to season, though...I guess we'll find out tomorrow night...