SiouxSports.com Forum

Fading Memory...or North Dakota Media Guide Incorrect?

MafiaMan

In 55 all-time meetings, UND and Northern Michigan have tied three times:

Oct. 20, 1990 in Marquette (5-5)

Jan. 11, 1992 in Marquette (6-6)

Dec. 11, 1992 in Grand Forks (2-2)

Hope this clears things up or wins some wagers.

That was the game that I was at, but it was a blur.

Thought that game was in Duluth? Biggest comeback would have been 2012 against rodnets on the comeback from being down 3-0 and winning 6-3.

I can think of a few other games in just the last 15 years when UND overcame three goal deficits to win. One of my favorites was at home against DU. The Sioux trailed 3-0 and 4-1 before winning 5-4. Kozek, I believe, had a hat trick in that game.

Bochenski was the hero in the early 2000s when UND turned the tables on BC at home trailing, I think 3-0, and winning 6-4.

I can think of a few other games in just the last 15 years when UND overcame three goal deficits to win. One of my favorites was at home against DU. The Sioux trailed 3-0 and 4-1 before winning 5-4. Kozek, I believe, had a hat trick in that game.

The end of that game was awesome and I think a majority of the "fans" missed it.

Bochenski was the hero in the early 2000s when UND turned the tables on BC at home trailing, I think 3-0, and winning 6-4.

I was thinking this game because they really did not have a full roster and walk ons playing major roles.

I listened to the comeback against UMD on the radio; the game was in Duluth. Hennessy was beside himself, as you can imagine.

The 75 Years of Sioux Hockey book has a few tidbits. Behind a Brett Hull hat trick, UMD had a 6-1 lead after one period. The Sioux outshot UMD 34-7 in the third. That fits my recollection, that the Sioux dominated but couldn't get the puck across the line. They eventually did.

I listened to the comeback against UMD on the radio; the game was in Duluth. Hennessy was beside himself, as you can imagine.

The 75 Years of Sioux Hockey book has a few tidbits. Behind a Brett Hull hat trick, UMD had a 6-1 lead after one period. The Sioux outshot UMD 34-7 in the third. That fits my recollection, that the Sioux dominated but couldn't get the puck across the line. They eventually did.

Who was the Duluth goalie then?

any 1 remember the game at the old Ralph/Sioux behind rodents 3 goals in the 3rd period and came back to win/think it was early in the Blais era.

That was a Sunday afternoon game, I believe. I know Jason Blake got a nice goal. It mat have been the one that tied it up....or not.

Unfortunately, our record books do not include "largest deficit overcome in a victory" but that's something we absolutely need to research and add in future years. The UMD game you reference on Jan. 11, 1986 might not represent the largest deficit overcome, but certainly could qualify as the most improbable comeback.

UND trailed 7-3 with 2:56 left in the third period before scoring four goals in a 2:41 span to force overtime, two by Brian Williams and one each by Scott Koberinski and Chris Jensen. Ian Kidd deflected a Glen Klotz shot 50 seconds into overtime for the winner.

I get chills just thinking about that game ...

On the other side of that coin - "the most improbable game lost" - just 8 years earlier at the DECC, UND had a 4-zip lead with under 10 minutes left, only to see Duluth tie it in the final seconds. 35 years later, I can still see the puck rolling up the arm and over the shoulder of UND goaltender Bill Stankoven, and drop just beyond the goal line with less than 10 seconds left. Of course, after all that, UMD won it in OT.

And perhaps the most "improbable game won" also happened at the DECC. It was 1999. UND trailed 3-2 in the final minute, then scored to tie it and send it into overtime. BUT WAIT! UND scored again (Adam Calder from Jason Blake) at 19:58 to win 4-3. I don't ever being quite so stunned as that night.

Link to boxscore:

http://www.uscho.com...nnesota-duluth/

That was a Sunday afternoon game, I believe. I know Jason Blake got a nice goal. It mat have been the one that tied it up....or not.

Sunday afternoon, February 15th, 1998. UND trailed Minnesota 3-0 after two periods.

Then, early in the 3rd, Curtis Murphy scored on the PP. 3-1 UM

Then Jay and Jeff Panzer scored on a pretty 2-1 rush. 3-2 UM

Then Jason Blake took a pass from Murphy at the Gopher blue line, cut to the middle and rifled a shot to the glove side of G Steve DeBus. Woog calls his TO one goal too late to make a difference. Game tied 3-3

Then Jay Panzer pounded it home right in front of the net. 4-3 Sioux

Finally, Matt Henderson iced the game with an empty netter. It happened just as DeBus came off the ice. 5-3 Sioux FINAL. Series Sweep. Stick Salute. And some very sore eardrums! :D

The Sioux outshot the Rodents 21-1 in the 3rd period. The look on Woog's face was absolutely priceless; he could not believe what was happening. He must still have nightmares of the Old REA in the 1990's; from all the losing and from the student section! :)

I have that game on tape and will NEVER get rid of it. When the Old REA was being demolished this year, this is the game I thought of immediately.

Great memories. :)

I get chills just thinking about that game ...

On the other side of that coin - "the most improbable game lost" - just 8 years earlier at the DECC, UND had a 4-zip lead with under 10 minutes left, only to see Duluth tie it in the final seconds. 35 years later, I can still see the puck rolling up the arm and over the shoulder of UND goaltender Bill Stankoven, and drop just beyond the goal line with less than 10 seconds left. Of course, after all that, UMD won it in OT.

And perhaps the most "improbable game won" also happened at the DECC. It was 1999. UND trailed 3-2 in the final minute, then scored to tie it and send it into overtime. BUT WAIT! UND scored again (Adam Calder from Jason Blake) at 19:58 to win 4-3. I don't ever being quite so stunned as that night.

If you are old enough to have watched Stankoven play, then maybe you remember the series against Michigan at the old Ralph in January 1979. UND trailed 8-5 with just under 6 minutes left in the third and then scored four goals in regulation to win 9-8. That was the absolute loudest I ever heard that building rock. It was the first Fighting Sioux hockey game my wife ever saw and she has been hooked since.

I always liked Bill Stankoven better than Pete Waselovich, but Rube didn't seem to see it my way. I thought Stankoven was the better goaltender until that time he took a slapshot that got under his chest pad. I have never seen a goalie writhe in pain that much since and I don't think he was ever the same after that.

Sunday afternoon, February 15th, 1998. UND trailed Minnesota 3-0 after two periods.

Then, early in the 3rd, Curtis Murphy scored on the PP. 3-1 UM

Then Jay and Jeff Panzer scored on a pretty 2-1 rush. 3-2 UM

Then Jason Blake took a pass from Murphy at the Gopher blue line, cut to the middle and rifled a shot to the glove side of G Steve DeBus. Woog calls his TO one goal too late to make a difference. Game tied 3-3

Then Jay Panzer pounded it home right in front of the net. 4-3 Sioux

Finally, Matt Henderson iced the game with an empty netter. It happened just as DeBus came off the ice. 5-3 Sioux FINAL. Series Sweep. Stick Salute. And some very sore eardrums! :D

The Sioux outshot the Rodents 21-1 in the 3rd period. The look on Woog's face was absolutely priceless; he could not believe what was happening. He must still have nightmares of the Old REA in the 1990's; from all the losing and from the student section! :)

I have that game on tape and will NEVER get rid of it. When the Old REA was being demolished this year, this is the game I thought of immediately.

Great memories. :)

I had it on tape but I played it so much the damn thing broke. Had to throw it away.

In 55 all-time meetings, UND and Northern Michigan have tied three times:

Oct. 20, 1990 in Marquette (5-5)

Jan. 11, 1992 in Marquette (6-6)

Dec. 11, 1992 in Grand Forks (2-2)

Hope this clears things up or wins some wagers.

So where did you get your info? Just curious because I'm guessing you would have more/better access to this type of information. Thanks.

From our media guides, files and archives here in the UND Athletics Media Relations office.

Most don't know this, but before folks like myself were called 'media relations directors,' we were known as 'sports information directors.' Preserving historical archives with information like this is actually one of my primary functions. We have a box score for every game going back to at least the mid-60s. Before that, the information becomes much more scarce.