SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Center Replays

BigGame

Fargo is the only town that supports tournaments when they get them? Please make a coherent case to support this. Simple right?

Given the number of people in the FM area compared to GF/EGF, it really is a no brainer as far as revenue is concerned. That is EXCEPT the state hockey tournament. If you have one if the nicest arena in the country, and it is built for hockey, you should host all big tournaments in the state. Especially the biggest one hat occurs annually.

This makes sense for football, but this doesn't explain why the state hockey tournament is being moved to Fargo. Grand Forks teams are almost always in the hunt for state championships, while Fargo teams make much less frequent trips to the state title game. It's only a matter of time before all (or almost all) state tournaments are held in Fargo every single year. Imperial Cass County's Silver Platter keeps getting more and more plates added to it.

Its only in Fargo because of the rotation between the big cities. I am sure the hockey tournament will return to the REA. Its like moving the Minnesota hockey tournament to Bemidji, its fine in theory but kids don't get jacked up all year to play in a tiny arena.

If I remember correctly, the previous scoreboard was 4x3 and this one is 16x9. It likely means additional upgrades have taken place to improve the cameras and other equipment in order to send the 16x9 feed to that board. I'm a little biased but I think an in-house video board does wonders for the fans. I don't think it will necessarily improve the atmosphere but being able to see replays just like at home can sway some people to go to games.

Correct

In addition to the new HD video boards, the Alerus Center also has purchased new HD video cameras and revamped its production room.

Given the number of people in the FM area compared to GF/EGF, it really is a no brainer as far as revenue is concerned. That is EXCEPT the state hockey tournament. If you have one if the nicest arena in the country, and it is built for hockey, you should host all big tournaments in the state. Especially the biggest one hat occurs annually.

By that logic, Bismarck and Minot should lose their tournaments to Fargo too. Try telling them that; there might be a secessionist movement out there! :p

Fargo is NOT Minneapolis; they should not host every single state tournament every single year. Grand Forks has hosted some basketball tournaments in recent years and they have done pretty well. I don't want that to stop.

I think the REA is almost too big for the State Hockey Tourney. I'm intereseted to see how it does in Fargo this year. Maybe GF is too spoiled having the Hockey tourney each year. The Attentance is horibble. It was much beter in the Old Ralph.

I think all the kids bolting high school for junior hockey has hurt the product on the ice. And the new REA is much, much too big for this tournament. The old REA was perfect; the atmosphere was great there. Whether high school hockey will draw in Fargo is a big question mark; hockey is not even close to being the #1 sport there or even #2. I almost would rather have it out west if it isn't in Grand Forks, but I don't know if Bismarck or Minot have the facilities to host it.

I think all the kids bolting high school for junior hockey has hurt the product on the ice. And the new REA is much, much too big for this tournament. The old REA was perfect; the atmosphere was great there. Whether high school hockey will draw in Fargo is a big question mark; hockey is not even close to being the #1 sport there or even #2. I almost would rather have it out west if it isn't in Grand Forks, but I don't know if Bismarck or Minot have the facilities to host it.

Actually hockey is pretty popular here with the Fargo Force. Parking is crap at Scheel's Arena but other than that its not too bad. I just think kids would love to play hockey in the nicest hockey arena not only in this state but anywhere. Football should be at the Fargodome, basketball should rotate but I can see Fargo getting that one when the new SHAC is completed, and hockey should be in Grand Forks.

The Bismarck VFW holds around 1,300 people and it's not nearly as nice as Scheels Arena, much less the Ralph. Hockey is much bigger in Fargo and West Fargo than the moo U crowd would have you believe.

I think the REA is almost too big for the State Hockey Tourney. I'm intereseted to see how it does in Fargo this year. Maybe GF is too spoiled having the Hockey tourney each year. The Attentance is horibble. It was much beter in the Old Ralph.

I agree with this. I played state tournament games in both arenas and the atmosphere was much more intense at the old Ralph. At the time we thought it was cool to play at the new arena but hindsight is 20/20.

Its only in Fargo because of the rotation between the big cities. I am sure the hockey tournament will return to the REA. Its like moving the Minnesota hockey tournament to Bemidji, its fine in theory but kids don't get jacked up all year to play in a tiny arena.

That wouldn't be fine in theory, at all.

You wouldn't think people in Bemidji, Duluth, Warroad, Mankato, Moorhead or even St. Cloud would love to have the tournament in their city instead of MSP?

Kids don't dream of playing state in Bemidji, Duluth, Warroad, etc... its the X and Mariucci, before that it was the St. Paul Civic Center. If you asked the EGF hockey coach if state was held in Warroad or the X, I bet he would pick the X 9 times out of 10. MSHSL is not going to turn down the money they get from sold out sessions at the class AA level to rotate it. The people in the metro would literally riot. And the class A would be upset if their tournament was not at the same site as the other classes, make them seem inferior to the big boys. If La Crescent (way in the SE corner of MN) made it to state from class A, how many people would be willing to drive the 8.5 hours to Warroad?

Anywhos... hopefully the video boards are the first real step in improving the facility. I can't wait to see them Sept 6th.

You wouldn't think people in Bemidji, Duluth, Warroad, Mankato, Moorhead or even St. Cloud would love to have the tournament in their city instead of MSP?

Not enough room. The X is packed for that tourny. It's a special thing. The section tournys are in the smaller towns and they all lead to the big city with the big venue. It's done right.

Kids don't dream of playing state in Bemidji, Duluth, Warroad, etc... its the X and Mariucci, before that it was the St. Paul Civic Center. If you asked the EGF hockey coach if state was held in Warroad or the X, I bet he would pick the X 9 times out of 10. MSHSL is not going to turn down the money they get from sold out sessions at the class AA level to rotate it. The people in the metro would literally riot. And the class A would be upset if their tournament was not at the same site as the other classes, make them seem inferior to the big boys. If La Crescent (way in the SE corner of MN) made it to state from class A, how many people would be willing to drive the 8.5 hours to Warroad?

Anywhos... hopefully the video boards are the first real step in improving the facility. I can't wait to see them Sept 6th.

Just as no one dreams about playing hockey at Scheels Arena, its the REA. Anyways the boards look kick @ss. I can't wait to see them in person.

• Upvote 1

Just as no one dreams about playing hockey at Scheels Arena, its the REA. Anyways the boards look kick @ss. I can't wait to see them in person.

It's a bit different though. We don't have as many teams and not anywhere near the prestige in our tournament. Also the population base is a bit different as well.

No.

If you've attended the MN State HS Hockey Tournament you would understand why.