SiouxSports.com Forum

SJSU Preview

UNDColorado

This is good for us.

I agree. But it can also be a fake too. They will run the first play then boom its an all out air attack. I wouldn't put anything past them. Of course they think it will be a blowout, look at our record last year, thats all they know (or care) about. Line is SJSU by 23, Last 2 FBS games (both in California) margin of victory is 6 1/2 points.  I don't think this will be a blowout especially if our defense has greatly improved since last year. Loss to SDSU by 8 and FSU by 5 with a Muss led team. Let's just say I cannot wait for next Thursday. 

I have no idea what to expect in this game, and really, no one else should either.

There will be 5, maybe even 6 or 7, true freshmen getting significant playing time in their first ever college football game. 

Potentially, we could surprise SJSU and keep it close, maybe even pull off the upset.

On the other hand, and probably more likely, UND's youth and inexperience could lead to a real tough lopsided game. 

All and all, no way to know until the game is played. With that said, I like the confidence of UND's team and of course the leadership/philosophy of Bubba and staff going into the game. 

I have no idea what to expect in this game, and really, no one else should either.

There will be 5, maybe even 6 or 7, true freshmen getting significant playing time in their first ever college football game. 

Potentially, we could surprise SJSU and keep it close, maybe even pull off the upset.

On the other hand, and probably more likely, UND's youth and inexperience could lead to a real tough lopsided game. 

All and all, no way to know until the game is played. With that said, I like the confidence of UND's team and of course the leadership/philosophy of Bubba and staff going into the game. 

Pretty accurate. 

This is a cliche, but I'm not concerned with SJSU at all.  My interest only lies in how UND handles their business, and I'm talking about the self-discipline stuff.  How many penalties?  How many turnovers?  Do we punt/cover kicks well (I'm serious about that).  They will need to play a disciplined field position game and that means effectively punting and covering.  How many explosive plays do they give up?

SJSU will probably still win the game even if UND plays well in these phases, but I know if UND doesn't play well in these phases it will get ugly.  More importantly, if they don't look disciplined, they are farther away from "bubba ball" than we hope they are coming out of fall camp.

• Upvote 1

This is a cliche, but I'm not concerned with SJSU at all.  My interest only lies in how UND handles their business, and I'm talking about the self-discipline stuff.  How many penalties?  How many turnovers?  Do we punt/cover kicks well (I'm serious about that).  They will need to play a disciplined field position game and that means effectively punting and covering.  How many explosive plays do they give up?

SJSU will probably still win the game even if UND plays well in these phases, but I know if UND doesn't play well in these phases it will get ugly.  More importantly, if they don't look disciplined, they are farther away from "bubba ball" than we hope they are coming out of fall camp.

It won't be for lack of trying on the coaches' part.  I was at last Saturday's practice, and I could have sworn I was back in basic training again as I watched the team work out. They probably did more "Up-Downs" than anything else that day. Every little ticky tack mistake and you could hear Rudolph say to Kostich "Get'em going," and with that Kostich would blow his whistle for a series of Up-Downs ....over and over and over and over again. Also, Rudolph yanked a fullback for not paying attention.

Then on the defensive side, when things started getting lackluster, Schmidt summoned all D to midfield and gave them a profanity-laced tongue lashing like none I'd seen in a long time, challenging them to "be football players."

Outside of Coach Kotelnicki, I did not see this kind of emotion-fueled and discipline-instilled coaching the last three years at Memorial.

• Upvote 4

Anyone heading to San Jose for the game?

We will be going to cheer on UND. Looking to finalize travel plans this week.

Any other UND fans going to San Jose for 2014 game #1?  Our travel plans are finalized--leaving Wednesday & returning Monday.  GO UND!

Mollberg named starter at QB  for UND, per Tom Miller of the Herald.

Don't think its a huge surprise but glad its been announced.  Want the starter to take the majority of the reps with the first team for game week.  Hopefully he embraces it and runs with it.  Guessing there will be less musical quarterbacks this year, hopefully it gives whoever is in there some confidence and erases the though of constantly looking over their shoulder.

• Upvote 1

Mollberg named starter at QB  for UND, per Tom Miller of the Herald.

As expected...

Good chance there will be designed QB runs in Rudolph's offense; that fits Mollberg better than Bartels. 

Hope we can establish the run this season - that will make Mollberg's job easier and the offense's production satisfactory. 

7 days before the first game.  Excited.  Now we know the depth chart.  Interesting, Bubba is in charge and this group will play with heart.

Very good point - the depth chart may have some surprises, but that's because the players that will play are the BEST for the TEAM.

They may not be the most talented, but they have work ethic and a desire to win. In the long run, that's more necessary for winning football than just pure talent. 

• Upvote 1