SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I should also add- I don't agree with Faison taking the time he has. He should have had someone named today. My point of post #1625 above was that FU has a few more applicants with connections to the program while Gene Taylor was AD than we have.

While I was certainly hoping the HC would be named this week, I still believe that there is a "method to Faison's madness" - he certainly hasn't been sitting on his hands the last couple of weeks (of course, the Hardee fiasco didn't help). As far as his interview is concerned, he isn't going to provide full the full story of what is going on.

Despite my having concerns about recruiting, hiring good coordinators and assistants before others may get them, etc., I would much rather wait a few days and get the "right" guy - the right guy to direct our FB program the next few years.

I would love to see what happens if Taylor was to circumnavigate the system. You don't think there are people waiting for him and NDSU to throw another middle finger towards the legislature and SBoHE for not following processes/procedures/laws/etc. Steam keeps gaining that it will be one of the cooridnators staying so it is likely a moot point but if not, he isn't going to get around the process.

I think all FU would have to do is hire someone as an assistant to Bohl then when Bohl officially leaves you just promote him to head coach. Sounds like something GT would try. Could even start recruiting right away

I know not too many people are as high on DeBoer as they would have been three or four years ago, but it should be noted that his overall record as a head coach is 67-3. Regardless of what level you're talking about, that's pretty astounding. And he's still not even 40 years old.

I know not too many people are as high on DeBoer as they would have been three or four years ago, but it should be noted that his overall record as a head coach is 67-3. Regardless of what level you're talking about, that's pretty astounding. And he's still not even 40 years old.

He'd be in my top 3, with Phlu and Caruso.

I agree...if he applies he has to be considered...and I'm sure 67-3 has to get you some "points" as well!

I've been wondering about him. I don't follow MVFC closely, so what's the deal with this offense since going to SIU? Where does it rank? What does he have to work with in terms of talent? Did it get better or worse after he arrived? Who did he replace (I can't remember who Dale chose as his first offensive coordinator)? Has it gotten better or worse since his arrival? Anyone have any insight?

I've been wondering about him. I don't follow MVFC closely, so what's the deal with this offense since going to SIU? Where does it rank? What does he have to work with in terms of talent? Did it get better or worse after he arrived? Who did he replace (I can't remember who Dale chose as his first offensive coordinator)? Has it gotten better or worse since his arrival? Anyone have any insight?

The SIU offenses haven't been explosive under him, but have been pretty consistent--mid-20's to 30 ppg and mid-to-high 300's per game in terms of yardage. Pretty balanced between run and pass. Knowing how Lennon prefers to be conservative on offense and rely on defense, special teams and field position, I'm not surprised SIU hasn't had especially explosive offenses. UND was much the same way until the two years with Chappell and Dressler. I don't know how they've ranked in the MVFC, or how they compared to Lennon's first couple of seasons.

The SIU offenses haven't been explosive under him, but have been pretty consistent--mid-20's to 30 ppg and mid-to-high 300's per game in terms of yardage. Pretty balanced between run and pass. Knowing how Lennon prefers to be conservative on offense and rely on defense, special teams and field position, I'm not surprised SIU hasn't had especially explosive offenses. UND was much the same way until the two years with Chappell and Dressler. I don't know how they've ranked in the MVFC, or how they compared to Lennon's first couple of seasons.

Keep in mind the defenses they have to play against week in and week out in the MVFC. ;)

In seriousness he's in my top 3 of the applicants who have applied just cause you can't argue his success as a head coach.

According to his bio on SIU's website his team broke the school record for offensive yards in a single game in 2012, breaking the previous record set in 2010 which was DeBoer's first season as OC. Per the Missouri Valley's stats here are the rankings and offensive statistics for DeBoer's 4 years at SIU and the 2 years prior to his arrival.

4th in MVFC in scoring at 28.5 ppg

3rd in MVFC in total offense at 384.9 ypg

7th in MVFC in scoring at 22.5 ppg

8th in MVFC in total offense at 295.9 ypg

6th in MVFC in scoring at 25.7 ppg

3rd in MVFC in total offense at 377.8 ypg

5th in MVFC in scoring at 30.1 ppg

7th in MVFC in total offense at 378.2 ypg

1st in MVFC in scoring at 34 ppg

3rd in MVFC in total offense at 394.8 ypg

4th in MVFC in scoring at 29.6 ppg

6th in MVFC in total offense at 356 ypg

Not to mention he's currently mentoring under the guy that won a championship for UND.

According to his bio on SIU's website his team broke the school record for offensive yards in a single game in 2012, breaking the previous record set in 2010 which was DeBoer's first season as OC. Per the Missouri Valley's stats here are the rankings and offensive statistics for DeBoer's 4 years at SIU and the 2 years prior to his arrival.

4th in MVFC in scoring at 28.5 ppg

3rd in MVFC in total offense at 384.9 ypg

7th in MVFC in scoring at 22.5 ppg

8th in MVFC in total offense at 295.9 ypg

6th in MVFC in scoring at 25.7 ppg

3rd in MVFC in total offense at 377.8 ypg

5th in MVFC in scoring at 30.1 ppg

7th in MVFC in total offense at 378.2 ypg

1st in MVFC in scoring at 34 ppg

3rd in MVFC in total offense at 394.8 ypg

4th in MVFC in scoring at 29.6 ppg

6th in MVFC in total offense at 356 ypg

It appears that DeBoer replaced a guy by the name of Phil Longo (who was Bubba's offensive coordinator in Duluth before going to SIU with him in 2008). Longo left SIU for Youngstown State in 2010, but only lasted there one year and is now the offensive coordinator at Slippery Rock (DII). Looks like the offense regressed a little bit after DeBoer took over.

It appears that DeBoer replaced a guy by the name of Phil Longo (who was Bubba's offensive coordinator in Duluth before going to SIU with him in 2008). Longo left SIU for Youngstown State in 2010, but only lasted there one year and is now the offensive coordinator at Slippery Rock (DII). Looks like the offense regressed a little bit after DeBoer took over.

So Bubba gets the HC he probably looks to Longo for OC?

Maybe he is one of those guys who is a better HC than an OC, kinda the opposite of Mussman. If he gets some good assistants he could be a very good hire.

I've got him in the top 3.