SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

But having a hard time scheduling a G5 away game for 250 k is the best NDSU can do now.  I see.

Why is Larson trying to raise students fees when they were supposed to be frozen for five?  Why are season ticket prices to the new BSA so outrageous that even TM'ers are complaining?  Seems like someone is driving to raise exit and entrance fees to afford a new conference but bozoville can't put two and two together.

With all the FCS championships you trolls have bragged about, you sure seem short of cash.

The chart that was leaked on the TM dues for the BSA was incorrect. Larson is quoted as saying they prices will be severely less than what was on the premature chart. TM dues have gone up almost every year during the championship run. Its called ---striking while the iron is hot and every successful program does it.

Short of cash? where did you here that. Or are you confused and looking at your own situation?

Fund raising is year round business. You dont just stop when you have a good year. Its continual and you always look at at new avenues for new revenue.

28 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

There are two Canadians near billionaires that are alums, one a football player, then a lawyer, then a gold mine owner, and the other was a fashion designer then owner of a big clothing distributor, and both own Caribbean Islands as winter homes.  Another alum was born in Fargo and became a very successful banker, airline owner and now venture capitalist.  He previously donated NDSU's business building in honor of his father.  All three have been mentioned previously on SS.com.

mark chipman, wade dokken, william marcil, greg page, dave fennell, sally smith, 

27 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The name got on it for some reason.  His foundation gave money to help the NDSU foundation?

The ndsu foundation financed the building and ndsu paid the foundation for it through tuition and state $$. They got in hot water over the whole thing because it was supposed to be funded 100% with donations. They put his name on the building for donations I'm sure, but the donations didn't pay for the building. 

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

There are two Canadians near billionaires that are alums, one a football player, then a lawyer, then a gold mine owner, and the other was a fashion designer then owner of a big clothing distributor, and both own Caribbean Islands as winter homes.  Another alum was born in Fargo and became a very successful banker, airline owner and now venture capitalist.  He previously donated NDSU's business building in honor of his father.  All three have been mentioned previously on SS.com.

UND will be reluctant publicly, but there is a a donor or donors that are ready.  When those donor come forward, UND will officially commit.

According to you donors are just chomping at the bit to donate? Do they know about it ? :lol:

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, bison73 said:

The chart that was leaked on the TM dues for the BSA was incorrect. Larson is quoted as saying they prices will be severely less than what was on the premature chart. TM dues have gone up almost every year during the championship run. Its called ---striking while the iron is hot and every successful program does it.

Short of cash? where did you here that. Or are you confused and looking at your own situation?

Don't you remember the NDSU athletic department saying they needed to more than double student fees to the tune of an extra $1.5 million per year to cover increases in "travel and equipment"? :silly:

Seems odd that they would request money 2 years into a 5 year agreement with students if they didn't actually need it.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Don't you remember the NDSU athletic department saying they needed to more than double student fees to the tune of an extra $1.5 million per year to cover increases in "travel and equipment"? :silly:

Seems odd that they would request money 2 years into a 5 year agreement with students if they didn't actually need it.

Yes I remember that. You still want to beat that dead horse? Ive talked to them about it. Im satisfied with the explanation. You arent. So you going to keep bring that up at every turn?

11 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Yes I remember that. You still want to beat that dead horse? Ive talked to them about it. Im satisfied with the explanation. You arent. So you going to keep bring that up at every turn?

Even you have to see the irony in this comment, no?...

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

mark chipman, wade dokken, william marcil, greg page, dave fennell, sally smith, 

Fennel has a net worth that is much greater than the other because he was a founder, while the others are technically employees.  The other two are owners of major businesses too.  Those three are much older too, so they need to make preparations for their estate.

7 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Even you have to see the irony in this comment, no?...

Not really. Fund raising is continual. Organizations are always looking for new avenues to raise revenue. I find the irony in beating this dead horse considering the position UND is in.

6 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

What is most important is that UND get into the WAC, which can declare UND an FBS transitioning school at any time.  The Montanas need to move too, as well as Idaho.

Question---has UND showed any official interest in moving to FBS? Have they done a study to explore that possibility?

13 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

What is most important is that UND get into the WAC, which can declare UND an FBS transitioning school at any time.  The Montanas need to move too, as well as Idaho.

The point's been made over and over again. The WAC can't "declare" any school an FBS transitioning school without the approval of that school. That approval would require a certain standard of care by that schools, which would certainly require a good deal of official public discussion. I see no evidence that any official discussion has occurred. Please provide evidence that it has. 

The title of this thread is "UND and the Big Sky could go FBS."  The question should maybe be Does UND and the Big Sky want to go FBS?  I really have seen no indication that either have recently shown and signs that they are looking into the possibility.  So the scenarios that SiouxVolley are laying out could possibly come to fruition, but the biggest question of the desire of the the Big Sky and UND has really not been proved to show they have interest of making the move.  Unless I am missing something.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

The point's been made over and over again. The WAC can't "declare" any school an FBS transitioning school without the approval of that school. That approval would require a certain standard of care by that schools, which would certainly require a good deal of official public discussion. I see no evidence that any official discussion has occurred. Please provide evidence that it has. 

A school has to submit paperwork to the NCAA before June 1st of the year it begins a transition.  Coastal has done that.  

Please show evidence of a study and public discussion of FBS before the Sun Belt started talking to Coastal.  Coastal had lesser attendance and a smaller stadium than UND has.  One day Coastal and the Belt hustle decided they were a good match and then Coastal started building a stadium expansion.  The people of Myrtle Beach essentially had no input on the matter.  

Any AD worth his salt knows what is required for a school to go FBS.  Contractor studies are just to prove that to the public. Interesting that Montana St President just hired an Associate AD from Utah to replace Fields.  And that was after she canned the coach after the loss to UND.  Cruzado must not have felt she had the horses to lead the charge to FBS.

9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The title of this thread is "UND and the Big Sky could go FBS."  The question should maybe be Does UND and the Big Sky want to go FBS?  I really have seen no indication that either have recently shown and signs that they are looking into the possibility.  So the scenarios that SiouxVolley are laying out could possibly come to fruition, but the biggest question of the desire of the the Big Sky and UND has really not been proved to show they have interest of making the move.  Unless I am missing something.

Have you ever looked up EWU's Gateway Expansion project?

The timing of Cruzado's Montana State stadium expansion right at the end of the WAC was truly amazing in my view.  But some people never think about it in those terms.

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

So if you remember it, how can you be confused on how someone easily could come to the conclusion that NDSU might be short of funds? It has nothing to do with the explanation and whether you or I are satisfied with it. The athletic department told the students they needed more money and wanted to increase the fees above and beyond what they settled on just 2 years into a 5 year agreement to cover the gap. When the students said no, a logical person would conclude that means if they were short before and their plan to cover the "increase in travel expenses" was denied, they would still be short. And since the request for those fees were completely unrelated to budget cuts, a logical person would also conclude that the athletic department will have to do some trimming on the cuts required for the upcoming biennium due to them being supported by a fairly significant amount of funds directly from the school and in turn state funding ($6-7 million or more last year, depending on how you count it).

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Have you ever looked up EWU's Gateway Expansion project?

The timing of Cruzado's Montana State stadium expansion right at the end of the WAC was truly amazing in my view.  But some people never think about it in those terms.

I agree that there was a time where MT and MT St were looking at moving up.  One of the reasons that the Big Sky expanded when they did.  But I am talking about recently.  Has Montana or MT State or any Big Sky School for that matter actually talked about perusing FBS?  I guess this tread has been going on for too long that speculation has been accepted as fact!

FBS talk comes and goes at schools with presidents and ADs.

The interim AD publicly stated he wanted to see UND in the FBS before Faison was hired...the master plan football stadium at UND isn't for FCS.

Point being there has indeed been public discussion of UND joining FBS as a long term plan.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I agree that there was a time where MT and MT St were looking at moving up.  One of the reasons that the Big Sky expanded when they did.  But I am talking about recently.  Has Montana or MT State or any Big Sky School for that matter actually talked about perusing FBS?  I guess this tread has been going on for too long that speculation has been accepted as fact!

Former AD O'Day had an email about the Griz needing to be FBS or else D2.  Since then, Montana's facilities and sports offering have brought them closer.  Mt State is tied to the Griz, so they have to be ready.  Most Griz fans deny that there is an interest in FBS.  The MWC would be a fatal option for all the Big Sky schools as many of those teams have much higher budgets and much bigger facilities.

Before UND even went DI, there were several stories about Cal Poly and UC Davis wanting to be FBS eventually.  Even Fresno St'S former coach said they would be.  Then the great recession hit.

A lot of schools on the east half of the country want to be FBS and they say so.  Western schools haven't talked about it since 2008, but that desire is still there, and their being much more coy about it.

Why doesn't Miami O, Kent St, Ball St, La Monroe, Troy etc move down to FCS?  They have a lot less going for them than UND.  Answer:  FCS is a bigger money pit than FBS.  Either drop football entirely, or go FBS.  

13 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Former AD O'Day had an email about the Griz needing to be FBS or else D2.  Since then, Montana's facilities and sports offering have brought them closer.  Mt State is tied to the Griz, so they have to be ready.  Most Griz fans deny that there is an interest in FBS.  The MWC would be a fatal option for all the Big Sky schools as many of those teams have much higher budgets and much bigger facilities.

Before UND even went DI, there were several stories about Cal Poly and UC Davis wanting to be FBS eventually.  Even Fresno St'S former coach said they would be.  Then the great recession hit.

A lot of schools on the east half of the country want to be FBS and they say so.  Western schools haven't talked about it since 2008, but that desire is still there, and their being much more coy about it.

Why doesn't Miami O, Kent St, Ball St, La Monroe, Troy etc move down to FCS?  They have a lot less going for them than UND.  Answer:  FCS is a bigger money pit than FBS.  Either drop football entirely, or go FBS.  

What part of this answers his question about recently?

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

A school has to submit paperwork to the NCAA before June 1st of the year it begins a transition.  Coastal has done that.  

Please show evidence of a study and public discussion of FBS before the Sun Belt started talking to Coastal.  Coastal had lesser attendance and a smaller stadium than UND has.  One day Coastal and the Belt hustle decided they were a good match and then Coastal started building a stadium expansion.  The people of Myrtle Beach essentially had no input on the matter.  

Any AD worth his salt knows what is required for a school to go FBS.  Contractor studies are just to prove that to the public. Interesting that Montana St President just hired an Associate AD from Utah to replace Fields.  And that was after she canned the coach after the loss to UND.  Cruzado must not have felt she had the horses to lead the charge to FBS.

So, are you suggesting that UND, or any other Big Sky School, can move up anytime it wants without any public discussion? 

28 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Wyoming and usu would be nice adds for a wac fbs if there is movement in the mwc...plus we own Wyoming in football...but logan and Laramie are very similar to a lot of current bsc cities...

28 minutes ago, southpaw said:

What part of this answers his question about recently?

Recently is not strategic.  Stretch Is.

14 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Wyoming and usu would be nice adds for a wac fbs if there is movement in the mwc...plus we own Wyoming in football...but logan and Laramie are very similar to a lot of current bsc cities...

Wyo, Utah St, Nevada, and SJSU are at the bottom of the MWC and aren't much different from the top of the Big Sky.  Coincidentally there were the last in except Wyo.

14 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

So, are you suggesting that UND, or any other Big Sky School, can move up anytime it wants without any public discussion? 

Are you suggesting that any NDSU decision would have to be approved by you, Fargo, ND taxpayers, and bozoville first?

So let me be sure to get SV's timeline correct.

1) Idaho will announce this week that they made a mistake and they are now going to stay FBS?

2) The Big Sky 6 or 7 who intend to move up will begin FBS play in 2018?

20.4.2.1.2 Notification/Application  Requirement.
The  chancellor or president  rom a Football Championship Subdivision institution that intends to petition for reclassification to the Football Bowl Sub-division, per Bylaw 20.4.2, shall submit to the national office written notice of the institution’s intention to reclassify and a completed application. The notice and application shall be received in the national office (by mail or electronic transmission) not later than June 1 two years prior to the August 1 when the institution intends to reclassify to the Football Bowl Subdivision. Any form received after June 1 shall be postmarked not later than May 25. The notice and application shall be accompanied by a $5,000 fee and a strategic plan that  addresses  the  Division  I  philosophy  statement  (see  Bylaw  20.9.2)  and  the  institutional  performance program requirements.  If the institution fails to qualify for membership in the Football Bowl Subdivision, the application fee shall be refunded, less any expenditure for educational costs related to the reclassification process.

So, according to NCAA bylaws the Big Sky teams moving up better get moving. They have till the end of this month to get their application in.

37 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

So let me be sure to get SV's timeline correct.

1) Idaho will announce this week that they made a mistake and they are now going to stay FBS?

2) The Big Sky 6 or 7 who intend to move up will begin FBS play in 2018?

20.4.2.1.2 Notification/Application  Requirement.
The  chancellor or president  rom a Football Championship Subdivision institution that intends to petition for reclassification to the Football Bowl Sub-division, per Bylaw 20.4.2, shall submit to the national office written notice of the institution’s intention to reclassify and a completed application. The notice and application shall be received in the national office (by mail or electronic transmission) not later than June 1 two years prior to the August 1 when the institution intends to reclassify to the Football Bowl Subdivision. Any form received after June 1 shall be postmarked not later than May 25. The notice and application shall be accompanied by a $5,000 fee and a strategic plan that  addresses  the  Division  I  philosophy  statement  (see  Bylaw  20.9.2)  and  the  institutional  performance program requirements.  If the institution fails to qualify for membership in the Football Bowl Subdivision, the application fee shall be refunded, less any expenditure for educational costs related to the reclassification process.

So, according to NCAA bylaws the Big Sky teams moving up better get moving. They have till the end of this month to get their application in.

SV said the NCAA was going to change the rules. So may be they will change this one also?