SiouxSports.com Forum

Defensive Coordinator

bincitysioux

so let's see here, SIU is a program that has been nothing of late and yet UND raids their coaching staff and thinks it will lead them to the promised land. way to go Mr. AD. for a program that seriouslyt needed to cut ties with former players and coaches for its current staff this is brilliant I say, just brilliant...not. :sneaky:

For the record, UND only took two of the four coaches that left. Eastern Michigan took one, and NDSU took the other.

so let's see here, SIU is a program that has been nothing of late and yet UND raids their coaching staff and thinks it will lead them to the promised land. way to go Mr. AD. for a program that seriouslyt needed to cut ties with former players and coaches for its current staff this is brilliant I say, just brilliant...not. :sneaky:

We only took 2 of those, the DC and LBs coach. If there's a bright spot on SIU's team, it's been the defensive side of the ball. NDSU took the QBs coach and EMU took the OC, so apparently we're not the only ones going after their staff.

I don't see the logic either - I appreciate that the coaches are fired up and want to make a difference - Can anyone answer why they couldn't make a difference in Carbondale and what they will do different here? Is there something I'm missing or is this just Magical Thinking?

Bubba and Schmidt had nothing but success while at UND. I think they deserve the full support of all UND fans. As far as I'm concerned, Muss was like Behrns, and Bubba will be like RT.

• Upvote 2

Why is it so important to you that UND cut ties with former players and coaches? Would you rather bring in a staff that is unfamiliar with UND, the midwest and has no relationships with HS coaches in the region? You can spew about "the good ole boys" all you want, I want coaches and players that take pride in the program, know the region, have had success in this area and are looking to build the program for the long term.

• Upvote 2

Why is everyone pretending that SIU was a bottom feeder. Didn't they just miss out on the playoffs this past year in the MVFC, come on that was a good conference. Also, these coaches are midwest guys, I believe they will recruit well in ND, MN, WI etc.

SIU was also beating NDSU in the 2nd half when their starting QB got injured. Entire season done after that.

i don't really feel sorry for dale...he had a million reasons to leave und and he will have a million reason to keep him company if/when he gets let go...

I don't feel bad for him either. Obviously, everyone has to do what they have to do for their careers and you can't begrudge a guy for taking more money. But at the same time, he could not have left UND at a worse time - right at the beginning of the tough transition to DI and with an interim athletic director.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't hold any ill will towards Lennon. I think that in retrospect he made a mistake going where he did. And yes, it was the worst possible time for him to go, at least from UND's perspective. But nevertheless he did a lot for UND football, and is still a great coach no matter what has happened, or will happen at SIU.

• Upvote 1

You guys are all welcome for me divulging this info....feels great to be back in the good ole boy network

Before bubba was introduced schmidt was comign with him but dale threw us a curve ball

Down

With

dale

Divulging what information? That a head coach who had already lost his two coordinators tried to offer the heir apparent to the DC job more money and a better title? Real great detective work there Sherlock. Has Bubba decided on an OC yet or haven't your sources got back to you on that one?

Why is everyone pretending that SIU was a bottom feeder. Didn't they just miss out on the playoffs this past year in the MVFC, come on that was a good conference. Also, these coaches are midwest guys, I believe they will recruit well in ND, MN, WI etc.

So you're saying that they were assistant coaches on a team that "almost" made the expanded playoffs. Well, that's different then

Why even respond to this garbage?

Dale left to persue an opportunity at a higher level. He is a loyal UND guy and is an excellent coach. He left after consulting with Gene Murphy who is arguably the most popular coach of any sport in UND history. He was liked and respected by coaches and athletes of all sports as well as students who had him in the classroom. Dale was a Murphy protégé. He wanted to coach at highest level possible. UND was not ready to provide him with necessary resources for the move to fcs so he did the smart thing. To comment he would return as line coach doesn't make sense. He could return as head coach and would do great job. Dale got UND to top of D2 before he left. He is a proven winner.

• Upvote 2

Dale left to persue an opportunity at a higher level. He is a loyal UND guy and is an excellent coach. He left after consulting with Gene Murphy who is arguably the most popular coach of any sport in UND history. He was liked and respected by coaches and athletes of all sports as well as students who had him in the classroom. Dale was a Murphy protégé. He wanted to coach at highest level possible. UND was not ready to provide him with necessary resources for the move to fcs so he did the smart thing. To comment he would return as line coach doesn't make sense. He could return as head coach and would do great job. Dale got UND to top of D2 before he left. He is a proven winner.

Dale was our most successful DII coach - on his staff were our two finalists for head coach (and our eventual head coach) and our new defensive coordinator - why no success in DI at Carbondale? Why the fascination with this bunch (other than reliving our memories of our only Natty) - Based on performances for the last 4-5 years I just don't see it. I'll give you that these guys have strong UND roots, but as far as DI success? I'm not buying vague explainations like "different recruiting area". What am I not seeing that everyone else seems to? I'm not trying to start an argument, just don't understand.

So you're saying that they were assistant coaches on a team that "almost" made the expanded playoffs. Well, that's different then

You realize Southern Illinois hired a D2 head coach as their head, and a D2 head coach as Def. Coordinator, right? What rhe hell is the difference? SIU had been to the playoffs and still hired those guys.

I don't really understand why people assume everything will be the same because the new hires are UND guys.... It's not like they are all clones just because they have similar backgrounds. Some of the most important aspects of successfully coaching a team would include instilling an attitude, a discipline, and a strong level of commitment. This is accomplished with leadership from the staff. Schemes may be similar, but the quality of leadership at the top is vastly improved IMO.

I want to know what did people expect was going to be the new coach? Nick Saban or Bo Pelini wasn't going to apply. UND is not exactly on top of the football world. I have faith in the new coaching crew and I think UND's dark days are over.

Dale was our most successful DII coach - on his staff were our two finalists for head coach (and our eventual head coach) and our new defensive coordinator - why no success in DI at Carbondale? Why the fascination with this bunch (other than reliving our memories of our only Natty) - Based on performances for the last 4-5 years I just don't see it. I'll give you that these guys have strong UND roots, but as far as DI success? I'm not buying vague explainations like "different recruiting area". What am I not seeing that everyone else seems to? I'm not trying to start an argument, just don't understand.

Not fascinated by any of them. A guy I coached with and played for, had a lot of respect for Dale. He can coach and his players respected him and played hard for him. Doesnt matter what level. I dont know exactly why they have struggled at SIU. guys who can coach tend to have ups and downs. Why didn't Shanahan or Lombardi have success with the Redskins after winning Super Bowls elsewhere. Not reliving memories cuz I didn't play then, but I can observe and have an opinion and that opinion was shared by some pretty good FB coaches and players. Bloggers tend to be more impressed with the resume than the person cuz that's all we have to go by. Bubba can coach and he can recruit. I didn't hire him but I might have, I wasn't privy to the necessary info. I know he and his staff have a very small window to evaluate talent on team then talent of recruits and start building for success. I will do what I can to help and really don't care if he has UND, area or local ties as long as he gets the job done and does things the right way. I have no reason to think and his staff won't do a great job. If they don't we get someone else. If these guys fail it won't be for lack of effort. Bubba has a passion for this job and that is positive. Not arguing either but time will tell.

• Upvote 1

Dale was our most successful DII coach - on his staff were our two finalists for head coach (and our eventual head coach) and our new defensive coordinator - why no success in DI at Carbondale?

Success can be a hard thing to quantify. I admit, I thought Lennon would do better at SIU than he has, basically because of his prolific tenure here. However one probably has to consider the heirarchy of DII and DI when measuring his success.

For instance, did you know that Lennon has the 2nd highest winning percentage at SIU, behind only Jerry Kill? It is not like SIU is to DI what North Dakota was to DII, which is/was a perennial top program. In 95 years of football they are 50 games under .500. North Dakota is 250 games over .500. SIU has had just 6 head coaches with winning records. North Dakota has had 15.

My point is, it is probably easier for a good head coach to have success at North Dakota than it is at SIU, for whatever reason. Money, institutional support, regional competition, etc. I'm sure the SIU faithful and Lennon himself would have preferred to make the playoffs the last couple years, but I'm not sure what they realisticaly expect (the fanbase that is). It is not like SIU is a Montana that has been a favorite to win a conference title for like 25 straight years. He's already the 3rd most successful coach they've ever had, and his teams have improved each of the last two years.

Jut my 2 cents.......

Success can be a hard thing to quantify. I admit, I thought Lennon would do better at SIU than he has, basically because of his prolific tenure here. However one probably has to consider the heirarchy of DII and DI when measuring his success.

For instance, did you know that Lennon has the 2nd highest winning percentage at SIU, behind only Jerry Kill? It is not like SIU is to DI what North Dakota was to DII, which is/was a perennial top program. In 95 years of football they are 50 games under .500. North Dakota is 250 games over .500. SIU has had just 6 head coaches with winning records. North Dakota has had 15.

My point is, it is probably easier for a good head coach to have success at North Dakota than it is at SIU, for whatever reason. Money, institutional support, regional competition, etc. I'm sure the SIU faithful and Lennon himself would have preferred to make the playoffs the last couple years, but I'm not sure what they realisticaly expect (the fanbase that is). It is not like SIU is a Montana that has been a favorite to win a conference title for like 25 straight years. He's already the 3rd most successful coach they've ever had, and his teams have improved each of the last two years.

Jut my 2 cents.......

You are forgetting that they built all new facilities after they hired Lennon (not just a new stadium). That is probably why people are restless at SIU; people can't understand why the success didn't immediately follow. I think over time, they will have more success, but not if they change regimes every couple of years.

My hope is that Bubba and company will be recruiting a slightly different footprint with ND/Minn/Wisc while keeping a presence in Illinois. SIU's roster consists of 0/1/3 players respectively from those first three states.

But I thought our footprint was the Sky, not the same areas the Mo Valley teams try to work. I'm not convinced we are going in the right direction, but time will tell quickly enough.

It's important to note that Dale Lennon is 42-28 at SIU and has two playoff appearances, along with narrowly missing the playoffs this year. UND fans should be happy that kind of pedigree, in terms of Bubba and Schmidt, is coming back to UND. They are proven winners at the DI level - something Mussman & staff could not do. When you throw in the fact that Bubba did a good job compiling talent for UMD's DII national championships and UND's 2001 NC, UND is in a great position with their new leadership. Bottom line: to say that SIU has done nothing during Lennon's SIU tenure is foolish; Mussman on the other hand did nothing here at UND during his HC days.