SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

3 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

True, you'll know when NCAA, conference, and school officials begin to discuss and weigh the alternatives publicly. Until then, nothing can happen, and this is no more than a pipe dream.

I won't go that far. They'll talk, quietly, and then roll out what they (P5) want. Seen it before. "It's good to be the king!" 

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I won't go that far. They'll talk, quietly, and then roll out what they (P5) want. Seen it before. "It's good to be the king!" 

I disagree, this involves at least eight major state-level public institutions. There's no way this can happen without due diligence on the part of those institutions. That would require public discussion.

EDIT - to clarify, I'm referring to the Big Sky/WAC to FBS, not the possible desire of the P5 to create more G5 teams and conferences.

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

OK, then I think we're mostly agreeing. The P5 will do what they do how they do it (namely, on their terms). Once that happens comes the open conversation at the schools that would consider moving. 

That's always been the fly in the ointment with SV's theories. Even if Hurd and Fullerton had concocted a deal to move the Big Sky, that deal wouldn't be worth a pitcher of warm spit until enough member schools did their due diligence and agreed to actually move up.

Again, Idaho study makes reference to this:

Threats 
 Outside of NMSU, not getting six additional schools that want to play football in the WAC

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I said this a while back about the UND nickname: You'll know the instant the nickname is a net negative to UND because that's the instant it goes away. 

With that thought in mind: You'll know the instant that more G5 conferences are a benefit to the P5, because that's when it'll happen. At that instant the road blocks will all disappear. 

I find that interesting.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Is that any greater of a threat than the other real and serious issues faced by Idaho and NMSU football?

No, Idaho's butt was already in a sling, so this really wouldn't have been much of a risk to Idaho. I'm just offering the quote as support for the idea that existence of a deal to combine the conferences and then move to FBS would not guarantee the success of that deal. The commissioners would still need at least eight schools to approve the deal, and that wouldn't be easy.

Per Tom Miller (http://millersports.areavoices.com/2016/05/05/idaho-report-brings-fbs-big-sky-discussions-public/) and, ultimately, a consultation report released by the University of Idaho:

It’s also worth monitoring the situation in Illinois, where state budget cuts are making things hairy at Chicago State and Western Illinois. If things go south at Western Illinois, does that trigger discussions of UND realigning with the Dakota schools? It’s a long-range theory (maybe just as crazy as an FBS Big Sky) out there.

So, if Western Illinois drops out of the MVFC, does UND jump at that opportunity? Doubtful due to basketball, volleyball, etc., but still something worth watching. 

I believe UND stays put in the growing Big Sky Conference and looks to do well within the potential it brings; nevertheless, would be great for UND to regularly compete and travel with the local NCC rivals (NDSU, SDSU, USD). 

• Upvote 1

NMSU looks to stay Indy and the Horizon has interest for the Olympic sports.... Say that occurs, Horizon would put them at 11 and would be a significant outlier in the conference. Would they want to stay at 11, who would they grab to get to 12?

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

NMSU looks to stay Indy and the Horizon has interest for the Olympic sports.... Say that occurs, Horizon would put them at 11 and would be a significant outlier in the conference. Would they want to stay at 11, who would they grab to get to 12?

Pure speculation, but perhaps it is part of a plan to get Wichita State to join the Horizon League.

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So, if Western Illinois drops out of the MVFC, does UND jump at that opportunity? Doubtful due to basketball, volleyball, etc., but still something worth watching. 

I believe UND stays put in the growing Big Sky Conference and looks to do well within the potential it brings; nevertheless, would be great for UND to regularly compete and travel with the local NCC rivals (NDSU, SDSU, USD). 

If I had to guess, I think they would stay where they are at 10 teams and get back to having a balanced schedule unless Douple can convince Patty that UND to the Summit is necessary.

5 minutes ago, goyotes said:

Pure speculation, but perhaps it is part of a plan to get Wichita State to join the Horizon League.

There has to be something there, the Horizon wouldn't willy nilly interest on a team 1600 miles away from its closest member without having a travel partner to come with it.  I'd Oral Roberts pop into my head but I'd doubt they would want to move again.

The WAC would be in panic mode as it would drop it to 7 members if NMSU left. 

Since we are speculating, MVC would have a spot to fill if WSU left.. what would they do?

could be some intriguing movement in the mid-major world this summer, and the first domino could fall in Las Cruses!

I think a big issue is what to do with the current WAC members.  They would have to 1) agree to admit 6-8 new football playing members from the Big Sky.  These additions may or may not have the same philosophies regarding DI athletics as the current members; 2) possibly agree to leave the WAC (see the latter part of statement 1) and join the Big Sky.  This would require the current basketball playing members of the WAC to unilaterally agree to kick themselves out of their current conference and would also require the remaining members of the Big Sky who will still be playing FCS football to invite a bunch of non-football schools, who may or may not  have the same philosophies regarding DI athletics as the current members.  It would take a political genius to make that work, but its possible.

This coming week, Idaho's Staben will make a statement and a plea.  He will state the the overwhelming Vandal alumni response was negative to the FCS announcement.  He will also state that he will reconsider FBS if two conditions are met.  First, Vandal supporters must raise x million in pledges, and secondly, six Big Sky program must commit to FBS and move to the WAC. If those two conditions are met, Idaho will stay FBS.

The other Big Sky prez's will respond coolly to that and say that they need to raise money for scholarships and facilities, but secretly they have been planning for it for years.  The six schools that will commit to FBS to satisfy Idaho's demands are Montana, Montana St, EWU, UND, NAU.  But Wichita St will commit to FBS as an affiliate, so that makes eight.  USD even will state they are interested.  Denver will come forward as wanting to be affiliated with an FBS conference.

UND will be reluctant publicly, but there is a a donor or donors that are ready.  When those donor come forward, UND will officially commit.

So all those schools will join the WAC.  The Slummit will have to invite UMKC and Chicago St to stay alive.

The Big Sky will in turn invite GCU, UTRGV, Seattle, UVU, and Bake.  Sac St, Cal Poly, UCDAVIS, and Portland St will remain BSC affiliates for a couple years, and then be invited.  The Big Sky will also invite Azusa Pacific and Dixie St to fill out its FCS roster and Cal Baptist on the basketball side.

Down the road, NDSU and SDSU will have to join, as they didn't get MVC invites. They move, but the Slummit will die if DII teams like Mankato, Augustana, and Grand Valley St haven't been invited.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

This coming week, Idaho's Staben will make a statement and a plea.  He will state the the overwhelming Vandal alumni response was negative to the FCS announcement.  He will also state that he will reconsider FBS if two conditions are met.  First, Vandal supporters must raise x million in pledges, and secondly, six Big Sky program must commit to FBS and move to the WAC. If those two conditions are met, Idaho will stay FBS.

The other Big Sky prez's will respond coolly to that and say that they need to raise money for scholarships and facilities, but secretly they have been planning for it for years.  The six schools that will commit to FBS to satisfy Idaho's demands are Montana, Montana St, EWU, UND, NAU.  But Wichita St will commit to FBS as an affiliate, so that makes eight.  USD even will state they are interested.  Denver will come forward as wanting to be affiliated with an FBS conference.

UND will be reluctant publicly, but there is a a donor or donors that are ready.  When those donor come forward, UND will officially commit.

So all those schools will join the WAC.  The Slummit will have to invite UMKC and Chicago St to stay alive.

The Big Sky will in turn invite GCU, UTRGV, Seattle, UVU, and Bake.  Sac St, Cal Poly, UCDAVIS, and Portland St will remain BSC affiliates for a couple years, and then be invited.  The Big Sky will also invite Azusa Pacific and Dixie St to fill out its FCS roster and Cal Baptist on the basketball side.

Down the road, NDSU and SDSU will have to join, as they didn't get MVC invites. They move, but the Slummit will die if DII teams like Mankato, Augustana, and Grand Valley St haven't been invited.

Since when did Idaho wield such power after getting bounced? This is the tail wagging the dog.

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

My guts and my brain.  Idaho's and NMSU's recent PR's are nothing but ruses.  This move has been planned for years by all involved.

Shouldn't you add to the 'guts and brain' combination, a strong dose of blinding hatred for certain other schools?

If your prediction turns out to be wrong, what will be your explanation?  I may be wrong but I have a hunch you have your cover story already worked out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JackJD said:

Shouldn't you add to the 'guts and brain' combination, a strong dose of blinding hatred for certain other schools?

If your prediction turns out to be wrong, what will be your explanation?  I may be wrong but I have a hunch you have your cover story already worked out.

After reading through this thread,I don't think ol' guts and brain is too concerned with being wrong. He just moves on to the next delusion .

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jackal said:

After reading through this thread,I don't think ol' guts and brain is too concerned with being wrong. He just moves on to the next delusion .

what's more delusional...a reborn WAC fbs football or ndac and or sdsu getting a full mvc invite?

30 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what's more delusional...a reborn WAC fbs football or ndac and or sdsu getting a full mvc invite?

Maybe UND fans wanting to go FBS when they aren't competitive in the FCS, don't have a large enough stadium, and are cash poor.  You think?

• Downvote 4