SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

40 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

So let me be sure to get SV's timeline correct.

1) Idaho will announce this week that they made a mistake and they are now going to stay FBS?

2) The Big Sky 6 or 7 who intend to move up will begin FBS play in 2018?

20.4.2.1.2 Notification/Application  Requirement.
The  chancellor or president  rom a Football Championship Subdivision institution that intends to petition for reclassification to the Football Bowl Sub-division, per Bylaw 20.4.2, shall submit to the national office written notice of the institution’s intention to reclassify and a completed application. The notice and application shall be received in the national office (by mail or electronic transmission) not later than June 1 two years prior to the August 1 when the institution intends to reclassify to the Football Bowl Subdivision. Any form received after June 1 shall be postmarked not later than May 25. The notice and application shall be accompanied by a $5,000 fee and a strategic plan that  addresses  the  Division  I  philosophy  statement  (see  Bylaw  20.9.2)  and  the  institutional  performance program requirements.  If the institution fails to qualify for membership in the Football Bowl Subdivision, the application fee shall be refunded, less any expenditure for educational costs related to the reclassification process.

So, according to NCAA bylaws the Big Sky teams moving up better get moving. They have till the end of this month to get their application in.

Thanks for the help!

6 hours ago, bison73 said:

Not really. Fund raising is continual. Organizations are always looking for new avenues to raise revenue. I find the irony in beating this dead horse considering the position UND is in.

Oh c'mon.....you really don't?...

It's ok to laugh at yourself from time to time.  I do it a lot. ;)

Off topic: I golfed Golden Eagle on Saturday!

30 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Oh c'mon.....you really don't?...

It's ok to laugh at yourself from time to time.  I do it a lot. ;)

Off topic: I golfed Golden Eagle on Saturday!

We live right across the  cty road from Eagle Lake on the east side. Next time you get this way drop me a message. Where are you at? Cass Lake? Walker? Knudson Dam area?

1 hour ago, jacksfan29 said:

So let me be sure to get SV's timeline correct.

1) Idaho will announce this week that they made a mistake and they are now going to stay FBS?

2) The Big Sky 6 or 7 who intend to move up will begin FBS play in 2018?

20.4.2.1.2 Notification/Application  Requirement.
The  chancellor or president  rom a Football Championship Subdivision institution that intends to petition for reclassification to the Football Bowl Sub-division, per Bylaw 20.4.2, shall submit to the national office written notice of the institution’s intention to reclassify and a completed application. The notice and application shall be received in the national office (by mail or electronic transmission) not later than June 1 two years prior to the August 1 when the institution intends to reclassify to the Football Bowl Subdivision. Any form received after June 1 shall be postmarked not later than May 25. The notice and application shall be accompanied by a $5,000 fee and a strategic plan that  addresses  the  Division  I  philosophy  statement  (see  Bylaw  20.9.2)  and  the  institutional  performance program requirements.  If the institution fails to qualify for membership in the Football Bowl Subdivision, the application fee shall be refunded, less any expenditure for educational costs related to the reclassification process.

So, according to NCAA bylaws the Big Sky teams moving up better get moving. They have till the end of this month to get their application in.

The FBS transition process begins the next season after their paperwork is in.  After two years, the applicant is fully FBS if all goes to plan.  No Big Sky school willike apply this year as you and bizon trolls seem to be implying.

Idaho will hedge on FCS soon, probably this week.

11 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So will sausages be handed out?

-well-played-sir-well-played-indeed.jpg

If one is a fan of sausage it certainly can be arranged.  I still have some smoked jalapeno elk sausage left. Plus 4 different kind of brats from an old world shop in St Louis. That place tosses you a beer when you walk in the door.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Interesting that Montana St President just hired an Associate AD from Utah to replace Fields.  And that was after she canned the coach after the loss to UND.  Cruzado must not have felt she had the horses to lead the charge to FBS.

24672694.jpg

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/montana_state_university/recently-hired-msu-athletic-director-no-longer-wants-job/article_5b51b515-ea0c-51e7-9e5c-e0780c8c3ff9.html

18 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

OUCH! At least the university found out sort of early, but aren't housing and schools things a professional/executive would typically investigate BEFORE accepting a $185k job and being introduced to great fanfare? Something darker lurking beneath the surface?

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Makes you wonder if he was leveraging Utah (or someone else) and had to play the hand this far. 

I'd hate to think the man didn't do his own due diligence before accepting. That would be unprofessional. 

If I'm a university he applies at in the future, I think twice before wasting time offering him a position.

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Forgive me, but tell me how SV's theories are any crazier than if someone, twenty years ago, would have said the WAC would be made up of Chicago State, Grand Canyon, and UT Rio Grand Valley today. 

Just because one "crazy" thing happened doesn't mean every crazy prediction will happen.  Had someone said the WAC would collapse and be on life-support, that wouldn't be crazy.  If SV was just saying UND and some Big Sky teams will end up FBS, that's not crazy.

The crazy part is the predictions and reasoning given for the teams moving up.  It's crazy to think the NCAA cares so much about Idaho that they'll change a rule to allow Idaho's buddies to move up.  It's crazy to now think Idaho announcing its move to FCS is only a PR stunt to gain financial support and in-turn cancel that down-move and instead invite six schools that have not publicly discussed a move to FBS in several years.

50 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

OUCH! At least the university found out sort of early, but aren't housing and schools things a professional/executive would typically investigate BEFORE accepting a $185k job and being introduced to great fanfare? Something darker lurking beneath the surface?

Why didn't he just rent an apartment for 8+ years like our AD?  No worries, no ties.    

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Oh yeah, this move will haunt him to the end. 

I took a quick peak at the Bobcat board...Sounds like his son has Leukemia and is being treated at a very good hospital in SLC.  Not sure if this is a factor, but hard to criticize if it did.  

6 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I took a quick peak at the Bobcat board...Sounds like his son has Leukemia and is being treated at a very good hospital in SLC.  Not sure if this is a factor, but hard to criticize if it did.  

He should have probably just said that.  Pretty solid reason to second guess your decision.

4 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

He should have probably just said that.  Pretty solid reason to second guess your decision.

There were some additional tweets he sent out giving further explanation...including medical care for his son.  You can see more here: http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=38052&start=40

Scroll to the last few posts on page 3

10 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

There were some additional tweets he sent out giving further explanation...including medical care for his son.  You can see more here: http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=38052&start=40

Scroll to the last few posts on page 3

Comes off bad.  Cites his wife's job, too.  Make up your mind, this isn't an entry- level job out of college.  

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

If that's true, I'm with UND-1: Just say it and all will understand. 

Family > _____

The University of Minnesota’s search for a new athletic director appears to be down to four semifinalists — interim AD Beth Goetz, Northern Illinois AD Sean Frazier, Penn State deputy AD Phil Esten and one undisclosed candidate — according to people familiar with the search.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-ad-search-narrowed-to-final-four-sources-say/378844131/

Could the "undisclosed" be ... (the recently reneged on MSU) Brennan?

The STrib says it's not Gene Taylor (contrary to what The Forum thinks: http://www.inforum.com/sports/4029266-reports-gene-taylor-finalist-gophers-ad-job )

Several candidates who were vetted by Turnkey in the initial phases of the search have yet to be contacted for formal job interviews, according to people familiar with their situations. That list includes former Gophers football standouts Pete Najarian and Bob Stein, Iowa deputy AD Gene Taylor, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson, WCHA commissioner Bill Robertson and U.S. Bank senior vice president David Gutzke.

23 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Are you suggesting that any NDSU decision would have to be approved by you, Fargo, ND taxpayers, and bozoville first?

No, I'm suggesting that you have absolutely zero real evidence to back up any of your "theories."

You spend way too much time trying to convince people. If you're right they'll know soon enough. If you're wrong you'll look pretty damn foolish.

15 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

No, I'm suggesting that you have absolutely zero real evidence to back up any of your "theories."

You spend way too much time trying to convince people. If you're right they'll know soon enough. If you're wrong you'll look pretty damn foolish.

Why does this (the SV theories) bother you so much? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Why does this (the SV theories) bother you so much? 

The theories don't bother me at all. I'd actually welcome some of the changes he's suggesting. The problem is SV is selling snake oil and acting superior about it.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

You spend way too much time trying to convince people he is wrong.