SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I recall something (internet video maybe) interviewing DeBoer where he said that when he was at USF he had a library of tape on UND and modeled a lot of what he tried to do at USF after UND. In that same piece I recall him saying UND would be a dream job for him. But now I can't find it.*

*And with that I have put this site's crack team of investigators on the case. ;)

Of course all sexual assaults can't be stopped; however, that doesn't mean a college and its programs aren't obligated to deal with them in the most effective manner and to do what they can to prevent them. Title IX requires it. If students file complaints with the federal government schools are sued and held financially responsible. So the question that always needs to be asked when sexual assaults occurre is how were they handled and what did the school do to prevent them from occurring. You might not like it, but that is the legal framework a school has to operate within. As far as I can tell, Pflugrad didn't do a particularly good job handling the issue, and I haven't seen anything from him that suggests that he would do anything different if a similar event occurred. Absent that a college would be putting itself at risk if they hired him.

You're claiming I don't like that coaches and administrators have to report inappropriate behavior and intervene to the best of their abilities? That is common sense administrative policy, so not only do I "like it", but I agree with it. Nevertheless, there's always a risk when you hire someone, certain individuals moreso than others. I believe some, including yourself, are associating Pflugrad with a greater risk than what actually exists. If he does get a second chance to be a head coach, you'll see zero administrative faults on his part, particularly when it comes to following disciplinary policies and communicating with administrators.

I recall something (internet video maybe) interviewing DeBoer where he said that when he was at USF he had a library of tape on UND and modeled a lot of what he tried to do at USF after UND. In that same piece I recall him saying UND would be a dream job for him. But now I can't find it.*

*And with that I have put this site's crack team of investigators on the case. ;)

Closest I could find in a quick search:

Lennon said he and DeBoer have similar coaching philosophies.

"A lot of what he's doing with the Sioux Falls offense is what we were doing when I was at North Dakota," he said. "I like how diversified it is. I like the run and pass combo package that they have. I think it will fit in very well.

"It's not going to be a radical overhaul where we go into a completely different philosophical mode," Lennon said.

I see Morrell runs the 3-4 defense as well.

Morrell has coached at Sioux Falls and Montana Tech......

If he's hired as DC, that's plain ridiculous. Never mind FBS experience, he doesn't even have FCS experience. I'd rather have Kotelnicki at DC than Morrell.

Edit: I see he coached one season for USD as defensive coordinator in 2009. That still makes for a weak resume. If DeBoer gets the job, hopefully he has more qualified connections than just his USF buddies.

If he's hired as DC, that's plain ridiculous. Never mind FBS experience, he doesn't even have FCS experience. I'd rather have Kotelnicki at DC than Morrell.

Edit: I see he coached one season for USD as defensive coordinator in 2009. That still makes for a weak resume. If DeBoer gets the job, hopefully he has more qualified connections than just his USF buddies.

Bubba use to be a NAIA defensive coordinator too.

Guys that can coach don't have to have FBS or NFL experience to be good. Good, Great and Bad coaches work at all levels of football. I really don't understand why people don't get it. Art Briles stepped out of HS and built UH back into a winning program. Kevin Sumlin is good but a lot his success is due to what Briles did before him. Gus Malzahn seems to be doing OK and it wasn't long ago he was a HS coach that was given a chance. Brian Kelly is a great coach that someone had to take a shot on at one point or another because he was just a very successful D2 coach.

I am not saying he would or would not be a good DC but I do know that you have zero idea.

But he worked his way up. He didn't just jump from NAIA to a big position at an FCS school. If he was brought in as a position coach it's not so bad.

It's ok to jump from NAIA to D2 but not ok to jump to FCS?

Would bubba to in the FCS now if it wasn't for his "UND Buddies"?

Guys that can coach don't have to have FBS or NFL experience to be good. Good, Great and Bad coaches work at all levels of football. I really don't understand why people don't get it. Art Briles stepped out of HS and built UH back into a winning program. Kevin Sumlin is good but a lot his success is due to what Briles did before him. Gus Malzahn seems to be doing OK and it wasn't long ago he was a HS coach that was given a chance. Brian Kelly is a great coach that someone had to take a shot on at one point or another because he was just a very successful D2 coach.

I am not saying he would or would not be a good DC but I do know that you have zero idea.

Brian Kelly (lost to Dale Lennon in d2 championship game) took Notre Dame to Championship game.

Dale Lennon (lost to Brian Kelly in d2 championship game) might get fire from an FCS school.

At that time both coaches seemed about "equal."

Brian Kelly (lost to Dale Lennon in d2 championship game) took Notre Dame to Championship game.

Dale Lennon (lost to Brian Kelly in d2 championship game) might get fire from an FCS school.

At that time both coaches seemed about "equal."

I believe his OC at GVSU is also a head coach at the FBS level now.