SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: Idaho St. Bengals

bincitysioux

I thought the defense was fine against ISU. They gave up some yards, but they forced some turnovers, and got off the field in certain situations. They did not do that at all against Montana St. or Montana. They did do that for about 2 quarters against SDSU. Offensively, they ran the ball well against the Bengals and that is only going to help Mollberg, or Bartels. But you have to consider the competition as well. Regarding the QB play, I thought Mollberg looked alright, but he has to stop throwing into triple coverage. That first INT was awful. He's young, and will get better, but at this point he needs to learn quick, because this defense is not one that has shown that it can bail him out...............

Someone was telling me this morning that we only had 2 first downs in the 2nd half and our offense had a time of possession of not even 7 minutes in the 2nd half. Ouch... It's hard to believe we won the game. The defense certainly deserves the criticism it has received this year and the last few, but on Saturday, they must have done just enough to preserve the "W". Sounds like the offense needs to get going. If UND turns it over and is penalized as much as they were against Idaho St, this Saturday...it will be very difficult to watch.

I have been very underwhelmed by our QB play. I understand Mollberg is a freshman but he has had a bunch of bad turnovers and isn't consistent with decisions or accuracy. I could improve but UND is good enough to just hand the ball over to the other team.

I have been very underwhelmed by our QB play. I understand Mollberg is a freshman but he has had a bunch of bad turnovers and isn't consistent with decisions or accuracy. I could improve but UND is good enough to just hand the ball over to the other team.

What Joe has shown in games seems to be why the coaches were reluctant to name a starter from fall camp. Bartels reads better, but Joe has better physical ability.

Just need to give Mollberg the confidence that he won't get pulled even if he has a bad play or two. Give him the tools and confidence and he can only get better.

It's the coaches fault for havin to start freshman quarterbacks. And before that it was transfer after transfer at that position. They musta forgot to recruit good qbs that wanted to stay and develop within the program three and four years ago. :(

Just need to give Mollberg the confidence that he won't get pulled even if he has a bad play or two. Give him the tools and confidence and he can only get better.

It's the coaches fault for havin to start freshman quarterbacks. And before that it was transfer after transfer at that position. They musta forgot to recruit good qbs that wanted to stay and develop within the program three and four years ago. :sad:

Weren't Bradley and Hanson the only two transfers? Two years in a row the QB recruits left, that creates quite a hole.

That's my point. Why are these kids leaving? Coaches recruited the wrong type of players? Players not liking the coaching staff? Either way it's on the coaches if you ask me that they put UND in that position. UND would probably be starting another transfer this year had their been one. And UND "got lucky" to win as many games as they did with Hanson. (even though he got hurt) I think his credentials/confidence/leadership helped build up the team around him. Otherwise last year might have looked more like this year.

Weren't Bradley and Hanson the only two transfers? Two years in a row the QB recruits left, that creates quite a hole.

Riddle left because he got his girlfriend pregnant in the spring of his senior year - hardly the coaches fault. Who else "voluntarily" left?

It's the coaches fault for havin to start freshman quarterbacks. And before that it was transfer after transfer at that position. They musta forgot to recruit good qbs that wanted to stay and develop within the program three and four years ago. :sad:

Couldn't agree more - especially since our #1 QB last year fell into their laps.

Riddle left because he got his girlfriend pregnant in the spring of his senior year - hardly the coaches fault. Who else "voluntarily" left?

Wasn't talking about him.

Demler and Comes were both recruited in 2010 and would be juniors this year. Since two QB's were brought in with the 2010 class, they didn't bring any in for 2011. That is where the hole in the QB recruiting comes from.

How good was Riddle even? He was going to be a senior but had barely seen the field? (I don't remember hearing much about him.)

How good was Riddle even? He was going to be a senior but had barely seen the field? (I don't remember hearing much about him.)

This was his first year on campus. Moved back home to be with his baby and girlfriend. Left on understandable terms, who knows, maybe he ends back up here?

Wasn't talking about him.

Demler and Comes were both recruited in 2010 and would be juniors this year. Since two QB's were brought in with the 2010 class, they didn't bring any in for 2011. That is where the hole in the QB recruiting comes from.

Gotcha. Two complete whiffs on our staff's part.

Gotcha. Two complete whiffs on our staff's part.

No clue why either of them left, but Demler was rated as the #2 QB in Wisconsin, won the award for the top QB in Wisconsin his senior year and I believe was a 2 star recruit. I don't know what Comes accolades were coming into UND but I believe he had some pretty good numbers out of California.