SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 baseball

darell1976

What national recognition? GameDay, 3rd NC in FB, WTrack 4x400 in top 10, MBB winning in the biggest tournament in the world. Tell me about your first big win in any sport? How's it feel to be the bottom of the BSC in both women's and men's sports? Oh almost forgot - the only national recognition UND is getting is from a T-shirt.

God damn! You guys can't go one post without mentioning football! Did I say anything about Men's sports?

#BUTTFOOTBALL!

You can admit how jealous you are of how well UND women are doing in major sports.... Basketball, Volleyball, Hockey - all killing it, and with attendance over 1000 in each. How are your women's programs doing? Softball - nobody watches, golf - nobody watches, exercising - nobody watches, oh and nobody watches your women's basketball or volleyball, either. NDSU's womens athletic department is, as you guys like to call it, a dumpster fire! Its trash. Enjoy your softball while we dominate you in women's basketball and volleyball, sports that actually get national recognition.

#buttfootball

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not bashing the GWC, just doesn't mean much when there's only five teams in it,

Bison fans are ripping UND because their Bison made the NCAA baseball tournament, this guy ripped the GWFC when UND was a member. Sucks when there are only 5 teams in a conference...SL has how many baseball teams? That's right, FIVE!!

Bison fans are ripping UND because their Bison made the NCAA baseball tournament, this guy ripped the GWFC when UND was a member. Sucks when there are only 5 teams in a conference...SL has how many baseball teams? That's right, FIVE!!

Who cares how many teams are in a baseball conference honestly? Winner makes the tourney.

Who cares how many teams are in a baseball conference honestly? Winner makes the tourney.

I found it funny how he bashed the GWFC because it had 5 teams at the same time his team won a conference with 5 teams or should I say 4 teams since Omaha isn't playoff eligible.

Has the Curse of The Bambino been broken for NDSU? Will the loss to UND weigh heavy on their minds?

Is the historical success of Mayville State in baseball really an indication that the legendary success of coaches like Al Meyer and Scott Berry truly states that the power of North Dakota baseball lies somewhere in between the two schools? :blush: What say you?

Has the Curse of The Bambino been broken for NDSU? Will the loss to UND weigh heavy on their minds?

Is the historical success of Mayville State in baseball really an indication that the legendary success of coaches like Al Meyer and Scott Berry truly an indication that the power of North Dakota baseball lies somewhere in between the two schools? :blush: What say you?

Power of North Dakota baseball?

That's funny. Both teams are bad. North Dakota is a bad place to field baseball teams. I love baseball, but they should consider dumping the sport for something else. Half the games get cancelled anyway...

Although, it does give some criminal fans from the College of Home Economics a good lie about playing varsity sports while peddling airtime in a third rate market for a third rate station...

Power of North Dakota baseball?

That's funny. Both teams are bad. North Dakota is a bad place to field baseball teams. I love baseball, but they should consider dumping the sport for something else. Half the games get cancelled anyway...

Although, it does give some criminal fans from the College of Home Economics a good lie about playing varsity sports while peddling airtime in a third rate market for a third rate station...

Tremendous success at Mayville State for baseball, no doubt about that! They probably have different weather patterns in Traill County! Maybe both UND and NDSU should drop their respective programs for one team and let the people in Mayville run the program going forward!

Almost laughable that the NCAA allows the Summit to send a team from a four team conference.

Reading Brown's quotes in the Forum you would think they just made the CWS. Have some perspective of what you really accomplished.

1. No true baseball fan is laughing.

2. UND should be commended for winning 4-3 in Fargo and 3-2 in Grand Forks.

3. Objective people would not view Brown's comments as outlandish.

4. The game against #1 seed Oregon State will be televised on ESPNU on Friday at 10 PM CDT.

5. UND chose the WAC because of Men's and Women's Swimming not just because of Baseball.

6. No school can make it to the CWS unless you make the field of 64.

7. NDSU faces a HUGE uphill battle, but the sports world is loaded with examples of the underdog winning.

Almost laughable that the NCAA allows the Summit to send a team from a four team conference.

Reading Brown's quotes in the Forum you would think they just made the CWS. Have some perspective of what you really accomplished.

I have a lot of respect for Coach Brown. I think he is fully aware of what he has and has not accomplished. He trashed his team pretty good and gave full cred to UND after their second loss to us. All that said, it would be fun to see how they would fair in the WAC.

4. The game against #1 seed Oregon State will be televised on ESPNU on Friday at 10 PM CDT.

5. UND chose the WAC because of Men's and Women's Swimming not just because of Baseball.

7. NDSU faces a HUGE uphill battle, but the sports world is loaded with examples of the underdog winning.

Give credit when credit is earned. Congratulations to su for making the baseball NCAA's. Congratulations to su athletics for an outstanding year. This just makes it all the more impressive that UND owned them this year in head to head games. UND continues to get better as it moves along in DI.

I have a lot of respect for Coach Brown. I think he is fully aware of what he has and has not accomplished. He trashed his team pretty good and gave full cred to UND after their second loss to us. All that said, it would be fun to see how they would fair in the WAC.

From what I consider to be an objective point of view, it would make much more sense for a relatively non-revenue sport like baseball for UND to be an affiliate member of the Summit League. It is my understanding that Oral Roberts will rejoin the Summit League next year and Nebraska-Omaha has one maybe several years of transition left. Who knows how things might have turned out if that had been the case this year. Stranger things have happened. I am sure Sioux83 would not have been nearly as sarcastic if that had been the situation. I, for one, am growing weary of this silly back and forth UND/NDSU bashing. As Tom Clifford used to say if it benefits the Great State of North Dakota it can't be all bad.

• Upvote 1

Is it really being sarcastic when not one of the four teams eligible for the conference tournament had a winning record overall or in conference play before it started? Going into the weekend it was the 3rd or 4th worst conference in the nation and it was only that high because ineligible UNO is propping them up as the only team in the conference ranked in the top 225.

The WAC was down this year as well but at least they had some quality teams that were actually eligible. Would have liked UND's chances in the Summit over the WAC this year. Going forward the championship game is going to be alot of UNO vs. Oral Roberts, both will consistently put quality teams on the field and not to mention the weather advantages they will have most years.

That being said, congrats to NDSU on a great year across the board.

ahhh, playing a game against the number 1 overall seed is a nice way of saying NDSU is the worst team in the field... Of course you should have heard/seen Bison fans ragging on Weber St. during the basketball season.. hey just a minute were are the #BUTRPI wizzards from NDSU now 248 out of 302 - holy !@#$ any other team they would on that teams site ripping them..

• Upvote 1

ahhh, playing a game against the number 1 overall seed is a nice way of saying NDSU is the worst team in the field... Of course you should have heard/seen Bison fans ragging on Weber St. during the basketball season.. hey just a minute were are the #BUTRPI wizzards from NDSU now 248 out of 302 - holy !@#$ any other team they would on that teams site ripping them..

RPI only applies to football and men's basketball. They didn't know they had a baseball team until they played UND, kinda like they didn't know about softball until they made the tournament.

1. 64 teams qualify for the NCAA D-1 tournament.

2. Teams get in by a process very similar to how basketball is setup.

3. They have 16-4 team regions.

4. Each region is seeded 1 thru 4.

5. Each region plays a 4 team double elimination tournament.

6. The 16 winners of regional play advance to 8 Super Regionals with 2 teams each, Best 2 out of 3.

7. Those 8 winners advance to the College World Series (CWS) in Omaha NE. I believe it is double elimination with the final 2 teams playing a best of 2 out 3 series.

8. There is a national seeding process to determine where the 16 regions will be played.

9. The women's softball is set-up in a similar fashion.

10. If I am wrong on any of this please correct me as I am not from Montana and I don't know everything.

1. 64 teams qualify for the NCAA D-1 tournament.

2. Teams get in by a process very similar to how basketball is setup.

3. They have 16-4 team regions.

4. Each region is seeded 1 thru 4.

5. Each region plays a 4 team double elimination tournament.

6. The 16 winners of regional play advance to 8 Super Regionals with 2 teams each, Best 2 out of 3.

7. Those 8 winners advance to the College World Series (CWS) in Omaha NE. I believe it is double elimination with the final 2 teams playing a best of 2 out 3 series.

8. There is a national seeding process to determine where the 16 regions will be played.

9. The women's softball is set-up in a similar fashion.

10. If I am wrong on any of this please correct me as I am not from Montana and I don't know everything.

I would say step 1. has a major asterisk. An autobid was handed by a conference that does not meet the NCAAs own minimum qualifications. Now you know why the Power 5 Conferences don't want anything to with the Low Major programs. Many more deserving teams - can't disagree with them on this one.

• Upvote 1

I would say step 1. has a major asterisk. An autobid was handed by a conference that does not meet the NCAAs own minimum qualifications. Now you know why the Power 5 Conferences don't want anything to with the Low Major programs. Many more deserving teams - can't disagree with them on this one.

A one in four chance at an autobid...doesn't take much compared to the other conferences.

It's unfortunate that both institutions have this Lunatic Fringe. I would be surprised if it makes up much more than 10% of the total fan base from both places. Montana, Minnesota, or the lower half of Dakota Territory now those are opportunities for true rivalries!

RPI only applies to football and men's basketball. They didn't know they had a baseball team until they played UND, kinda like they didn't know about softball until they made the tournament.

Actually d76 it's the other way around. We have threads for all our sports. (most all). Not like you guys that only have "other sports" You guys only comment when you play us, BV has a ton of posts and are followed all year. Must suck to be wrong again!