SiouxSports.com Forum

Start time for home football

Risky

Having games at 5/6 certainly won't help keep students in the building for the 2nd half. It also makes going out for a meal before or after the game more difficult for families. IMO, games should start at 2 or 3.

When UND had awesome crowds in the Alerus in the early 2000's what was the start times then (on average)? Because if the product on the field is good like prior to 2008 then it won't matter the start times.

My least favorite time for games are the 6 or 7 start times without a doubt. After that any time between 1 and 3 I like best. Actually 3 might be my favorite.

I much prefer games starting at 1 or 2, but I can see why they are pushed back to the evening early in the season

When I was a student I was not a fan of 1 PM games. In college we were typically up late the night before and slept in. Then you had to wait for all of the friends to get ready so often times we did not make it to tailgating until noon or later.

IMHO 3 PM games would be a bit more ideal for student attendance. 6 is too late as many students already have plans and will choose their plans over football games.

Edit- This is a perspective based on increasing student attendance.

I have always like games that start at 3pm. Tailgating always seems to be better for those games since it is not so early in the morning. Students have sobbered up enough from the night before and will be less likely to leave at the half to head to the bars. Late games are great, except if you have littel kids and have to get them home to bed by halftime. I am cool with the 1pm games as well. Just as long as they don't do night games. Especially late in the season. Glad to see that they finally got rid of the Thursday game!!

• Upvote 2

We had 7 home games last year. The Thursday night game of course has to be in the evening. The 2 September games had start times at 6 . I imagine the theory is a lot of people are at the lakes . Then we had the next 3 games start at 2:30. The last game started at 1. My biggest and only complaint is I disagree on the start times for the 2 games in September. Even though some lakes people might prefer 6, all in all I think the 2:30 time is by far the best for everyone concerned. The night games just get to late for families. I also kind of like having the evening off after the game too.

I think the rationale behind the 6pm start to games in September is to just allow people to enjoy the remaining warm weather during the afternoon, rather than being inside during the nicest part of a fall day.

SO come on out tailgaiting from 10am-3pm. Grill some brats, drink a cold one, and throw the football around with your kids and firsnds. Can't think of a better way to sepdn a day outside!! :)

It might be my imagination but whenever there is a night game there doesn't seem to be as much energy in the crowd. Particularly in 2nd half. I sense that whether it is a good game or a bad game. It could be because either you are out in the sun all day or tailgating for an extended period of time. It just seems like the enthusiasm seems to taper.

It might be my imagination but whenever there is a night game there doesn't seem to be as much energy in the crowd. Particularly in 2nd half. I sense that whether it is a good game or a bad game. It could be because either you are out in the sun all day or tailgating for an extended period of time. It just seems like the enthusiasm seems to taper.

It couldn't be us getting our butts kicked by the second half could it?