SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Cal Poly (Oregon Tourney Day 1, 11/29)

SWSiouxMN

The game against Cal Poly is definitely not going to be a walk in the park. They played #6 Arizona very closely losing by 11. I think we can win but I hope they are focusing on Cal Poly and not on Oregon just yet.

One game at a time. In this day of rule changes (NCAA foul policy) there is no overlooking anybody, especially if you end up in foul trouble.

Of course UND is going to overlook Cal Poly!

Oregon is the next day!

No Question about it -- UND will overlook Cal Poly. Count on it.

There is also no question that Cal Poly is going to overlook UND. They also play Pacific and Oregon on Sunday.

It's a Wash

UND Beats Cal Poly by Double Digits -- UND Beats Oregon in a close one -- UND might get beat by Pacific because Pacific is no slouch but UND wins that one to.

That will be a great weekend for us and after the Oregon win, it will be welcome to the NCAA College Basketball map time for our program.

After Wisconsin, this team knows they can play with Oregon. This is where they fix the defensive mistakes against Wisconsin and get the 2nd crack at a Top 20 team.

It's going to be a year to remember! The Bison win will be viewed as routine by January.

• Upvote 1

Oregon is a neulion school, so perhaps they will end up on UND insider like the Miami and Omaha hockey games. Otherwise at least the Oregon game should be on Pac12 network.

I wonder if Midco could buy the rights to broadcast the game in this area..... I'm pretty sure Midco doesn't carry the Pac12 Network.

Things I am looking forward to see on Friday (and the weekend in particular)

1) Progression of frontcourt (other than Nash)

-After a couple of clunkers, the frontcourt took a step forward in the win against NDSU. Calcaterra gave us a glimpse of what he can do when he is on his game, and despite their limited minutes due to foul trouble, Traylor and Salmonson provided more good moments than bad. I would personally like to see 1 of these 3 start to separate from the other 2 in term of efficient play. The thing about Wilmer that drove me nuts last year (until Feb/March), was he would come out and play awesome one night, then stink it up the other. Keep taking steps forward (no matter how small they are)

Nash, just keep up the good work.

2) Can Webb continue his efficient play

-Some people can argue that efficiency wise, Jamal Webb is off to his best start of his career. While his points and rebounds are down to start the year, he has improved something ever more important so far this year. This is his assist to turnover ratio for the 1st 3 games of his 4 seasons, with his raw stats below the A/T ratio

2010: 1.28

2011: 1.375

2012: .909

2013: 3.666

A T

2010: 9 7

2011: 11 8

2012: 10 11

2013: 11 3

Now that is pretty good, the question is can he keep this production up. His points will come as he gets back into rhythm after his off-season injury to his foot, but this is a very encouraging sign for UND. I predict a 15+ performance in 1 of these 3 games for him.

3) Depth will be challenged

-This is where I would see the Bentons, Antwis, Hookers of the world to play big minutes this weekend. Perhaps this could be the debut of Stefan as well. Need to keep the big guns as fresh as possible throughout the weekend. Schuler is going to be big for us once again.

4) Huff

-I finally got to see him in live action against NDSU and have seen him a lot in the last 4 years. Compared the last year, he has improved his game 10 folds. Reasons: His shot has improved again (His stroke looks just awesome right now) and he can finish those tough shots he wasn't able to last year. My 1 big question: can he stay around 73-78% from the free throw line or be better. I keep harping on these numbers 50/40/75 or better. I think he can do at least that this year.

• Upvote 1

Heard from a source that Schuler has a concussion from practice the other day and is not traveling to Oregon. This is a big loss with 3 games in 3 days. Hopefully he will recover in a few days and back in action next week.

Maybe Cole Stefan will replace him while he recovers. Cole was targeting this weekend to come back from his injury.

Heard from a source that Schuler has a concussion from practice the other day and is not traveling to Oregon. This is a big loss with 3 games in 3 days. Hopefully he will recover in a few days and back in action next week.

Unusual basketball injuries have really plagued this program for whatever reason in the past three or four years. I suppose a big part of it may be the increased awareness of concussions lately, but I honestly can't recall any concussions or broken jaws to UND basketball players before the last few years.

I believe with all the lawsuits being made so public that if a player gets hit in the head and he has a headache the trainers/doctors are going to sit the athlete to take any chance of recourse on them. The new theory better safe than sorry. Years ago players played with these issues but attorneys have changed all that.

I believe with all the lawsuits being made so public that if a player gets hit in the head and he has a headache the trainers/doctors are going to sit the athlete to take any chance of recourse on them. The new theory better safe than sorry. Years ago players played with these issues but attorneys have changed all that.

Wouldn't you expect that other programs would be similarly affected? I would be interested to know whether there is another college basketball program in the country that has seen as many head/face injuries over a two-year period. In addition to Brekke's significant problems, and now Schuler, I can recall Anderson getting his bell rung after a hard screen and missing a little time a year or two ago, and Huff's broken jaw. I actually think it has been more of a problem at UND in basketball than football, which is hard to believe.

Wouldn't you expect that other programs would be similarly affected? I would be interested to know whether there is another college basketball program in the country that has seen as many head/face injuries over a two-year period. In addition to Brekke's significant problems, and now Schuler, I can recall Anderson getting his bell rung after a hard screen and missing a little time a year or two ago, and Huff's broken jaw. I actually think it has been more of a problem at UND in basketball than football, which is hard to believe.

Our football team, especially the defense, would have to actually make contact to get hurt. :p