SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: Idaho St. Bengals

bincitysioux

It's the same stuff, game after game... late hits, hits out of bounds, undisciplined mental mistakes. How come they can't make an open field one-on-one tackle but yet they can knock the snot out of someone after an incomplete pass?

That's the frustrating part. You hear how focused and pissed the team is and how the coaches are pushing and still we have undisciplined play the entire game. C'mon man.

I was only able to watch the first half and then caught bits of the second. Overall I didn't think the defense played all that bad from what I saw, but we were playing Idaho State. I was impressed with a few plays that Kuksa made, and think he has the potential to be that ball hawking safety that we have lacked for a while (dumb personal foul penalty notwithstanding). Thought the tackling was a little bit better today as well, but again you have to take a look at who we were playing. Offense looked good in the first half with the running game and the short passing game, but sounds like everything went to hell in the second half.

I'm also amazed at how many stupid plays the team continues to make. I mean, it seems like any time we need a stop, we might get one and then there's a personal foul. Or the punt return team. How many times have we forced a punt and then an offsides or other stupid penalty gives the other team a first down.

Overall, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't win another game this year. I think UC-Davis and Northern Colorado are the best bets for potential wins, but Sac St and Portland St have went from potential wins to likely losses in my mind. I'd love to be proven wrong, but that's how it seems. I just wish we'd get to see younger players like Labat, Rich, Butler, Sparks, etc. How much did Cheatom play today? I'm just sick of seeing the upperclassmen out there not being effective and still getting all sorts of playing time. Do the coaches favor older players? Are the younger guys not as good as these older guys? If it's the second, then we're in trouble in the future as well...

• Upvote 1

Seven minutes to play and you get the ball near your own 40 with an 11 point lead: What do you do?

What you do do is tell your team that it's possession and power football time. Strap 'em tight. No penalties or you're watching. And you run the clock, even if you go three and out and punt.

What you don't do is perform a 22 second, yes 22 seconds, drive and leave the opposition with a lot of hope.

This is not an effin XBox/Gameboy/toy game. You run this like men, not boys. And I'm looking at the HC and the OC and DC when I say that.

OC: Pull some tape from a decade ago, not for play book, but for clock management. Many Lennon teams would get that ball and go three and out but they'll take either two minutes or a couple TOs from the opposition. You took 22 seconds and left them all 3 TOs.

DC: The penalties to sustain opposition drives have to stop. Make them stop. How? You control who is on the field.

HC: Chest bumps? How about mentoring your young boys who are at OC and DC? How about running the operation?

I watched UND win today, by more luck than skill.

I watched a team with a couple GameBoy players running the O and D, guys who aren't running a game in the real world. And I didn't see a HC mentoring them into reality.

(And that HC had a mentor who showed him how clock management and field position can win games.)

That was just embarrassing. No discipline or intelligence on this team. I will be surprised if they win another game. If ISU had been inept just one less play in this game, they would have won.

Mussman had better not save his job.

Well, I am not against saving his job....but the minimum standard is 7-4.

Well, I am not against saving his job....but the minimum standard is 7-4.

I think the evidence is in, and Mussman is clearly in over his head.

1. Team plays undisciplined and takes absolutely stupid personal foul penalties.

2. On the fake ISU punt I was talking to the TV saying be prepared for the fake punt. It was an obvious time for it.

3. Non-existent clock management. Delay of game penalties are part of that and failure to properly manage the game in the final 6-7 minutes.

4. How many false starts does it take before someone gets a clue?

5. Horrible tackling technique and poor positioning during plays. There were several plays where two Sioux players had the ball carrier cornered, and took each other out while the ball carrier ran down the field. They should know the other player is there and seal off the openings.

6. Defensive lapses allowing receivers to be open by 5 - 10 yards from the nearest defender.

7. Failure by the coaching staff to make proper adjustments at half time. UND dominated play in the first half, got dominated in the second half.

8. UND went into a no huddle offense, and Molberg stood there for 15-20 seconds looking at the sideline for the play. No huddle is a waste if you have to do that.

9. UND won this game only because ISU made more bonehead plays than UND did. UND should have dominated this game and did not. EWU will score 55+ next week and it will be another blowout.

The no huddle offense does not equal a hurry up offense. It can, yes. Tradition has it that you only go no huddle if you want to hurry the pace. But look at the trend in college football over the last 5-10 years and you'll see a good number of teams going to the no huddle offense, line up and then look over to the sideline to get the playcall. It takes some of the presnap read pressure off of the quarterback and puts it in the hands of the OC. I have no problem with this type of offense and to be quite honest, Mollberg actually looks better running it that way.

The no huddle offense does not equal a hurry up offense. It can, yes. Tradition has it that you only go no huddle if you want to hurry the pace. But look at the trend in college football over the last 5-10 years and you'll see a good number of teams going to the no huddle offense, line up and then look over to the sideline to get the playcall. It takes some of the presnap read pressure off of the quarterback and puts it in the hands of the OC. I have no problem with this type of offense and to be quite honest, Mollberg actually looks better running it that way.

Okay, I understand that. I just thought that it took too long to get the play in.

A win is a win but doesn't change the current status of this FB program. 12 penalties for 141 yards says is all...immature, selfish, and undisciplined...and it all starts at the top w Muss. And I wont even get into game management or play calling issues from yesterday. A 35+ point a**kicking next week will remove the luster from this big win.

• Upvote 1

To me the gawk at the sideline offense is a joke. It looks like the team has no idea of what's going on.

Huddle up. Call a play with a single simple run/pass read at the line.

Line up. No motion, or at most one motion to determine man/zone. Eliminate the false starts.

Man up. Go do your job on the play -- block, run, pass, catch, ... cover, tackle, whatever, ... but do it ... legally.

Get up and Shut up. Good bad or indifferent pick yourself up and get ready to ...

Huddle up again.

This base formula should apply to offense and defense. And it's not difficult. See: winning teams.

• Upvote 1

Core issues are core issues, win or lose.

A W does not fix core issues.

The same core issues we've seen the last few years.....tackling, penalties, undisciplined assignment football.

No doubt in my mind that EWU goes for fifty plus next week. Too bad its homecoming.

“It’s a step forward in terms of the closeness, but it was a very winnable game and we hurt ourselves way more than they did,” said Idaho State coach Mike Kramer.

This season continues to provide hilarious backhanded compliments, but I guess that's what happens when two bad teams do battle. You know both teams will stink out loud, so which team will ultimately hurt themselves more? Fortunately it was the Bungles.

• Upvote 2

Someone was telling me this morning that we only had 2 first downs in the 2nd half and our offense had a time of possession of not even 7 minutes in the 2nd half. Ouch... It's hard to believe we won the game. The defense certainly deserves the criticism it has received this year and the last few, but on Saturday, they must have done just enough to preserve the "W". Sounds like the offense needs to get going. If UND turns it over and is penalized as much as they were against Idaho St, this Saturday...it will be very difficult to watch.