SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs Sacramento State Predictions

WeAreNorthDakota

SURPRISE! The season's not over! We're just four short days away from UND Football Gameday at the Alerus!

Last year we were able to run on these guys when we couldn't run on anybody and we beat them 35-13 at their place. They had a disastrous start to the season getting shut out in their two FBS games to start the season and then got taken to overtime against Southern Oregon. They've rebounded a bit with a 16 point win over Northern Colorado at home and a 1 point loss to Northern Arizona at home.

This is going to be a very telling game to start the softer part of our schedule to finish the season. We showed signs of life on defense last week but this week should show if that was real improvement by UND or just Vernon Adams being off his game. Sac St has a capable offense (30+ points the last 3 weeks against Big Sky opponents) but they're not nearly as explosive as EWU. Defensively they held Weber State to 3 points but have given up at least 21 points in every other game including 56 points to NAIA Southern Oregon.

This is a game where real improvement needs to be shown. We need to see a dominating performance from someone on Saturday. Whether that means our receivers overwhelming their secondary, a rushing performance like we had last year in Sacramento, a big game out of one of the young guys on defense, or Mollberg showing us why there was so much hype with some big plays against a suspect defense. Despite the poor performances we've seen in our building so far we are still alive for a playoff birth if we win out. For me to believe that's a realistic possibility I need to see a score this week that looks something like 36-14.

My official prediction:

UND 27

Sac St 24

OK, folks, we haven't looked good but you know what, its only football. I see no reason not to enjoy the rest of the season and I am going to continue following the team. A winning BSC record is still possible.

UND 28 Sac St 20

Why does Wiki have the Sac State game and Portland State games turned around? According to Wiki, we're at PSU this weekend. I would have thought this would have been corrected long ago.

I'll wait with making a call on the game. I'm still trying to rationalize a UND victory. Maybe if I wait long enough, I'll find a reason to think we can win.

Why does Wiki have the Sac State game and Portland State games turned around? According to Wiki, we're at PSU this weekend. I would have thought this would have been corrected long ago.

I posted this in the 2013 season thread before the season started and asked if a Mod could change it...guess not.

I'm not going to predict anything for this week since Sac St is a talented team that just last week held a big lead on NAU. There are some things that I will be looking for out of UND though.

Defense. They need to bring the same intensity and tackling from the EWU game. They only missed a couple tackles all game in the open field. Kuksa. Will he build off of last week and be the catalyst for the defense? Turnovers. We need to get in the habit of forcing them. EWU won last week because of turnovers and that is it. Line. The trenches were ok last week. Edwards was in there throwing their center around which was nice to see but we still need more out of this unit. If we blitz the big boys need to eat the blocks so the lbs can feast on the qb and rb.

Offense. Will Joe build on his performance last week? A lot like Kuksa, Joe is the catalyst for the offense. If he can be composed and more aware back there of the situations we can have a big day on offense. If he takes care of the ball we have a great chance of winning. The run game. Last year our bigger back Sutton killed them. Are we going to try and kill them with two little guys or will Sparks and Shaugs get some carries outside of the redzone? Hog. Last year out hogs ran them over and broke their will. They need to do it again this year. Also will we see Adams soon? He could make difference in the run game immediately.