SiouxSports.com Forum

SJSU Preview

UNDColorado

Can we stop with this "scratch" talk? Half of the potential starters for 2014 weren't even on the team in 2013, so it's impossible to know what kind of team UND will have in 2014 until the games are being played.

Two things we can guarantee. The secondary will be much better. So much so that I can hardly wait to watch the SJSU game just to see it. Also there won't be a fr starting qb. Those two things should add up to a win in a similar game to the SDSU game if we find ourselves in one and lack of a blowout against Montana or MSU. Those two facts add up to not starting from scratch.

You're pretty much making my point. They are starting over, from "scratch", with all new ingredients.

If the coaches liked what they had, they would not be bringing in all these players. Which means they are hitting the reset button.

I assume they like who they're brining in though. And they must like the LBs since they only brought in one.

You're pretty much making my point. They are starting over, from "scratch", with all new ingredients.

If the coaches liked what they had, they would not be bringing in all these players. Which means they are hitting the reset button.

It just seemed that you were considering the talent on this team to be very lacking, but that's not necessarily true. Last years freshmen class has talented players, the transfers are unknowns, and the QBs both are more experienced. All in all, the coaching staff may have a decent amount of talent to work with.

And your last comment isn't necessarily true; depth is key.

Two things we can guarantee. The secondary will be much better. So much so that I can hardly wait to watch the SJSU game just to see it. Also there won't be a fr starting qb. Those two things should add up to a win in a similar game to the SDSU game if we find ourselves in one and lack of a blowout against Montana or MSU. Those two facts add up to not starting from scratch.

I think at most positions you could almoste assume a net gain. Not so much at the receiver postion tho. jmho

I think at most positions you could almoste assume a net gain. Not so much at the receiver postion tho. jmho

I'll definitely take an improvement in most positions if it means detracting from one position. Football is the ultimate team game.

I agree that the absolute two biggest things expected to improve should be QB play and defensive secondary play. With those two things better, this team has a chance to improve on its 2013 record by a few games.

Also, the running game emphasis will be beneficial.

Seeing the football alumni golf game today include guys like Chris Kuper, Tim Tibesar, and Dave Osborne get me excited for the future of UND football. It just kinda feels like the early 2000s when support was at a high - Bubba deserves a lot of credit for that.

• 2 weeks later...

3 weeks until game time. Looking forward to the start of the season and Bubba ball. Many new faces to shine and bring back excellence.

Seemed so long to get here, now its about to get real. I can't wait to see UND put the smack down on the Spartans.

I'm giving them 3 games. 1 FBS 1 lower level FCS and one very solid FCS. Also game three is where the excuses of new system and players should be out the window.

Agree with the timeline but it makes me wonder how in the wide wide world of sports Muss got such a long leash. I blame him and some of his diehard supporters for what could be a lost decade of Sioux football (not directed at you)

Bubba makes nearly 35K more than Mussman did and the coaching salary pool (including head coach and assistants) went from 7th in the Big Sky to now 4th. The salary pool increase was much needed.

You'll get no argument from me on that.

But that doesn't reflect Bubba's market value.

You'll get no argument from me on that.

But that doesn't reflect Bubba's market value.

Bubba had success at DII UND, just like Mussman; but unlike Mussman, Bubba has prior head coaching experience and prior FCS coaching experience. Those experiences all make Bubba a more valuable coach than Mussman in terms of financial worth, IMO.

What do you base Bubbas "market value" on?

Market value is whatever someone is willing to pay.

I wasn't taking a shot at bubba. My original point was that it wasn't expensive to get Bubba here.

My second point was the fact Bubba was paid comparatively more than Muss didn't necessarily make Bubba expensive. The athletic department is simply getting closer to market scale.

http://www.sjsuspart.../080914aaa.html

San José State University's first preseason football scrimmage gave everyone a sense of accomplishment.

The offense ran the ball effectively in the first half. The defense unleashed its pass rush and came up with six quarterback sacks after halftime. And, kicker Austin Lopezconnected on his two field goals attempts of 34 and 25 yards with plenty of distance to spare.

All five quarterbacks saw action with Blake Jurich opening the scrimmage. The fifth-year senior was 8-of-18 for 118 yards and completed the day's longest gain, a 40-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Hansell Wilsonin the second half.

Senior Alvin Jelks was the leading rusher with seven carries for 37 yards. Tyler Winston and tight end Andrew Vollerteach caught three passes.

Defensive end Sean Baconled the pass rush with three quarterback sacks.

Coach Caragher has 17 returning starters and 44 letterwinners from the 2013 team.

http://www.sjsuspart.../073014aaa.html

What are the tv options for this game?

There are no tv options for this game. The game is being "broadcast" on ESPN3 which is internet only if you have a subscription to a participating internet provider. A link to participating providers can be found on the "WHAT IS WATCHESPN" tab on the watch ESPN website.

There are no tv options for this game. The game is being "broadcast" on ESPN3 which is internet only if you have a subscription to a participating internet provider. A link to participating providers can be found on the "WHAT IS WATCHESPN" tab on the watch ESPN website.

If you have Midcontinent Cable for your internet you're good for ESPN3.