SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

I can tell you that at least one current commit was pursued by NDSU after committing to UND.  The recruit said "thanks, but no thanks."

I have connections in the Hawley area that have told me that UND coaches have been in contact with Ellefson since he committed to NDSU. I couldn't believe it, Not Bubba!!  Guess what, they ALL do it. Every recruit that has committed to NDSU and have been on the radio with your play by play guy have said the calls still come even after they have committed. That is college football these days. If you are trying to say NDSU coaches do it more than everybody else, you are fooling yourself.

I have connections in the Hawley area that have told me that UND coaches have been in contact with Ellefson since he committed to NDSU. I couldn't believe it, Not Bubba!! Guess what, they ALL do it. Every recruit that has committed to NDSU and have been on the radio with your play by play guy have said the calls still come even after they have committed. That is college football these days. If you are trying to say NDSU coaches do it more than everybody else, you are fooling yourself.

I don't think Mussman did.....but that shouldn't be a surprise considering the results.

• Upvote 2

I have connections in the Hawley area that have told me that UND coaches have been in contact with Ellefson since he committed to NDSU. I couldn't believe it, Not Bubba!! Guess what, they ALL do it. Every recruit that has committed to NDSU and have been on the radio with your play by play guy have said the calls still come even after they have committed. That is college football these days. If you are trying to say NDSU coaches do it more than everybody else, you are fooling yourself.

No surprise but you're missing the point. Clearly the NDSU coaches would never be calling on a UND recruit, the NDSU fans continue to insist that kids like that are well below their staff's standards. Then when it continues to happen, heads go straight into the sand.

No one here is denying that all staffs do it, it's your fan base that continues to deny it despite the facts to the contrary.

No surprise but you're missing the point. Clearly the NDSU coaches would never be calling on a UND recruit, the NDSU fans continue to insist that kids like that are well below their staff's standards. Then when it continues to happen, heads go straight into the sand.

They were courtesy calls. They want to keep a relationship with Davies, they have a good looking d-back that will be a senior next year, That is their real target. 

When I played it was 4 for a home game and 2 for an away game if you were on the traveling squad.  If you needed more there were always other players who weren't using all of their tickets and were happy to let others use them for their family members. 

Thank you for the information......appreciate that......

I don't think NDSU does it more than anyone else... that's not my point. I have no problem with rival coaches contacting verbally committed recruits. I bring it up because NDSU asked an UND commit "how committed are you" and were shot down.

I don't think NDSU does it more than anyone else... that's not my point. I have no problem with rival coaches contacting verbally committed recruits. I bring it up because NDSU asked an UND commit "how committed are you" and were shot down.

It would be nice to know who you are speaking of.

Still can't decide if Bohl took that job thinking it was a stepping stone, or as one final payday before retiring.

Knowing what he thinks of himself, I lean towards stepping stone, but no one can be that Narcissistic, can they?

Could be both. If the stepping stone doesnt work out he will be sitting pretty good for retirement.

In all honesty, I agree with this. Aggressive, and ultimately successful, recruiters stay active on recruits they want right up until signing day. Ever heard of flipping a verbal commit? Happens quite often.

The fact that Bubba is doing this with NDSU commits is actually encouraging; Mussman and his staff did no such thing and that lack of recruiting effort showed.

• Upvote 1

Why wouldn't a coach maintain contact with a recruit right until the day he signs with any team?

With hundreds of players transferring every year, by keeping contact right to the day he signs, he may think of transferring to your school. There are tons of reasons players transfer but most of the time it's assumed it's for a nefarious reason. It could simply be things like proximity to home, a greater chance to play or change in choice of college degree.

Keeping in touch up to signing day is not some tawdry act. I'm also a USC fan, and read about 5 star recruits changing their minds post verbal commitment almost daily.

They were courtesy calls. They want to keep a relationship with Davies, they have a good looking d-back that will be a senior next year, That is their real target. 

So going into the last week of recruiting, with a class that NDSU won a lot of battles on and needs to be protecting their verbals, Hedberg is wasting not only his time but 2 high schools time by going out on "courtesy" calls, basically just leading the kids on?  First the company line was that he hadn't been to Davies now it is that he has been there to see the twins but isn't recruiting them?   Wow, that is some Grade A spin. 

So Hedberg was there ... 

... going out on "courtesy" calls, ... First the company line was that he hadn't been to Davies now it is that he has been there to see the twins but isn't recruiting them?   Wow, that is some Grade A spin. 

Spin? No, no. In the spirit of visiting a defensive back ... that was some good ... backpedaling

You know it had to be said. ;) 

Folks, there is no "gentleman's agreement" in football. Heck, the agreement is gone in DI hockey now. 

Until someone signs an NLI, a verbal isn't worth the paper it's written on*. 

No gentleman's agreement and no NLI == fair game ... in every direction. 

*See what I did there ... a verbal isn't on paper  <-- that's supposed to be humorous. OK ... I'll quit now. ;) 

So going into the last week of recruiting, with a class that NDSU won a lot of battles on and needs to be protecting their verbals, Hedberg is wasting not only his time but 2 high schools time by going out on "courtesy" calls, basically just leading the kids on?  First the company line was that he hadn't been to Davies now it is that he has been there to see the twins but isn't recruiting them?   Wow, that is some Grade A spin. 

You think this dumb a@@ knows what he is talking about?  He has been talking out of his a@@ for months on this board.

Let me try to clear some things up from what I have heard from my son who happens to go to Davies and also played football on the Varsity this year.

First he told me the twins were going to Concordia to play football.  Then a few weeks later it was Northern.  Then at the end of the season he said they told people they both had full rides to SDSU.   Then when the one twin got kicked off the hockey team they said SDSU pulled their scholarships.

Now is any of this true?  I doubt it.  I questioned the SDSU thing as I had never seen/heard of them recruiting these kids.    I have seen these kids play in person about 20 plus times.   Are they good football players?  No doubt!!   Are they Div 1 football players?  Not sure about that..plus they have some issues.     Not going in to those issues but if you have kids at Davies you know what they are. 

I do think the QB has a chance(small) to make it.  The WR would have to get a lot faster to make it.    Add on the fact that neither of them have given much effort in the weight room.  Hopefully that will change in College.

So Hedberg was "junior recruiting" (which he cannot do right now) on the last week of the recruiting season? This is getting good. :0

Here is the dealio: Quit lying, just stop. The Ellefson example was horrible and included such little forethought it is sad. The kid had multiple FCS offers and an FBS offer and you are saying UND is trying to talk to him on January 27th? Sigh. Besides that, UND is in no position to steal a kid from a program that is better than them. They know it and aren't stupid. Especially a player with that many offers. At least give us a realistic example if you are going to lie.

This week is meant for preferred walk-ons and offering more money to kids that may have gotten a partial somewhere else, if you need to fill your class. Which is why NDSU is scrambling to get PWO's from the area. I have no idea why they just started going into Davies last week but they did.

P.S. - You need to stop blindly following everything that Baghdad Bartley says over there. He knows you sheep will believe anything so he goes ahead with it. Just think a little about the situations, common sense.

• Upvote 4

You think this dumb a@@ knows what he is talking about?  He has been talking out of his a@@ for months on this board.

Let me try to clear some things up from what I have heard from my son who happens to go to Davies and also played football on the Varsity this year.

First he told me the twins were going to Concordia to play football.  Then a few weeks later it was Northern.  Then at the end of the season he said they told people they both had full rides to SDSU.   Then when the one twin got kicked off the hockey team they said SDSU pulled their scholarships.

Now is any of this true?  I doubt it.  I questioned the SDSU thing as I had never seen/heard of them recruiting these kids.    I have seen these kids play in person about 20 plus times.   Are they good football players?  No doubt!!   Are they Div 1 football players?  Not sure about that..plus they have some issues.     Not going in to those issues but if you have kids at Davies you know what they are. 

I do think the QB has a chance(small) to make it.  The WR would have to get a lot faster to make it.    Add on the fact that neither of them have given much effort in the weight room.  Hopefully that will change in College.

can you confirm or deny it was weed?  that was the word on the street (or in the car as the case may be).

We continue to hear what a terrible job Mussman did, (and don't call me Mrs.) I guess it's something fans do - heap on blame, and the more time passes the easier is to make !@#$ up, but as has been shared there were much more to the transition struggles than just Mussman.

I'm just wondering if anyone has first-hand knowledge that he (and his staff) did such a poor job of keeping in contact with recruits. It's been pointed out that they brought in some very good talent, but then it's easy to look back and take shots and say they shouldn't have recruited outside the region (when the common thinking back then was at this level recruiting needs to be national), they brought in players of poor character (really have you read the Fargo Police Blotter), they weren't connected to their team, they never visited ND high schools, the list goes on.

He deserves a little better legacy, he was the coordinator for our national championship team, he was given the unenviable job of taking us through transition, he was given no money for staff, so we have to assume his other budgets were thin (recruiting), and it's quite obvious that football is not the first priority of the athletic department. 

If you think I am defending him fine, whatever, and I'm not saying he should still be coach, I'm just saying it's not easy taking a team through DI transition and if you compare UND's transition to 99.9% of other schools that have done it UND was right in the pack, given the resources they were given. 

Bubba is the guy but do we have to build his legacy by beating the Mussman dead horse? 

South Dakota beat Minnesota during their transition, UND lost to Sioux Falls. Any questions.

• Upvote 1