SiouxSports.com Forum

Green Jerseys

sioux24/7

Depending on how they set it up, I think it could work very well and thought it was a pretty good suggestion. I think people would like chipping in a few bucks or so to cover something specific like that. Not sure how the reward system part would work, having to be careful with tax deduction issues and such, but is a legitimate idea to pass on.

That's true about the tax deduction piece.

However, if there was some sort of sweet exclusive hooded sweatshirt or something like that for say $100 I would personally forgo the tax deduction knowing that I was getting a awesome hoody that nobody else can get.

Heck maybe you could even get a local place to donate the embroidering. Maybe they could profit $60-70 off that.

My brother and I are planning to contribute to this as well. I sent an email to Mike Mannaussa asking a few of the questions/suggestions that have been brought up here. I asked for a reply or for something official from UND to be posted to this thread. We will see if something is posted or I will post if I hear anything back.

• Upvote 1

Mike is supposed to get back to me. I think they can be flexible so people could donate what they can afford. I think it is best to have the fund set up through UND so people can deduct their donations and feel confident the dollars are going where they should. The preliminary idea was that the $500 donation would cover cost of entire uniform and donor would receive a replica jersey. We are close to 20 people. Stay tuned and thanks for being patient.

Maybe you missed the part where I said to run it through UND somehow... That being said, If they can provide a replica jersey then they should be able to provide other things in return as well...

The thing about some of the crowd sourcing sites is that you can see where it is at and how much more until the project is funded...

If anybody is not understanding what I am talking about go check out www.kickstarter.com... I don't see why they couldn't have some larger things you get in return for a larger commitment as well for those that would be able to afford that as well. Overall maybe I just feel like it would be more successful to get some participation out of the younger crowd... I know most likely many of my former teammates would be more open to this... It is better than seeing 701-777-xxxx show up on the caller id and just hitting ignore because you don't want another person asking for money. I know that sounds harsh but it is reality.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I hadn't heard back from UND folks. I have trouble understanding the delay but if I don't hear back tomorrow as to where we send $ then I will assume they aren't interested in this idea.

I sent an email to Mike Mannausa over a week ago and haven't heard anything back. That tells me that there is no interest.

Delay is due to some other proposals being entertained. I'm not prepared to send anyone $ until we have a not for profit entity to send to so we get the tax write off. We will need a commitment of $50,000 with checks collected to buy new set uniforms with helmets. UND staff will need to coordinate this and then give instructions as to how we can make it happen. I guess we can be patient but I would hope they jump on this idea. I think we had almost .$10,000 committed with others who said they would consider once they knew details.

I'm actually against doing this. New jerseys never won a football game. Yea, they look great, but it's more eye candy for the spectators than it is for the players, and all this will do is suck money away from other badly needed areas. So, unless the old green jerseys are nothing but tattered rags, I'd say put the effort into other areas.

I'm actually against doing this. New jerseys never won a football game. Yea, they look great, but it's more eye candy for the spectators than it is for the players, and all this will do is suck money away from other badly needed areas. So, unless the old green jerseys are nothing but tattered rags, I'd say put the effort into other areas.

Trust me. They need new greens.

You certainly are in the minority. Let me try to convince you otherwise.

UND has wore green home jerseys for the vast majority of the football program's existence. Nearly every spectacular and historic moment of UND football is associated with Kelly green jerseys (e.g., 2001 National Championship, finally defeating NDSU in 1993, last Nickel Trophy game, etc.). Also, as Bubba recently said, Green and White are our school colors - we should be wearing them!

Ultimately, the new coaching staff believes we should be wearing green jerseys at home and I agree with that. The proposed plan was to raise enough funds for a new uniform set and helmets, possibly green jerseys, green pants, and black helmet, or something along those lines. The way I look at it, the helmet and pants portion is just extra. The bottom line is we need new green jerseys that match the same style as the black and white jerseys. They need to be tight fit like the new black and white jerseys - not extremely loose and old-fashion like the current green jerseys (which we didn't wear once last season because the players hate them!).

If we can somehow get new pants and helmets, that's great! But I really just want new green jerseys! Match them up with white pants and our green helmets and we would be fine! Plus we have black pants/black jerseys for alternates. I think the black pants/white jersey combo should be for the road and the green jersey/white pants combo should be for home.

Let's get these green jerseys ordered!!

Go Sioux!

You certainly are in the minority. Let me try to convince you otherwise.

I would disagree that T Rex is in the minority. There are less than 20 siouxsports.com posters who have pledged for this.

I am with T Rex; if the athletic dept, with a budget in excess of $20 million, does not feel it is even worthy of a reply to Ira or gfhockey, then they don't need to tap into my meager resources to replace the jerseys they currently have.

Then don't participate. Uniforms are a great recruiting tool. No, they have never won a FB game. We paint our house to preserve the siding but also to keep it looking sharp. We have a group of people interested in doing this at no cost to UND. Not sure why anyone would be against it. One reason people are willing to do this is that they know where the donation is going and can actually see what they have done. That is rare when dealing with government entities.