SiouxSports.com Forum

Fading Memory...or North Dakota Media Guide Incorrect?

MafiaMan

I listened to the comeback against UMD on the radio; the game was in Duluth. Hennessy was beside himself, as you can imagine.

The 75 Years of Sioux Hockey book has a few tidbits. Behind a Brett Hull hat trick, UMD had a 6-1 lead after one period. The Sioux outshot UMD 34-7 in the third. That fits my recollection, that the Sioux dominated but couldn't get the puck across the line. They eventually did.

That was my memory as well, that this game was a road game. I listened to it on the radio as well. At least that's my memory. I remember so little of those times that I hesitate to say anything unless someone says something first that matches with my memory :)

From our media guides, files and archives here in the UND Athletics Media Relations office.

Most don't know this, but before folks like myself were called 'media relations directors,' we were known as 'sports information directors.' Preserving historical archives with information like this is actually one of my primary functions. We have a box score for every game going back to at least the mid-60s. Before that, the information becomes much more scarce.

Ok...thanks for your response...

From our media guides, files and archives here in the UND Athletics Media Relations office.

Most don't know this, but before folks like myself were called 'media relations directors,' we were known as 'sports information directors.' Preserving historical archives with information like this is actually one of my primary functions. We have a box score for every game going back to at least the mid-60s. Before that, the information becomes much more scarce.

Did they still spill on their ties. :)

Jason,

How does one get the Sioux roster for the years 1972-73, 1973-74, 1974-75, 1975-76?

Isn't that what Mr. Kvidt use to be? Real gentleman.

Were you a student in those days, W Sioux?

Yes and was at the first game in the old Ralph. Also returned to campus for other degrees over the years. I remember some of the players did not even wear helmets. Goalie had the old "Jason" mask. My favorite player was nicknamed Spook Calhoun (not sure of spelling of last name). They also had a junior varsity in those days.

Yes and was at the first game in the old Ralph. Also returned to campus for other degrees over the years. I remember some of the players did not even wear helmets. Goalie had the old "Jason" mask. My favorite player was nicknamed Spook Calhoun (not sure of spelling of last name). They also had a junior varsity in those days.

Jim Cahoon. I helped move broadcast equipment into the arena just before it opened, with a friend who was in broadcasting.

Did not remember Gino being an assistant to Bjorkman. Guess it's not always a bad idea to replace a coach with an assistant.

Jim Cahoon. I helped move broadcast equipment into the arena just before it opened, with a friend who was in broadcasting.

Did not remember Gino being an assistant to Bjorkman. Guess it's not always a bad idea to replace a coach with an assistant.

I thought Gino was an assistant at Sacred Heart before coming to Grand Forks. Maybe I'm confused...

I thought Gino was an assistant at Sacred Heart before coming to Grand Forks. Maybe I'm confused...

Bjorkman and Sacred Heart two posts apart. Time for Wilbur to get things straightened out.

Did you get to know Greg Cameron?

Man....what an uproar when Gino was named head coach. One of the guys in the running was Ned Harkness from RPI who had a couple of national championships under his belt. Rob Leer, the sportscaster at WDAZ was so upset that he tore up his UND press pass on the air. It cost him his job. He wound up at KSTP in the Twin Cities and now owns his own broadcasting consulting firm.

It took Gino just about one year to make everyone forget about Ned Harkness. The rest is history. Unfortunately, the nightmares of Rube have never faded.

Man....what an uproar when Gino was named head coach. One of the guys in the running was Ned Harkness from RPI who had a couple of national championships under his belt. Rob Leer, the sportscaster at WDAZ was so upset that he tore up his UND press pass on the air. It cost him his job. He wound up at KSTP in the Twin Cities and now owns his own broadcasting consulting firm.

It took Gino just about one year to make everyone forget about Ned Harkness. The rest is history. Unfortunately, the nightmares of Rube have never faded.

I remember that like it was yesterday...leer was in an establishment afterwords blacked out drunk

goodtime s by all

I remember that like it was yesterday...leer was in an establishment afterwords blacked out drunk

goodtime s by all

The Sioux had a JV team in those days, and some of the JV guys did not like Gino at all. I think Rube was pretty mellow at that point, and Gino had some edge, and I suspect he was in charge of the JV squad.

Sounds like a lot of you guys remember the old barn. No heat so sneaking in booze and win in those big air force parkas was so easy it was hardly hidden. Wire mesh in the end zone, where the cymbals guy would crash opposing players when they got their head up against the wire.

Did you get to know Greg Cameron?

I did not, knew Jim Cruise, Steve Gasparini, Al Hangsleben, Rick Clubbe, Earl Anderson, Dennis Johnson and Roger Lameroux from the dorm (Walsh). Not many others. AF parkas hiding the booze in the old barn, brutally cold in there, I guess, but we weren't feeling much pain, Got drenched with beer some girls in front of us through up into the air when the Sioux won. It was a cold walk back to Walsh.

Was gone from UND when Gino was hired as head coach (living in south Texas, had no idea what was going on with Sioux hockey). Didn't know the locals wanted someone else hired as HC.

Rob Leer that is a name from the past. I sat next to him in Fischer's Voice and Diction class. Years later I found out a friend of mine here in Wisconsin worked with him at KTSP.