SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

The way I see it, Fargo Regional would have UND, Lowell, UMD, and Tech...if the season ended today that is...

BU would have to play Robert Morris as the other three #4 seeds would be from Hockey East. That would leave us with Vermont since Lowell would go to Mankato's region. The way I see it, there could be Omaha, Harvard, Michigan, and BC in one region out east. Also 5 teams from both the Hockey East and NCHC and 3 from the WCHA with only one team from each of the other 3 conferences would be in the tourney as of now.

I hear you.  However, I was tracking his tweets Saturday night and he seemed to be a Gopher fan.  Maybe goon knows more.

I just find his comments and constant dig towards to be UND humorous. I  don't dislike him, I have never met him. Although, I do believe I ran into him at the press box at the Frozen Faceoff last year. 

I also found Nate (who I have met a few times and is a nice guy) putting MSU-M first a head scratcher. Especially after MSU lost to BSU. I can see if they had won that tourney. If I am not mistaken, Dilks is a Mav's fan.

I do think he has a grudge towards UND because of the way the NCHC formed.  

Edited by Goon

BU would have to play Robert Morris as the other three #4 seeds would be from Hockey East. That would leave us with Vermont since Lowell would go to Mankato's region. The way I see it, there could be Omaha, Harvard, Michigan, and BC in one region out east. Also 5 teams from both the Hockey East and NCHC and 3 from the WCHA with only one team from each of the other 3 conferences would be in the tourney as of now.

That would be a judgment call, as you could impact 2 brackets or 3.  Meaning, there isnt much difference between Lowell and Vermont, so do you just swap 16 and 14 and leave 15 in its natural place, or do you shuffle all of them

I don't think Chris really hates us. In fact this year he's actually written some pretty positive articles or comments about the team or individuals on it. He does probably get tired of UND fans tweeting him or emailing him or adding comments to his blog posts ripping on him about UND, but that would get tiring for just about anyone.

I saw his comments this morning and wondered whether UND fans would come out and comment. The way I interpreted his comments was like this. First, he was one of just two of their group to pick someone other than UND as number one. Both Chris and Nate Wells went with Mankato, but that's kind of natural. First, they saw Mankato take apart Minnesota this weekend.

I think Chris is also very impressed with Mankato's team this year. I know I am. I saw them play in person a few weeks ago, and they are certainly very good. Too often people who vote in polls tend to just see how the teams did relative to the team above or below them, and rank them that way, rather than put some actual thought in the process. I suspect Chris believes that UND has climbed to the top simply by virtue of 4 consecutive wins (tough to do in the second half of a season) rather than truly being the best team in the country.

I'm not convinced we're best. I think we can be at times, but I have no problem saying there may be one or two teams better right now.

That's great. However I am not convinced Mankato is the best either. I guess that goes either way and we will see.

That's great. However I am not convinced Mankato is the best either. I guess that goes either way and we will see.

I am not either. I watched their games this past weekend, they're a good hockey team. They played a bad Minnesota team and lost to a sub-.500 team. 

I am not either. I watched their games this past weekend, they're a good hockey team. They played a bad Minnesota team and lost to a sub-.500 team. 

I agree that Mankato is good hockey team. And right now I cant say with 100% certainty that UND is better than Mankato. But his argument against voting for UND is who they have played the last two weeks. Tough to argue with that. Although anybody that has watched CC the past two weeks knows they are a MUCH better hockey team then their record shows. 

With that logic how can he say Mankato is the number one team. Other than beating a struggling Gopher team, the Mavs haven't beaten anybody noteworthy since before Thanksgiving.

It sure is fun to talk about though....

I just find his comments and constant dig towards to be UND humorous. I  don't dislike him, I have never met him. Although, I do believe I ran into him at the press box at the Frozen Faceoff last year. 

I also found Nate (who I have met a few times and is a nice guy) putting MSU-M first a head scratcher. Especially after MSU lost to BSU. I can see if they had won that tourney. If I am not mistaken, Dilks is a Mav's fan.

I do think he has a grudge towards UND because of the way the NCHC formed.  

He hasn't thought highly of UND all season. He's in the camp that we didn't belong in the NCAA tournament last year and since most of that team returned that "didn't deserve to be in the tournament" he thought we would struggle to make the tournament again. That's what I read into in seeing his preseason rankings. He's probably struggling with the fact that he as of now has been wrong about how our season has gone.

You can make an argument for quite a few teams to be number 1 right now. UND and Mankato probably have the best arguments and have very similar losses with both losing to Duluth and Bemidji. They also have 2 losses to pretty good teams besides Duluth in Omaha and BGSU and we have 2 losses to good teams in Miami and Denver. Their loss to Alaska is worse than our loss to St. Cloud but if we are just comparing who we have lost to then us and Mankato have basically the same resume. BU and Harvard both have pretty solid seasons going so far as well.

I haven't seen a dominant team yet.  This year's winner will once again be the team that puts together the best back to back 4 team tournaments.  Case in point- what did Bemidji do in a 4 team tourney this past weekend?

Do I think that team could be UND or MSU-M?  Certainly.  Are there others as well?  You bet.  

That would be a judgment call, as you could impact 2 brackets or 3.  Meaning, there isnt much difference between Lowell and Vermont, so do you just swap 16 and 14 and leave 15 in its natural place, or do you shuffle all of them

True. It comes down to what they value more, avoiding first round interconference games or protecting the number one seed. I don't know which is considered priority #1 but either way Fargo would be one heck of a regional.

True. It comes down to what they value more, avoiding first round interconference games or protecting the number one seed. I don't know which is considered priority #1 but either way Fargo would be one heck of a regional.

Im willing to bet that there will be two very solid NCHC teams in that bracket...

No, Lowell would be dropped because Quinnipiac leads the ECAC, so Mankato would get Robert Morris and UND would get Vermont. If Quinnipiac wasn't leading the ECAC and Lowell was in, the selection committee could have two Hockey East teams play each other the first round. That's if they protect the #1 seed which it looks like they have done every year. 

So what are the chances theres an NCHC team in each regional or i spose the NCAA wouldnt let that happen, i'm sure we'd see an all big 10 Frozen Four before an all NCHC one

You could see a NCHC team in each regional this year (as of today) two #1 seeds, two #2 seeds, and a #3 seed. Western Michigan could be a #4 seed by the end of the season.