SiouxSports.com Forum

SJSU Preview

UNDColorado

You have high expectations on this team?? This is a rebuilding team with a new coaching staff. Muss had this team in a deep hole and it's Bubba's job to get us out of the hole and back on solid ground, Bubba is not a miracle worker and it's not going to be done overnight. Muss had us expecting positive things last year which upped the expectations only to have them crushed every Saturday. If UND gets blown out (ex. Idaho) you try to fix what is broken, but if you win it's against the FBS, and you gain confidence not only in the players but in fans and that will show with attendance. Playing Valpo last year didn't prove anything, playing Drake before that didn't prove anything. Play the FBS and see where you stand against the top level of football.

No I do not.

High expectations for the program.

I was pretty clear in outlining the problems the 2014 team is facing.

Enough with the political correctness already.

No one should get upset or discouraged if UND doesn't win or gets blown out in week 1; however, UND has talent and should go into the game with the goal of winning. And because I support UND athletics, I'd rather go into week 1 assessing reasons why UND could win rather than reasons why they could lose.

I'm hoping for UND's first FBS win now that UND is being led by a competent coach in Bubba Schweigert.

I honestly feel we are in line to expect this team to go 6-6 with no blowouts. We need to hang with SDSU simply because they aren't a top dog team.

All I can say is I am sure glad that Fales and that WR Nunn are gone. The big threats that I can see on offense, as far as returning starters, are Winston (WR), Tucker (RB) and possibly that big Lawson guy at running back. They like to throw a lot to their running backs and use them effectively as check down receivers who give them lots of YAC.

On defense it appears that their D line and secondary will be made up of veteran starters, however, their linebackers are relatively greener. Looks like they run a 4-3 defense.

We compare favorably to them size-wise at most positions on D and O, though I am the first to admit that that size doesn't tell you squat about one's athleticism.

5 weeks from today this should be an interesting thread after the San Jose game.

After the game we can see where this team is at, and even compare the good/bad to last year's team. I hope to see a lot of improvement on 2 counts, defense, and rushing.

I'm giving them 3 games. 1 FBS 1 lower level FCS and one very solid FCS. Also game three is where the excuses of new system and players should be out the window.

You do know that Missouri State is game three right? They haven't won more than 6 games since 1996. Not exactly solid, but the rest of your post is spot on.

You do know that Missouri State is game three right? They haven't won more than 6 games since 1996. Not exactly solid, but the rest of your post is spot on.

They've been getting better the last couple years and were a solid team last year. I'm not concerned with their record from the 90s and 2000s we play them this year and they won't be that bad at all.

They've been getting better the last couple years and were a solid team last year. I'm not concerned with their record from the 90s and 2000s we play them this year and they won't be that bad at all.

They are known for being tough at home so I will give them that, of course we are nowhere close to solid until we start proving ourselves.

They are known for being tough at home so I will give them that, of course we are nowhere close to solid until we start proving ourselves.

Also look at the scores from last year. They won 4 of their last 5 and only lost to Northern Iowa by 7. They also went to Southern Illinois and whooped them.

They will be solid. They have a three year starter back at QB who is athletic and some weapons around him on offense. They put up points on some good defenses last year and going off last year, our defense didn't stop anyone.

They will be solid. They have a three year starter back at QB who is athletic and some weapons around him on offense. They put up points on some good defenses last year and going off last year, our defense didn't stop anyone.

But thats last year, and hopefully our defense won't be at pee-wee level like last year. Like I said we aren't solid either until we prove ourselves.

But thats last year, and hopefully our defense won't be at pee-wee level like last year. Like I said we aren't solid either until we prove ourselves.

So you posted about them not being solid and cited their wins since the 90s. But then followed up a post with the sentence "But that's last year."

Makes a lot of sense...

• Upvote 3

At this point I think we ought to just focus on game one against SJSU. We really have no clue what kind of team we will have and in the past I have been overly optimistic so I am kind of tempering that until we can see what we are working with.

The have a new coach just like us and thankfully Fales has graduated....we would be in a lot of trouble if he was still running their offense. Hopefully we can make a game of it and build from there.

Except Bubba had much better players to work with at SIU. Not exactly starting from scratch at UND, but not far from it.

Can we stop with this "scratch" talk? Half of the potential starters for 2014 weren't even on the team in 2013, so it's impossible to know what kind of team UND will have in 2014 until the games are being played.

• Upvote 1

Can we stop with this "scratch" talk? Half of the potential starters for 2014 weren't even on the team in 2013, so it's impossible to know what kind of team UND will have in 2014 until the games are being played.

You're pretty much making my point. They are starting over, from "scratch", with all new ingredients.

If the coaches liked what they had, they would not be bringing in all these players. Which means they are hitting the reset button.