SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

The coaches talked a lot about having their camps, getting a 1st hand look at guys for evaluations.  Example, the D end Engwall was eating everyone up at camp except for 1 guy.........Grady.  Grady stonewalled him every time.  Do we really care if Grady has a star by his name?

Other notes:

Coaches really high on Troy Hanson, up to 220 lbs. at 6'4" at LB

Dulin is growing, all of 6'4" at WR

All were high on the UAB running back as far as skill set and leadership

Lots of good info. on all the players at the event last night but 1 other thing was emphasized with recruiting, relationships and getting guys that are passionate about being part of UND.

I was impressed with how many were multi sport athletes ( hockey, basketball, track, boxing). More than a few times I heard last night that our OL and DL recruits were also playing hockey. Big men on skates. That agility has to translate well on to the football field.

Not to say either will be our QB of the future but, Hartness looks alot better right now than Heidlebaugh at QB. With that being said I think the Rugby kid will play at a different position and do very well. Another kid everyone is talking about is Lawrence out of Moorhead. Atleast which side of the ball he'll end up on. I thought Oliviera was a lock to be a starter his Sophomore year but I think Lawrence can beat him out.

Knauf said he looks for guys that look like him. If he's not looking into their eyes or looking up at them, he won't consider them ( I think he was only half joking). Also said that he was impressed with the explosive hips in ona couple of his OL recruits. Rooney and Mertz come to mind.

The coaches talked a lot about having their camps, getting a 1st hand look at guys for evaluations.  Example, the D end Engwall was eating everyone up at camp except for 1 guy.........Grady.  Grady stonewalled him every time.  Do we really care if Grady has a star by his name?

Other notes:

Coaches really high on Troy Hanson, up to 220 lbs. at 6'4" at LB

Dulin is growing, all of 6'4" at WR

All were high on the UAB running back as far as skill set and leadership

Lots of good info. on all the players at the event last night but 1 other thing was emphasized with recruiting, relationships and getting guys that are passionate about being part of UND.

Very good point I could care less if there is a star by his name or not. Look at the two star players we've had. Some have worked out but really none of them have been superstars.

I was impressed with how many were multi sport athletes ( hockey, basketball, track, boxing). More than a few times I heard last night that our OL and DL recruits were also playing hockey. Big men on skates. That agility has to translate well on to the football field.

A lot of big guys on skates......no surprise with the Canadians.

Schmitty likes his LBs to have high school running back experience.  The inside backer, Rodgers was almost exclusively a running back in high school.

I think Jade sticks at linebacker, too.  Coaches were big on him as well.

A little side chat on a possible RB......Iwarii Smith, depending how he fits at safety.  This kid is really young.....ended up skipping a grade along the way one coach said at the podium.  One of the coaches said he ran something like a 10.7 hundred when he was 15 years old!!!  That's crazy.  He could easily grow into another 20 lbs.

A little side chat on a possible RB......Iwarii Smith, depending how he fits at safety.  This kid is really young.....ended up skipping a grade along the way one coach said at the podium.  One of the coaches said he ran something like a 10.7 hundred when he was 15 years old!!!  That's crazy.  He could easily grow into another 20 lbs.

He just turned 17 within the last month or two.

I was just looking at the state track results from last year, to refresh my memory on Grady and Heidlebaugh. Especially interesting was the discus results:

1. Grady

2. Cieslak

3. Heidlebaugh

Heidlebaugh is not only a very good quarterback and 6'5", but he also is one of the favorites for Mr. Basketball this year, finished in the top 3 at the state meet in the discus, triple jump and long jump (what an unusual combination) AND is fast enough to run a leg on Rugby's 800m relay. In terms of multi-sport athletes in ND this year, I don't think you'll find many better than Grady and Heidlebaugh. 

• Upvote 2

A lot of big guys on skates......no surprise with the Canadians.

Schmitty likes his LBs to have high school running back experience. The inside backer, Rodgers was almost exclusively a running back in high school.

I think Jade sticks at linebacker, too. Coaches were big on him as well.

A little side chat on a possible RB......Iwarii Smith, depending how he fits at safety. This kid is really young.....ended up skipping a grade along the way one coach said at the podium. One of the coaches said he ran something like a 10.7 hundred when he was 15 years old!!! That's crazy. He could easily grow into another 20 lbs.

I'd rather see him at WR if he's on offense. No need to beat him up as a rb. Oliver is already built for that.

I don't know who the team in the blue uniforms are, but it looked like the wanted to get back on the bus before the game was over! The kid is sick. Can't wait to see what he will be like after a year in the program!

Think he will play or redshirt?

Personally?  No clue but the coaches stated last night that every kid should come in like they will be playing this fall.  Guessing with him being that young, having another year to get bigger and faster will only help him but if he can contribute right away, put him on the field.  The only question at that point becomes at what position, thinking he could play a handful of them as a few others have stated.